Who here does Mixed Martial Arts?

MMA Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Which of you guys do MMA, and if you do, what fighting combinations do u include?

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard MMA isn't that great. You learn just a few kicks an punches, but nothing beyond that. It's like learning one word in ten different languages. I gotta admit I've never tried it though. That's just what a trainer told me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MMA Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
MMA is using more than one martial art to fight your opponent. If i were to throw a punch and kick there I wouldn't go very far. To be a proper MMA fighter you need to know a good ground game, and a good stand up game, including a range of kicks, punches, throws, and once getting to the floor either stopping your opponent using a series of submissions (Arm-bar, choke), or pounding them till knock-out.

I've seen a variety of clubs that claim to teach MMA but don't teach the real thing. I'm not sure what its like to learn in America (I'm from Australia), but here proper MMA include a variety of coaches that are experts in Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What club do you train at. You can PM me if you want

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you guys from oz eh...

what town?

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cool im on the gold coast... surfers p.

what club you train at?

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have recently quit to gain some muscle before I get back into it. Trying to do both made me ill.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At my school they do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (no gi), wrestling (adapted for MMA), and boxing/Muay Thai.

I don't think it really matters though. A punch is a punch, no matter what "style" the guy throwing it claims to be from; a shoulder lock is a shoulder lock whether you call it a key lock or a hammerlock.

Rudra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BluEyes said:
cool im on the gold coast... surfers p.
Cool :) Went to TSS for a year back in the beginning of the 90s)) McKinley Hs.
Greets, mate.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I train under the Krav Maga system. It's a blend of many different styles. What I think sets KM apart from basic MMA is that they incorporate self-defense techiques for the streets whereas MMA is made for the ring. So in KM, we'll learn things like how to get out of headlocks, what do to do if you are pinned against a wall, defenses against knives and guns(as well as how to use them as too). As for the fighting style, it takes its punches from boxing, incorporates the shin kicks and elbows of Muay Thai, uses Brazilian Jujitsu for the groundgame, and uses some throws from judo. The training is oriented not towards tournaments or competitions but for realistic use in the streets as this is the system they teach to the Israeli Defense Forces.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding street fighting, pavement changes a lot as well. In MMA and UFC matches, the floor gives a little when they slam into it. This reduces the effectiveness of throws, slams, and takedowns as compared to on pavement. A simple takedown on a hard surface can cause broken ribs or a concussion.

The disadvantage to being on the ground in any street fight is that the other guy's friends can run up and kick you in the head.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wolf said:
I PERSONALLY don't believe in Martial Arts, it looks cool and works well in the dojo, but if someone approaches you in the street, you will most likely:

A) Be too scared/shocked to put it to use
B) Not be good/quick enough to block all the punches
C) Be screwed because they have weapons...

I suggest:

www.streetfightsecrets.com

Bob Spour is one of the guys on there (Ex SAS soldier) and he can teach you some cool stuff.

Dude, nobody can learn how to fight from watching a DVD. It's hard enough to learn how to fight even if you take an actual class. Learning to fight is like learning how to drive, you can only learn by actually doing it. I wouldn't recommend going to any martial arts school that doesn't put a heavy emphasis on frequent full-contact sparring. That is the only way to learn how to fight.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wolf said:
I PERSONALLY don't believe in Martial Arts, it looks cool and works well in the dojo, but if someone approaches you in the street, you will most likely:

A) Be too scared/shocked to put it to use
B) Not be good/quick enough to block all the punches
C) Be screwed because they have weapons...

So it can be just like DJ boot camp... approach random people in the mall and use your best fight provoking actions and words and get in lots of fights so when it really counts you're prepared...

First week: poke guys you pass in the ribs.
Second week: touch people's girlfriends
Third week: call people racial slurs
etc

Please post the link to your journal here.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jeet Kune Do.
the chief aim is to make the art one's own,understanding from a scientific principle point of view, and get riid of the notion of "styles".

The idea is to be functional. Build skills against all types of opponents, and different angles of attack, and train yourself to get to the point where you "see" everything as just one. No differentiationg, this or that, this styel versus that style....

fatkins

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Regarding street fighting, pavement changes a lot as well. In MMA and UFC matches, the floor gives a little when they slam into it. This reduces the effectiveness of throws, slams, and takedowns as compared to on pavement. A simple takedown on a hard surface can cause broken ribs or a concussion.

