Who knows a lot about cars? I need advice badly

Knockout King

Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, here's my situation.

A) I have no money, it all went to maintainance on my old car

B) My old car is now in the scrap heap

What I need to know is, with my EXTREMELY limited budget, what kind of car can I get that runs well, requires reasonably low amounts of maintainance, and that I may be able to afford in the near future? I don't care what the thing looks like, I just need something, anything. And of course I am more than willing to purchase something used, so take that into account with prices.

Also, if anyone knows of a reliable website where I can find this type of information, that would be great as well.

Thanks

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone will have different preferences. My pick is an old Nissan, Honda, or Toyota. The economy models are cheaper to fix when they break. I like Nissan trucks and old Honda Preludes.

Last edited:

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
How much do you have to spend, how long do you plan on keeping the car, how many miles do you drive per day?

Knockout King

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek Flint
How much do you have to spend, how long do you plan on keeping the car, how many miles do you drive per day?
1) Exact figures are unimportant, I just need something cheap in general. Right now I only have like $350 in my account. I'm not sure if I can get a loan either. I have a job and all so I can save more money, and I have a ride to get there, but I just need something as cheap as possible that will run well.

2) Don't knwo how long I want to keep the car, however long it takes before I can afford something better. Hopefully no longer than 2-4 years

3) I drive 15-25 miles/day on average.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
$350.00 won't get you much, except for maybe a bucket that will constantly break down, and cost you a lot of money every time it does.

Some car dealers, new or used, will carry just about anyone, but at a high interest rate.

You might have to suck it up and use that $350.00 for a down payment and make payments on a decent used car.

Knockout King

Don Juan
Reaction score
That's what I had planned on doing in the first place, so what kind of carr would be a good choice? Like I said, I don't care what it looks like, I just want something that can get me where I need to go and requires manageable levels of maintainance.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you dont have much of an option....as much as i hate civics as theyre everywhere, theres a reason for that; theyre reliable, economic and run forever. with regular oil changes and little maintence they can go up to like 500,000 miles with not many problems. im sure you can find one with half of that mileage for around $800, i dont know about $350 though.

JH6

Don Juan
Reaction score
get a 96-97 ford thunderbird/cougar.

Can't kill them and girls dig them.