Where do you live for?

J. Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell me, because I don't know. I almost finnished my degree in mediastudies and now I'm facing a life of working 8 hours in an office every day.

I will work, I will eat, I will train, I will talk to some guys and some girls, I will watch a movie, I will take a vacation now and then and I will repeat that cycle for 40 years. I don't want this. I can't wake up for this every day. That's not a life. That's death.

I want to climb mountains, solve hostage situations, command an army, make movies, cross the Pacific Ocean swimming, negotiate with the Taliban, fight for money, save a princess...something exciting, something dangerous, something that makes me feel alive. But how?

blueline

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky if you even get a job in an office with this economy. I don't know what I live for, it's a lot of things. In the most general sense, I live for the rush you get when you're exploring new things.

loveshogun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Word.

J. Darko said:
I want to climb mountains, solve hostage situations, command an army, make movies, cross the Pacific Ocean swimming, negotiate with the Taliban, fight for money, save a princess...something exciting, something dangerous, something that makes me feel alive. But how?
Don't ask us how. Show us.

THAT'S how.

You already know what you want to do. Go do it. And if you find obstacles, overcome them.

At least you already know what you want to do.

SandHawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
J. Darko said:
Funny, that is exactly how I feel. I am a rather large non-conformist that refuses to adapt to what society expects me to do. To solve my problem of actually having to work full time, I ended up postponing finishing my degree, which will end this year because I finally worked out why I kept postponing it.

However, I also have my own business. I rake in a certain amount of revenue doing freelance work, and once I acquired enough money to do what I want to do, I just finish my jobs, and disappear for a bit. I started mountain climbing this year, bought all my gear and currently training. Having my first outdoor climbing weekend the 23rd/24th of this month. Once I'm skilled enough to climb with a partner, I'll go climbing for a week in the alps every now and then.

Life is as exciting as YOU make it. If you don't want to work 40 hours a week, demand a 32 hour work week, work 40 hours instead and save up free days. Once every 5 weeks you take a week off and go do something exciting.

If you want excitement, you create it. A weekend has 2 days, even if you work 40 hours a week. Plenty of stuff you can do in those 2 days that will give enough excitement to compensate for the coming 5 days. And the evenings have plenty of time to do some of that.

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel the same way.This is how i see it:
Money is a necessity, you can not escape that. The way you make me money is irrelevant, whether you are stuck in a cubicle all day or doing construction, if money is not the main motivator in your life then it doesn't matter how you get the money, what matters is how you use that money.
Obviously if money is not your motivator then is likely that you do not care about material things, what you care about is experiences. Which is what really matters, possesions can be taken away, experiences can not.
So do what i do, earn your money however you can. If you have to be stuck in a cubicle thats fine. Life wont always give you everything you want. But save and use that money for those experinces that really mean something to you such as traveling, socializing, etc. Dont waste them away in attaining property that supossely bring you more status.
Myself, the only things I buy are things that i really need and that make me feel good. The rest I save for traveling around the world and for going out every weekend to sarge.

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have tons of options bro

With a degree of any sort, you can teach abroad. Check out teaching english in Korea, Japan (harder to get in), or Thailand (pay is not good but what a place.. it's got it all beaches, forest, cities). If you really want to go the army route, lol, I am sure they'd gladly take you but I don't recommend it. You could join the peace corps, they will suspend any students loans and send you to someplace exotic, but you'll live as the locals do. I'd recommend you do some traveling in South America if you have the resources. The Coast Guard might have some interesting positions. Certainly, any job along the border could be interesting at this moment.

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How old are you? I know white people like to travel before they turn very old.

J. Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Spot on guys.

Indeed, I should be happy for even getting a job and I'm very thankful for the opportunity of getting a degree. But you know, you only live once so I have very high ambitions.

I know what I want to do, but it's not very conform society. My last hope will be indeed to just work 32 hours and make the most of the rest of my time. But still, that would be my plan B.

