What to eat before bed?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know it's a bad idea to eat carbs right before bed, I've heard it's good to eat cottage cheese and I've been doing that for a while but it's getting kind of boring, especially since I can't put any fruit in it because of the carbs. Is there anything else that's good to eat before bed?

CrunchyNut

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lettuce helps you sleep, but why eat before bed? Just go to sleep and you wont be hungry!

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I drink at least 2 cups of fat free milk before bed. It's not a good idea to sleep on alot of food,no matter what it is,it can give you nightmares(no joke).

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
I drink at least 2 cups of fat free milk before bed.
That's 22 grams of carbs right before bed. Is that a good idea? Although I'm sure cottage cheese has carbs in it too... :confused:

It's not a good idea to sleep on alot of food,no matter what it is,it can give you nightmares(no joke).
I'm pretty sure that's an old wives' tale.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
That's 22 grams of carbs right before bed. Is that a good idea?
You will be fine,22 grams isn't going to do anything. Even though your sleeping you body doesn't shut down 100%,it's just on stand by so it still uses some energy.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually you should stop eating carbs about 4 hours before you go to bed. The best part about it is that you will actually want to go to bed at the time you want to - its 10:35 and I am dozing off, which is great since I have to wake up early.

You want to eat Protein and some fat before bed. So a combo can be A shake + some nuts. Can of tuna + Flax oil (or a spoon of vegetable oil)

Do not eat carbs before bed. Do not drink milk.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it depends on your goals, it depends on your goals, it depends on your goals.

carb cutoffs are for guys looking to lose bodyfat and/or maintain a very low bodyfat.

for the lactose tolerant, milk is a beautiful thing to consume before bed, from several standpoints.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oxide said:
Do not eat carbs before bed. Do not drink milk.
That's bull,every since I have lifting I have done this without a bad effect.

Rata Blanca

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As someone stated earlier depends on your goals, however according to John Berardi he recommends that your last meal is composed mainly of
Protein and Fat and low in Carbs.
Some sources of protein and fat:

Protein
fish - chicken - cottage cheese
Eggs - Meat

Fat
Avocados, Oils, Dry fruits

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
That's bull,every since I have lifting I have done this without a bad effect.
From your pictures, you don't look like you're carb sensitive. What works for you will not necessarily work for anyone else.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
From your pictures, you don't look like you're carb sensitive. What works for you will not necessarily work for anyone else.
Oh no trust me I thought that I wasn't carb sensitive as well but I used to eat loaves of bread before sleeping,it caught up to me. 2 cups of fat free milk is only 20 grams of sugar=almost nothing.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I second on the low fat cottage cheese with a scoop of peanut butter in it and maybe a little jelly too or some strawberrys! They are an antioxidant and mmm delicious. But real men eat a full t-bone steak right before bed followed by some pvssy!

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
But real men eat a full t-bone steak right before bed followed by some pvssy!
:crackup:

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
I second on the low fat cottage cheese with a scoop of peanut butter in it and maybe a little jelly too or some strawberrys! They are an antioxidant and mmm delicious. But real men eat a full t-bone steak right before bed followed by some pvssy!
That sounds absolutely disgusting!! Peanut butter and cottage cheese?

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
-Cottage cheese (I know) with flaxseed oil
-Tuna with olives
-Whey in milk with peanut butter

Basically any source of protein combined with good fats.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Or you could try eating cottage cheese, and then some peanut butter.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[S]alvatore said:
-Cottage cheese (I know) with flaxseed oil
-Tuna with olives
-Whey in milk with peanut butter

Basically any source of protein combined with good fats.
The whey+milk+pb sounds good, but what about the carbs in the milk? Is it a negligible amount?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the carbs in milk are not negligible, but you should compare them to your other options. the carb to protein ratio in milk is roughly 1:1. that's an inappropriate bedtime drink for someone on a strict carb cutoff, but otherwise...

personally, i can't do whey without some kind of sweetner, but I mostly use it postworkout, in which case you should be mixing it with some sort of sugar anyway.