Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Who else thinks Donnie Darko...

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
is a piece of ****? i dont even mean to offend anybody who loves this movie cus it seems like people either love or hate this movie. i REALLY dont get why people would enjoy this crap tho

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its got a great soundtrack, interesting love story, is about time travel, good use of Drew Barrymore and Noah Wyle, and Jake Gyllanhal's breakout starring role.

Whats not to love?

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
its pointless...theres no moral...no action, no comedy, its not scary...and the main character sucks

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
agreed.

Enjoyed the Butterfly effect a lot more though it's gotten bad reviews from the critics.

The Kidd

Don Juan
Reaction score
i totally agree, i saw it to see wat the hype was.. but scenes just go by passively and ur just like "ok..." eventually i got so bored i turned it off

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, it's one of my favorite movies, altoghether with A Orange Clockwork, Natural Born Killers, Four Rooms and Alpha Dog... Sed de gustibus non disputandum est

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I sort of remember the soundtrack being good. It had a lot of 80s tunes right?

But the plot lost me and I LOVE movies with a thick plot. So let me see if I understood it (or even remember it right).

Donnie dies because a plane crashes on his house or something? And somehow he "mentally projects" 30 days earlier and lives it all over again. In essence he relives the last 30 days of his life and does it right by "getting the girl".

The whole time he is reliving the thirty days he is told that "the world will end in 30 days" but what is really meant is that he will die in 30 days.

Like I said, I may not remember it right. But I seem to remember interpreting the plot that way when I saw it back in the day.

What do you guys think?

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
I always thought it was a poor man's David Lynch movie.
I agree. People always told me I'd love the film, but when I finally did I was rather disappointed, and I knew nothing about the film other than it'd somehow involve a bunny. With Donnie's tourette syndrome outbreaks, I felt the film was contrived and I just couldn't find myself rooting for Donnie, which is critical for anti-hero stories. I felt its ending was too predictable and lacked the distinction of a true mind fvck. In the end, it was just a high-end teen flick.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For those who didn't like the movie, what type of movies do you generally watch?

I will admit, the first time I seen it I was pretty bored and I protested when my roommate wanted to watch it because I thought it was to slow.

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually saw it last week finally after my friend has been raving about it all the time. I don't really understand what happens. Can someone clarify it a little? So a plane crashes on his room while he's sleep walking. Then he's gonna die in 30 days. And the rabbit represents God right? And then he does what he wants before he finally dies in the end.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monster said:
I actually saw it last week finally after my friend has been raving about it all the time. I don't really understand what happens. Can someone clarify it a little? So a plane crashes on his room while he's sleep walking. Then he's gonna die in 30 days. And the rabbit represents God right? And then he does what he wants before he finally dies in the end.
Possible Spoiler Alert
The world will end if the two universes get caught up into each other.. hence the black sky @ the end. Donnie gets to see how the world will end before he decides to kill himself. The whole movie has him 'kiiiiiiinda' knowing what is going on in the least. Hence when he is in the movie theater he says 'why are u wearing that stupid bunny costume' or when he sees the bunny in the mirror he starts poking @ the eye he shoots. Read up on it @ wikipedia or the imdb message board.

I found the movie to be very entertaining. Just a completely different feel from other movies, and the music usage is amazing. The whole tears for fears song in the beginning is like nothing i've seen in a movie before.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wikipedia has a giant write up about it that explains in great detail what the movie was all about.

Das

Don Juan
Reaction score
I ddin't really get it. The soundtrack was cool though

DarthJuan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was really suprised how much I enjoyed that movie.
I appreciate them taking a real leap, and effort at making an interesting movie.

It's not a movie that works well the second time around though, well for me anyway...because you know the twists and turns.