The disadvantage to being on the ground in any street fight is that the other guy's friends can run up and kick you in the head.
Yea lol, if you've ever seen The Ultimate Fighter 5 where two guys went at it at the house, one guy goes for a flying armbar doesn't crank it fast enough and got his head smashed on concrete.

video of it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevanc...a7_raw-footage-from-fight-on-ultimate_extreme

The Inside Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have: wrestled in high school-greco, freestyle and scholastic, taken Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Bando(Lethwei, burmese bareknuckle kickboxing), Tae Kwon Do (only thing I got out of that was muscle memory for a roundhouse kick), tactical knife fighting, knife boxing, Tai Chi, Capoiera, a little catch wrestling as well.

I think JKD is very interesting because it is the first time "MMA" was invented, Bruce Lee had a vision of martial arts the rest of the world did not realize until later.

danielzxc

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think JKD is very interesting because it is the first time "MMA" was invented, Bruce Lee had a vision of martial arts the rest of the world did not realize until later.
I think the reason for this is because "martial arts" was invented by Asians, who tend to have a great reverance for tradition. So the same thing just kept (and keeps) getting taught in the same way generation after generation.

If martial arts had been invented by Americans, we would have seen the kind of innovations foreseen by Bruce Lee made a long time ago.

For example, I used to do Kyokushin. Even though I was young, I used to wonder about the amount of time we'd waste on "the basics". And I'm not talking about basic punches and kicks, which truly are basics. I mean stuff like elaborate "blocks" that are just so obviously useless when it comes to actual fighting. (In sparring, nobody ever used anything remotely like those blocks.) The "reasoning" (ie excuse) was those moves teach you "develop power". Okay, but why didn't anyone ever ask if there might not be a better way to learn to "develop power"? Because long hours spent drilling with otherwise useless "techniques" might be better spent learning to "develop power" with more efficient and/or effective methods.

They still get away with this crap today because a lot of people join up "traditional schools" just because they like the idea of doing something traditional and "steeped in history". So in this sense, they are just filling a market need. But it's not the best way to train effective fighters.

Antarctica

Don Juan
Reaction score
danielzxc said:
I think the reason for this is because "martial arts" was invented by Asians, who tend to have a great reverance for tradition. So the same thing just kept (and keeps) getting taught in the same way generation after generation.

If martial arts had been invented by Americans, we would have seen the kind of innovations foreseen by Bruce Lee made a long time ago.

For example, I used to do Kyokushin. Even though I was young, I used to wonder about the amount of time we'd waste on "the basics". And I'm not talking about basic punches and kicks, which truly are basics. I mean stuff like elaborate "blocks" that are just so obviously useless when it comes to actual fighting. (In sparring, nobody ever used anything remotely like those blocks.) The "reasoning" (ie excuse) was those moves teach you "develop power". Okay, but why didn't anyone ever ask if there might not be a better way to learn to "develop power"? Because long hours spent drilling with otherwise useless "techniques" might be better spent learning to "develop power" with more efficient and/or effective methods.

They still get away with this crap today because a lot of people join up "traditional schools" just because they like the idea of doing something traditional and "steeped in history". So in this sense, they are just filling a market need. But it's not the best way to train effective fighters.
A Martial Art is training in any martial skill. This includes everything from firing a rifle to driving a tank, or Riding a horse. It is not restricted to any certain society or culture.

As far the the rest of it goes, If I were to take any 'martial art' based on functionability, it would probably be Krav Maga. From a spiritual aspect I would do Tai Chi. But Krav Maga is just...f*ckin tight...

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I train MMA, but not super intense--couple times a week.

I think it's great. We have classes in boxing, kickboxing, submission wrestling, gi wrestling, and wrestling.

It's fun, keeps your instincts in check, and in my opinoin is great if your looking to start with something for general self-defense.

Of course fighting is a dirty game and is never predictable and for that reason should really be avoided, but it feels good knowing that I could walk down the street and be able to literally destroy most guys I see.