Why is coffee bad for you?

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've gotten pretty hooked on StarBucks (not like I have to have it, but they got some good ****)...Anyways, I'm in great shape and everything, but why is coffee bad for you? Is this a habit I need to avoid? Is it just the caffeine that makes it bad or is it unhealthy?

oatmealandtuna

Don Juan
Reaction score
Obviously if you add all sorts of sugar and cream to coffee it'll be bad but for just plain caffeinated coffee...it's bad mainly because of the caffeine. The main reason why I avoid it is because caffeine interferes with the conversion of "good fats" found in flax seed oil and other things into some essential fatty acids.

Polaris

Don Juan
Reaction score
It raises cortisol levels.

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
theres not really anything good about it. i stay away from almost all caffine. if you need caffine mabye you arent sleeping enough... and thats really bad for you.

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By no means do I need caffeine. I'm in college and over winter break, it wasn't convenient for me to go to StarBucks so I had none whatsoever. I'm not hooked at all. I just love the taste! I don't drink any coke at all either so it's just that I like the taste of StarBucks. Sleep isn't a problem either...I get my nine hours and take naps too!

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if you really have to have it try gettin decaf.

xyzzy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I havent read anything good about coffee.

In fact when my dad had high blood pressure what was the first thing his doctor asked him? Not "do you smoke" or "how much alcohol do you use" but "How much coffee do you drink?"

Personally I only drink green tea, which has very little caffeine in it and supposedly the tannins in it are good for you. Buy only the loose stuff and not the teabags full of sawdust.

war_eagle

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've heard of bodybuilders who drink coffee (for the caffiene) before lifting in order to give themselves more energy. However, this probably isn't a great idea since it can lead to dehydration. Just make sure you're getting enough water.

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by war_eagle
this probably isn't a great idea since it can lead to dehydration.
I think I recall someone saying that it can also lead to overtraining.

Knockout King

Don Juan
Reaction score
Coffee is bad for you for 2 reasons

1) The caffiene level, caffiene lowers your metabolism

2) The acidity level, coffee is very acidic and can disrupt the pH levels in your blood (of course, coffee is nothing compared to soda here, so soda is much worse than coffee, but you prolly already knew that :))

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It isn't that bad for you. In fact it creates some fat burning effects.

It does discolor your teeth.

It may prevent Parkinsons

I go off it from time to time. I generally feel more energetic when I am off it though, because caffeine is a rollercoaster drug for me energy wise!

aznbreakerjrey

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally try not to drink any caffeine at all. One bottle of coke and my hand starts shaking! It's crazy. I also agree with xyzzy because just last night my mum had to go to the doc and he said the exact same thing about her blood pressure. No more caffeine for her!

In fact, I prefer bubble tea. They've got some good shiet.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like the others said, it has many negative effects on your health. yet in times where you need a QUICK energizer, it can be ok.

The one time you NEVER want to drink coffe is before or after a meal. The caffine blocks the absorbsion of important nutreins, mainly iron. Iron carries oxygen in the blood so you have more stamina when you have your RDA of iron.

So basically, too much coffee = bad. Once every now and then is OK.