Rocky, your spot on when you say I'm all about experience. Sure, I want to be rich like every other human being on this planet, but in the end, I would trade all that money for fun and love.

Teaching English sounds like a very, very good idea. That might just be a ticket to the good life. Don't know what's wrong with the army, though it seems like most of the jobs are quite repetitive. Training, training and more training with only a few months of action, that might kill you. So maybe not the best options,but still can't let it go.

I'm 22 btw and yes I'm white and like to travel until the day I die or at least before I'm an old man. :p

Scars

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take advantage of weekends, or take vacations. Try not to get too comfortable into routine. Toss it up a bit every now and then so life is not so boring. Learn to love your job, but also appreciate the time you are away and make the most of it. You can still start little projects, just take them day by day. Think big. If you want to make movies then do it. It's a hobby for many people, most of them also supporting themselves off a full time job. Sail the ocean with vacation time. Or get into a business where you can "work from home" aka, meaning you can work from anywhere. Think of something fun to do and just act on it. I think you're just going through an early mid-life crises type stage at a very young age. You probably feel overwhelmed with everything right now. Go do something new and change it up. It will make you feel better.

-Scars

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PapiChulo said:
How old are you? I know white people like to travel before they turn very old.
Does anyone not like to travel? These racial generalizations are ****ing retarded :down:

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel the exact same way. Slaved through college for 4 years for a degree in a field that collapsed with the economy. Looked for a job but couldn't find one; went back to school for an Econ major, partly for the expanded opportunities and partly because I had to be a student to retain my job. I ended up looking for a job for a year before I finally found one.

This job pays $17 an hour, gives me great benefits and the company is growing like crazy. The pay is less than I expected to make out of college in general, but more than I was expecting to get in this economy. I was excited for this job. I was giddy through training. Finally, after a year of searching and feeling hopeless/useless I found my calling.

Problem is, the job is talking to morons on the phone about their finances. And I mean morons. People that yell at me if they mailed a form to us and we haven't received it yet. Like it's my fault. I didn't go to college for 5 years and get two degrees to slave at a job where I get yelled at 40 hours a week and repeat the same fvcking phone scripts every call.

I dreamt of graduating college and getting a "real" job as making $50,000, getting an interesting job that stimulates me intellectually and gives me enough benefits/travel time for me to enjoy myself. In an ideal economy that probably would have happened. But it didn't.

And now I feel like my life is basically ending. College is over so I have nothing to work towards, I think I'm going bald (see my thread), I've alienated a lot of my friends with my depression lately (and I've been getting less social in general), I have only a handful of friends now, and all we do is drink on the weekends or do some stupid sh!t like go to a movie. At work all time off requests must be approved by our scheduling department, and I only get xyz days off a year so I want to make the most of it, but at this point I don't even have enough money for a vacation because I have to save up a safety net. It just feels like my best years are behind me and I'm supposed to just do this for the rest of my life, and I can't bear that thought. I really can't. And I'm only 23.

Fvck.

I've been trying to figure a way out of this mess recently, because I just can't take it. I made a list of characteristics of my dream job:

I WANT
to travel, but not too much
to make a lot of money
to be able to work from home, or wherever I choose
to be able to move if I want to
job security
To help people
To change the world
To be famous

I DON'T WANT
Set hours
To have a supervisor

The best job that would work for me would obviously be some kind of self-employment. Given my economics background, and the fact that I'm going to be getting licensed soon, I figured the best way for me to go would be some kind of financial planning business. This would fit the majority of the requirements listed above. I'm going to start writing up a business plan in a few months.

In the mean time, I'm really interested in starting up some kind of low-capital-investment business that I can do on the side while I hold out at this full time job. I've been thinking of some kind of internet business - drop shipping or a blog or something - but can't really seem to flesh out any more detail than that. Any tips on this would be appreciated, BTW. I've also started working out hardcore to get basically my perfect body.

Anyways, sorry to sort of hijack the thread. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going through much of the same sh!t that you are, and needed to get some of it off my chest. Also, maybe this will help you, I don't know.

