Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why are singers/actors/athletes so "important" in society?

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do people spend so much time talking, thinking, analizing, debating, over something so useless, unproductive and non trascendental?

It's like debating over some ... arquitect, a random one. I can imagine debating over the best ones, but over some random ones? It's just a job, like any other. Maybe a job that doesn't apply because it does matter to you and you don't have to be the "best" to be relevant is politics, and I can understand people debating and watching that stuff in a civilized country like the US, and if you don't believe that look at politics in most countries around the world. And I'm not asking in a self glorifying manner, I'm humbly asking to know the dynamics of society. And I was just using the politics as an example, it is not to be a political thread.

Unbridled_Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Their fame appeals to the vain and narcissistic side of people.

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unbridled_Phoenix said:
Their fame appeals to the vain and narcissistic side of people.
Why are they famous in the first place? Why isn't say... the richest guy in the state a famous person? They are, but compared to mediocre artists or athletes, they are not famous.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because the modern marketing machine is truly an amazingly powerful device.

The most recent case that blows my mind is this Justin Bieber kid. He has no talent, his lyrics blow, and yet he's now 'huge'. W.t.f.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Human nature is to better ourselves...

Media/Entertainment puts random people in front of us who were born with pretty facial features and tells us they're better than us, so everyone looks at them and tries to be like them.

Women/gays/AFCs drive the entertainment industry, men profit from it.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Human nature is to better ourselves...

Media/Entertainment puts random people in front of us who were born with pretty facial features and tells us they're better than us, so everyone looks at them and tries to be like them.

Women/gays/AFCs drive the entertainment industry, men profit from it.
Exactly what I was going to say.

But this doesn't account for athletes who are often worshiped by "manly men."

I think overall famous people (including athletes) are so relevant because people generally need someone to follow.

In my experience the more intellectual a person is the less likely they follow any type of celebrity.

Of course I'd also argue that some celebrites do offer quite a bit of value.
There is nothing like seeing an awesome musical performance or a funny stand-up routine.

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
You all realize you're talking about people who talk about celebraties, right?
I am talking about ourselves. If you have interaction with people (plural) you will talk about something concerning athletes or artists. Some less, some more (especially if you hang around with a group of women or men with no ambition in their *job*). As I said, I'm humbly asking about the nature of societal interaction.

Teflon: Why do you think the more intellectual a person is the less fame he will have?

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if it's just a discussion on why people talk about inane stuff, it's because they're bored. Settled societies have always been like that because people weren't trying to survive 24 hours a day like they would have when they were nomadic. Nothing is new about it except news travels faster.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
athletes and artists are living the lives we all want to live. Athletes get paid to play the sport they have been playing since age 3. Women want them, and men want to be them. No one knowingly wants to be an out of shape overworked CEO, even though they are rich many times over compared to the athlete.

Basically these people embody the glory of life that the followers wish they could have, but never seem to get.

Pie in the Sky

Don Juan
Reaction score
In our society we just love to put people on pedestals. I am not really sure the reason we do this. Maybe people have some psychological need to worship something. Look at this shooting at Ft. Hood. I guarantee the female officer who shot that dude will be hailed as a hero and will do the entire talk show circuit. Not that she isn't brave, but damn she was just doing her job.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always found it bizarre how many non-athlete men are so obsessed with pro athletes, particularly football players. I think it's a way for them to live vicariously through others and fantasize about doing things they never will. They also get to feel like they are "part of something". It's pretty pathetic.

Don Israel

Don Juan
Reaction score
SamePendo said:
Why do people spend so much time talking, thinking, analizing, debating, over something so useless, unproductive and non trascendental?

.... And I'm not asking in a self glorifying manner, I'm humbly asking to know the dynamics of society.
Without trying to impose a 'which society is better' impression to my response : the reason why we place much importance to them is in pudding.

What's in the pudding? Their lifestyle and everything associated to it : Talent, independance, creativity, looks (this is one is mostly in relation to actors and such), money, the things that money can bring , power, fame and the list goes on.

Those are why the majority of the world tend to 'glorify' these persons.

There is nothing wrong or strange or odd about this fact, it's simply the way that it is. If you believe you descended from monkeys, even cavemen had their 'superstar' : the guy that was able to kill a mammoth in a single spear throw maybe? I'm sure he had a whole harem of groupies that would share a piece of his meat..and the meat of the animal he killed.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we talk about them because they are a point of commnality in our lives. I'm not sure about the rest of you but just about everyone i know likes or has a favorite movie, sports team, song, painting, or whatever arts and entetainment the follow or take as a hobby in their free time. it also depends on what circles we all travel in. if you participate in clubs that embrace science or politics you would just as likely talk about newton as someone else would jeter or rohdan. they're either accomplishing or accomplished something of significance or of intrest in their field that others have heard of or are interested in. hence why they are the topic of discussion and center of attention of groups of varying size at given times.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SamePendo said:
I am talking about ourselves. If you have interaction with people (plural) you will talk about something concerning athletes or artists. Some less, some more (especially if you hang around with a group of women or men with no ambition in their *job*). As I said, I'm humbly asking about the nature of societal interaction.

Teflon: Why do you think the more intellectual a person is the less fame he will have?

Actually what I'm saying is that the more intellectual people (intellectual men, anyway) are less likely to have any interest in the lives of otherwise famous people.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand what the fuss is all about. We men watch them because it's Excellence on display. Now, TV and "actors" I agree, I do not understand the following there, because it's all charades and hooplah, deception with the camera. SPORTS, you're either the sh!t or you're not. There is no facade in the Olympics. Running and coordination is not just natural, but also hard work to keep up over years of playing. They Still have to practice, and if they complain or don't feel like "working" or playing in the game, then they can lose that fat paycheck too. I'm sure these overpaid athletes would like to quit, because I guess the upkeep of their physicality can get tiring over time, but most do it anyway, because they want the fame, they want the money, they want the benefits. It's the big boys club.

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the sooner you realize that the masses are just stupid, the better off you'll be.

the vast majority of any developed society on this planet is chock-full of idiots. that's not just an opinion of mine. even the founding fathers (of the usa, anyway) carried a great deal of stress into the establishment of our democracy because they worried about the stupid people voting for the wrong people for the wrong reasons, thus the reason for electoral colleges and other things of that nature.

it's not a secret that stupid people don't know which path they should be on, and as someone already stated, we are conditioned from a young age to think that the better looking of us (movie stars and the like) are actually BETTER than us. this leads to the idea that they must know better what the correct route is.

stupid logic for the stupid people of the world. luckily we dont fall in that category :D

sageproduct

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's simple, and my opinion isn't that they necessarily live the lives we want. I believe that they entertain us, and that is why we follow. Politics, business, and humanitarians don't entertain most people. Sports, movies, and music do.

GQ_Confidence_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think its almost become a conspiracy to dumb society down.

It's *so* trivial. Balloon Boy. Octo mom. Gloria Alred. Angelina Jolie. John Mayer/Jennifer Aniston. Is there any difference between these stories? No. I think its designed to alter your sense of reality. Used to distract the public from more important things going on.