Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why do I need math to be a business major?!

Dadude548

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is mostly just a rant.

I'm basically two classes short of getting my MIS degree (Management Information Systems), all I have left is Business Calculus and Business Statistics.

I absolutely hate math and have struggled with it my entire life. Somehow I manged to get through Econ, Finance and Accounting, but these two classes are kicking my ass.

I've either dropped or failed Cal three times and I failed Stats the first time I took it and it looks like I'm about to fail it again because none of the materiel for the Ch 2 test preview is making any sense.

I've been in college far too long and I want to graduate and start working but math is really holding me back. Which sucks so freaking much is that I know that these two math classes have absolutely no relevance to my career.

I don't know what I can do.

Dadude548

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hah, an extra two years. The way I see it, it will only be an extra year for me.... :(

Yeah I really think I should get a tutor.

I'm actually taking stats right now in the summer but even though it's the only class I have now, the pace is too fast and I'm not comprehending it. I'm going to take Cal at a Jr college and have it be the only class I'm taking. Though I think agree with you that I should get a tutor, most likely I have a math related learning disability. Though if I fail Stats, which I most likely will, I don't think I'll be able to take it at a JC, and then I'll be really screwed.

Personally, I'd take death by drowning. It seems to be quicker and less painful.

Upside

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I work in advertising and one of my biggest regrets was not taking more advanced math classes. I got a degree in Economics so I am no stranger to calculus and statistics, but learning the advanced stuff will pay dividends down the road when people WANT to listen to you. Of course you can just sweet talk your way into why certain investments or ideas are good, but if you can back that up with serious number crunching then you become invaluable. I'm slowly teaching myself more advance statistical models myself and the stuff I have already learned I utilize in my day to day work.

Are your tests not curved? Most stats and calc classes are graded on a curve so while it's hard to get a good grade, most of the kids I saw failing out didn't try (which doesn't sound like you). And don't get me wrong, calc and stats were still challenging for me. I was never really the smartest kid in the room. My word of advice is to do the homework and practice problems OVER AND OVER.

Quick story. Last semester of university I took managerial accounting. 3 exams for 25% a pop and a group presentation for the other 25%. I bombed the first exam and got like a 60%, though with the curve at the time it was like an F+). Thought I was going to have to drop/fail which I have never done. I studied my ASS off for the other two exams for like a week before the other exams doing problems OVER and OVER again. Got like a 95% on the second exam and a 100% on the third. Group presentation was like a 95% as well. Got an A in the class, but I hated ****ing going to bed at 5 AM. So don't be so down on yourself! If you really commit to your homework and stuff, I don't think it should be that bad. Just keep at it. In my opinion, the best part about working is not having to do any homework lol. I mean I still work 9 hours a day, but when I get home I get to lay on my ass, watch some sports, hang out, whatever. Sometimes I work late but it comes with the territory. Once you hit the light at the end of the tunnel, it literally becomes somewhat easier.

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I will be graduating with a business degree this year and i feel you on the math,it can be tough. It is good to know this stuff though, many concepts in business school and future work require knowing forecasting and optimization techniques.

I actually found stats to be easy. If they give you a formula sheet on the exam(which is insane not to), it's just plugging in the numbers and working it out.

Calc kicked my ass though, had to take it twice. The worst class i ever took was business finance, the uncurved class average on the final was 55 lol
Look on youtube for tutorial videos on concepts that you're learning, they helped me out a lot.
Have to say though, i am SO happy to be finally done with all the core business classes. Just a couple of bulls* electives and i'm out of there!
good luck.