I recommend writing down requirements for your dream job: what you want and don't want in a dream job. Then write down your qualifications and your interests. Ponder over it for a bit and then figure out what fits within your interests that you're qualified for that fits those requirements.

Having this way out sort of gives me hope, although I'd like to start doing more now, so I still have that "life is over" feeling. Meh. I guess I need advice just as much as you. :-/

Kerpal said:
Does anyone not like to travel? These racial generalizations are ****ing retarded
Being mostly a "white" person, I thought it was funny.

Last edited:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
It just feels like my best years are behind me and I'm supposed to just do this for the rest of my life, and I can't bear that thought. I really can't. And I'm only 23.
This is how I feel too. I'm close to graduating, feel like I missed out on most of the college fun, and what is there to look forward to? It's depressing as ****.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's sort of like a "mid mid life crisis" isn't it? Haha.

I think it's just because when you're in college you have this giant goal of graduating to work towards for years, and you're told you'll get an amazing job after that. And so you graduate and there all your goals go, and then you find out that you couldn't get the job you were promised so there that goes, too. It's a shock to the system, but I'm hoping that it's just a temporary thing. I couldn't bear having the rest of my life be like this. I'd rather run away and be homeless. At least I'd get to travel then. :)

DonJuan11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
I think it's just because when you're in college you have this giant goal of graduating to work towards for years, and you're told you'll get an amazing job after that. And so you graduate and there all your goals go, and then you find out that you couldn't get the job you were promised so there that goes, too. It's a shock to the system, but I'm hoping that it's just a temporary thing.
Who told you you would have this "amazing job" when you graduate college? This is the mindset of many college grads and people in their early twenties. They see these rich Hollywood actors and actresses get rich overnight and they want and expect the same thing. That's not life and it happens to the very very few. Not everyone can become the facebook or google creater and make millions and millions in a very short span of time.

Alot of people with strong work ethic work for 15-20 years without a vacation before they can take trips around the work, buy nice cars, live in luxury homes. I see people 1 year out of college wanting their mortgages paid off with a nice car and owning 10 condos. That's not life, that is the way it is in the movies and on TV. You have to work, work, work. Love what you do, but work. It's the only way.

Even if you didn't work and had all that stuff, what happiness would it bring you? No experience, no work ethic, no support? Girls don't like that. Girls like AMBITION, DRIVE, EXECUTION. Anything less is cheating yourself and others.

J. Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
DonJuan11 said:
Who told you you would have this "amazing job" when you graduate college? This is the mindset of many college grads and people in their early twenties. They see these rich Hollywood actors and actresses get rich overnight and they want and expect the same thing. That's not life and it happens to the very very few. Not everyone can become the facebook or google creater and make millions and millions in a very short span of time.

Alot of people with strong work ethic work for 15-20 years without a vacation before they can take trips around the work, buy nice cars, live in luxury homes. I see people 1 year out of college wanting their mortgages paid off with a nice car and owning 10 condos. That's not life, that is the way it is in the movies and on TV. You have to work, work, work. Love what you do, but work. It's the only way.

Even if you didn't work and had all that stuff, what happiness would it bring you? No experience, no work ethic, no support? Girls don't like that. Girls like AMBITION, DRIVE, EXECUTION. Anything less is cheating yourself and others.
NO, NO NOOOOO!!!! You don't get it.

This is not about girls. I'm not good with girls and I care less and less everyday. What drives me is passion, being the best, rise above everything and everyone else. I'm already the strongest in my gym. There are people there training for more than 10 years without even squatting their own bodyweight. Do you know how that feels? That could've been me, living oblivious, never reaching big weights because of a lack of information, drive, ambition. They say it can't be done, that lifting big weights and getting a body of a Greek statue is only for a chosen few, but it's not.

Now, as with lifting weights, I want to avoid that miserable path that everyone walks in their career. Working hard everyday in a job you hate, without ever getting anywhere, while complaining that a better life is only for a chosen few. Like with lifting weights, I want to have the right information and know the right people, to avoid that fate, to rise above everyone else and to show it can be done.

