Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What's going on?

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I need some advice, guys. I've been working out at the gym since Jan 1, 2007. I did the machines for several months then I started on the free weights. I've increased that to bike riding for 1 hour every other morning before going to the gym. People have told me that I'm looking slimmer, more muscular but I don't see the physical difference in my upper torse. I know I'm stronger because I'm lifting more and more. But I still have the sub cu fat.

A friend of mine (a guy) saw me last March and said that I looked thinner. Then in April a close friend (woman) whom I hadn't seen in many many months kept singing about how my build was. Then last week I happened to see the guy again in the hall (we hadn't talked since March) and he said that I was looking leaner and more muscular. Then a couple of days ago another lady friend whom I hadn't seen for about 3-4 weeks looked at me and asked if I was losing weight. The thing is this woman and I have known each other for a while and she already knows I go to the gym and bike ride. So in all three cases the people paying the compliments had intervals of several weeks to months without seeing me to then talk about my physique change when they do see me again.

But I did my weigh in this morning after finishing my bike ride. The last weigh in was in March (and I posted it on the forums) and it was 165 pounds. Today the weigh in is 162 pounds. My BF% is 26.5. I did a BMI calc and it's about 24.6. I know I'm stronger and stronger because I'm increasing the weights at the gym. I have a heck of a lot of energy and stamina. Last week a group of us went hiking and there were steep steep stairs out there and I was way ahead of everyone else. I wasn't even winded but they all were. And this was an assortment of women and men some of whom would be considered average weight and doing some light exercises. I'm at the gym for an hour 3 days per week. And I bike ride for an hour three days a week.

What the heck is going on??? My weight seems to be holding at 162-165 pounds. What the heck is going on here????

My target is 154 pounds of lean muscle. I want to be lean muscular. I'm about 11 pounds off from that, been holding steady at this weight for months. :(

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're probably putting on muscle and losing fat at the same time. That's why your weight isn't changing much. You've noticed large increases in strength, conditioning, and people are commenting on how you look leaner, so it definitely sounds like you're making progress. Just keep at it.

D_Master

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well my friend was at around 215 the 1st time we went to the gym together. After a couple months of just doing cardio he got down to around 205, then he started running and lifting more and went back up to around 218 and was all freakin out cause he was heavier then when he started. He looked a lot better though as far as being in shape.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm reading the comments, thanks. Maybe it's me but I don't know. When I look in the mirror I do see some changes, when I draw in my stomach I see my ab muscles. I wasn't really able to see them as clearly until I started working out. I've been doing 105 ab crunches on max incline when I go to the gym. And my arms have better definition. But I don't like the sub cu fat. I drink a lot of water now and that's helpful. I'm following much of the advice here in the fitness forum which is good for me. Maybe I'm my own worst critic. I'm working out for health and yeah, I admit it, for the ladies, too.

I'm also trying to figure out what clothes best fit me to show that I'm making progress. I have pics from before and after some are like "Did I really look like that?" but I had been gradually losing weight just by cutting back since last summer. And some of the autumn pics don't look so different from some recent photos I took of myself. So that and how I look in the mirror is how I judge myself for looking leaner.

I'm keeping it up, though. This is a way of life for me now and the person I'm competing with is myself. :)

BTW, does anyone know how to calculate the bf % for targeted weight loss ?

Last edited:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is from Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength":

A program of this nature tends to produce the correct bodyweight in an athlete...if he needs to lose bodyfat, that happens too...they will notice...looser pants at the waist, legs and hips staying about the same, shirts that are much tighter in the chest, arms and neck, and faster strength increases than their skinny buddies. Their body composition changes while their bodyweight stays close to the same, the result of a loss in bodyfat due to their increasing muscle mass.
As to the bodyfat percent, I wouldn't worry too much about that type of stuff. I've found that if you start worrying too much about weight, bodyfat percent, calorie counting, etc., it will just drive you crazy. Common sense and a mirror is all you need in my opinion.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What does your diet look like?

And what are your goals, weightwise, mirrorwise, and bf%?

Sounds like you have the cardio dialed in, and the 3x/week workout you have goin seems to be chugging along.

Post up everything you ate yesterday and today.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
What does your diet look like?

And what are your goals, weightwise, mirrorwise, and bf%?

Sounds like you have the cardio dialed in, and the 3x/week workout you have goin seems to be chugging along.

Post up everything you ate yesterday and today.
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. As for the quote kerpal posted I've noticed the difference in my jeans. I've always been a waist size 34. But now they're harder to stay up now even when I have my belt on the tightest notch.

My goal is to get down to 154 pounds of lean muscle. I'm 5'8" and 162 pounds at last weigh in (which is when I posted on the forum). What I want is the lean muscular look, I'm not stopping short of that. Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I feel better. Like after I do a workout and it feels good. But then at other times it's like I still see the fat. How long does it take to lose the fat?

I get up in the morning at 7 AM and drink two 20 ounce cups of water. Been forgetting it though lately. It might be a 10 AM or so before I remember these days. Then I drink the same amount of water through out the day.

Yesterday around midday I had a bowl of raisin bran with whole milk. (I can't stand skim milk, sorry.) I used the artificial sweetner Equal. Then I had a small sloppy joe sandwich with about 15 small Dorito chips. I wasn't able to ride my bike yesterday but I did get to the gym in the afternoon and worked out for an hour. Later I had another bowl of raisin bran. Then had a late supper of 2 corn dogs (no condiments) and some pork and beans.

This morning I went bike riding for an hour. When I got home had my two cups of water and just finished a bowl of Cheerios with a banana.

I need more meat in my diet. I rarely eat bread these days and when I do I try to eat wheat bread whenever possible. I try to eat a meal at the beginning of the day, then eat some sliced lean ham (no bread just the ham slices) then a meal at night. I need to restock at the store soon.

I know I can do better. I'm on a tight budget though so I can't go for protein shakes or the like. It's gotta be every day food and a fixed plan for eating it.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your diet absolutely sucks. Cheerios, whole milk and corndogs and you want to lose weight?

Do some reading on fat loss in this forum, you will get diet ideas there. As for everyday cheap foods: eggs, tuna, store brand whey, meat/chicken in bulk etc are not expensive.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Your diet absolutely sucks. Cheerios, whole milk and corndogs and you want to lose weight?

Do some reading on fat loss in this forum, you will get diet ideas there. As for everyday cheap foods: eggs, tuna, store brand whey, meat/chicken in bulk etc are not expensive.

2 corndogs is not much and I rarely eat them anyway. Cheerios is heart healthy. I know I need to modify my diet more, that's why I'm asking for advice. And I just downloaded "where to start", for the nutrition advice. That will definitely help.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
2 corndogs is not much and I rarely eat them anyway. Cheerios is heart healthy. I know I need to modify my diet more, that's why I'm asking for advice. And I just downloaded "where to start", for the nutrition advice. That will definitely help.
no, cheerios are advertised to be heart healthy. they're still a cereal, and a ****ty carb source.

I wrote a thread about fat loss once, search for it, it should help you.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's so amazing the things people think are healthy

nosmirk

Don Juan
Reaction score
eat more.

haha use www.fitday.com
and you will realise how much fewer calories you are eating than you think..

Last edited:

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Common sense and a mirror is all you need in my opinion.

I can't see mirror changes. I'm 20lbs lighter and to me I look the same. The only way I know i'm losing fat is caliper measurements.