I'm too ashamed for getting a girl now. As a poor student, or a slave of the boss, what good will I be for her, when I don't get anywhere. What good will she be for me, if I hate what I do, if the only thing to live for is to get a kiss before you go to work and get a blowjb when you come home. That's not me, that's not my life. That will not be my fate. Girls are not going to help me solve this life crisis.

I want to work hard, but it must be a job that I love and a job that will get me somewhere, because you work most of your life. To live is to work and to work is to live. The hours that you're free and doing fun stuff should be the strawberry on the pie, not an escape from hell.

joe henny

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
I feel the exact same way. Slaved through college for 4 years for a degree in a field that collapsed with the economy. Looked for a job but couldn't find one; went back to school for an Econ major, partly for the expanded opportunities and partly because I had to be a student to retain my job. I ended up looking for a job for a year before I finally found one.

This job pays $17 an hour, gives me great benefits and the company is growing like crazy. The pay is less than I expected to make out of college in general, but more than I was expecting to get in this economy. I was excited for this job. I was giddy through training. Finally, after a year of searching and feeling hopeless/useless I found my calling.

Problem is, the job is talking to morons on the phone about their finances. And I mean morons. People that yell at me if they mailed a form to us and we haven't received it yet. Like it's my fault. I didn't go to college for 5 years and get two degrees to slave at a job where I get yelled at 40 hours a week and repeat the same fvcking phone scripts every call.

I dreamt of graduating college and getting a "real" job as making $50,000, getting an interesting job that stimulates me intellectually and gives me enough benefits/travel time for me to enjoy myself. In an ideal economy that probably would have happened. But it didn't.

And now I feel like my life is basically ending. College is over so I have nothing to work towards, I think I'm going bald (see my thread), I've alienated a lot of my friends with my depression lately (and I've been getting less social in general), I have only a handful of friends now, and all we do is drink on the weekends or do some stupid sh!t like go to a movie. At work all time off requests must be approved by our scheduling department, and I only get xyz days off a year so I want to make the most of it, but at this point I don't even have enough money for a vacation because I have to save up a safety net. It just feels like my best years are behind me and I'm supposed to just do this for the rest of my life, and I can't bear that thought. I really can't. And I'm only 23.

Fvck.

I've been trying to figure a way out of this mess recently, because I just can't take it. I made a list of characteristics of my dream job:

I WANT
to travel, but not too much
to make a lot of money
to be able to work from home, or wherever I choose
to be able to move if I want to
job security
To help people
To change the world
To be famous

I DON'T WANT
Set hours
To have a supervisor

The best job that would work for me would obviously be some kind of self-employment. Given my economics background, and the fact that I'm going to be getting licensed soon, I figured the best way for me to go would be some kind of financial planning business. This would fit the majority of the requirements listed above. I'm going to start writing up a business plan in a few months.

In the mean time, I'm really interested in starting up some kind of low-capital-investment business that I can do on the side while I hold out at this full time job. I've been thinking of some kind of internet business - drop shipping or a blog or something - but can't really seem to flesh out any more detail than that. Any tips on this would be appreciated, BTW. I've also started working out hardcore to get basically my perfect body.

Anyways, sorry to sort of hijack the thread. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going through much of the same sh!t that you are, and needed to get some of it off my chest. Also, maybe this will help you, I don't know.

I recommend writing down requirements for your dream job: what you want and don't want in a dream job. Then write down your qualifications and your interests. Ponder over it for a bit and then figure out what fits within your interests that you're qualified for that fits those requirements.

Having this way out sort of gives me hope, although I'd like to start doing more now, so I still have that "life is over" feeling. Meh. I guess I need advice just as much as you. :-/

Being mostly a "white" person, I thought it was funny.
Dog you need to find another job immediately, I make 16 an hour at the company im with have no degree and have been there less than a year. Don't shortchange yourself bro. "If you know what your worth go out there and get it"