Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What or who motivates you?

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No brainer really. Why do you train, and is there a person that makes you think "Wow, i'm off to the gym"?

What
For the asthetic benifits mainly, looking good feeling good.

Who
Jonny Wilkinson, this dude trains round the clock, even on Christmas day, consequently, he is the best fly-half in the world.
Secondly, Brock lesnar, looks great, trains like a machine.
Thirdly, all the unhealthy people. Make me think. Never. if i ever get like that i will never leave the gym.

Brock Lesnar:

At 6-foot-4 and 286 pounds, Lesnar ran a 4.75 second 40-yard dash, less than two months after injuring his groin in a motorcycle accident! Lesnar is listed as benching 475, which with his long arms is very impressive, and a near 700 pound squat with a 35-inch vertical leap.

Makes me want to go the gym right now.

Last edited:

7 Virtues

Don Juan
Reaction score
What:
To get stronger. Looks are secondary.

Who:
Myself
All the people who beat me on the mat

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lance Armstrong but hey, I'm a cyclist.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Franco Columbo

Phucking Phreek! You should NOT be able to deadlift about 5-5.5 times your own bodyweight and still live. It just ain't right!

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What:
To look good, feel healthy and for improved confidence.

Who:
Sylvester Stallone as Rocky - mainly in the first movie. He aimed high, set his mind to a goal, believed in himself and even though he lost the fight, he surpassed all expectations.

I would recommend anyone who is getting into bodybuilding to watch the original Rocky film.

Although I have no enemies, I am still very much motivated by those who hounded me at school when I was a fat nerd.

Of course, I would be lying if I said I wasn't motivated by women too! :)

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah thats a big one. People who said i couldn't.

"you don't need to go to the gym, play on the computer"...

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Franco Columbo has been mensioned. Years ago I got one of his books and eagerly read every word.

It said something like, if you're serious you should be training 5-6 days a week after your first year. So off I trotted.

Two months later, nearly bloody killed myself trying and lost weight.

A while after I met a (connected) chap and he said oh yeah well they are all on gear, Arnie, Franco, Lou they are all on it.

Well I was nieve and couldn't think of sucha thing, but now I'm a bit wiser.

I don't even want to think that Lance Armstong's on EPO, it's such an inspiring story. Carl Lewis totally clean throughout his career? Well I'd really like to think so.

Sometimes it's best not to know. ;)

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ALL pro bodybuilders are on juice, growth hormones, and most recently synthol, this is nothing new, they've always been on it, including the oldschoolers like arnie, columbo, olivia, draper, etc. Although I think this is wrong and should be punished by the officials, it's never gonna happen.

However you gotta understand that most pro bodybuilders take that crap for different reasons then your average teenager. Most of those pros bodybuild for YEARS, until they reach their natural peak and can't progress anymore. So in order to keep advancing and staying ahead of competition, they take that junk. Most teenagers etc that take juice are just lazy and want results fast. They don't realize that even tho pros take juice, they worked for over a decade to get to where they're at. If you are not dedicated to bodybuilding and you take juice just for quick results, all you will get out of it is some gyno and small nuts.

That being said, I usually inspire myself by competing against other guys in the gym. One of my buddies has really well developed real deltoid (which is rare), so I'm trying to pass him. I don't bother using pros as motivation because you can't look that way and still be natural.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know about motivation but maybe inspiration I get from reading biographies of people who have struggled and overcome adversity.

Especially people who may have had similar challenges to your own. Additionally you can use their mindset as a template for your own achievements. I think it's called 'modelling'.

I read a book once about this Dude. He had a terrible motorbike accident and got burned really badly.

Despite these huge 'disadvantages' he went on to marry and runs companies, and does the speaker circuit.

I think his main mantra was,' Its not what happens to you it's what you do about it.' Whenever I read bios on successful people who are driven, that mindset is a recurring theme.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know, 40 years ago people did full body workouts four times a week. They did them for hours. They never even thought about over training.

Some guy does a 5 day split, and he's overtraining... it amuses me for some reason.

20 years ago people used to be in the olympics in top shape. Almost all of the brit teams for everything had some sort of injury. I think we're slowly turning into a society of worriers and complainers ya know ;)

Columbo is a god. Yeah, he was on roids. Yeah, the Oak was TANKED on roids. But columbo never got huge, you see. He was still making amazingly lifts without getting massive. It doesnt stop me thinking he's a complete and utter freak for deadlifting 750+lbs at about 180-190lbs. I dont care what roids were around, thats a talent. Simple as that.

I know people that just do squats, bench and deadlifts 5 days a week for two months then take a break. Sometimes they work smaller muscles to help cope with the load. They eat like a horse and they're never overtrained.

I think overtraining is amazingly subjective.

Seen the pics of ronnie today? The guy is a bag of veins. I think they said he was a shade over 290lbs, probably gonna lose a tiny bit more for tomorrow. He;s got everyone beat - but how much roid-taking is going on now, to get to close on 300lbs? Coleman at 290 struggled to bi curl 245... Lee priest managed about 300lbs for 4 reps[priest was about 40lbs lighter, too].

I think that just because people are on roids doesnt mean they dont work their balls off. They put in the effort, and they wanted to get an edge. It's their body, it's their choice. I admire them for doing the hard work, and THEN wanting the edge. Why do you think you dont see 24 year olds winning big contests? The only way to get a good body is to start it all natural man.

Seen cutler though? In an interview he looked like he was gonna drop down dead he's so musclebound :eek: He needs to lose weight as soon as this O is over, if he does it again he probably would die... Coleman, if he goes for it again, will be bigger... the man is a machine. He's got a massive chip on his shoulder from a few years back, and rumour has it he still isnt impressed with his size :eek:

icecreaman

Don Juan
Reaction score
My "johnson" motivates me the most LOL!!!!!!!!:D

What man? Its true.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seen the pics of ronnie today? The guy is a bag of veins. I think they said he was a shade over 290lbs, probably gonna lose a tiny bit more for tomorrow. He;s got everyone beat - but how much roid-taking is going on now, to get to close on 300lbs? Coleman at 290 struggled to bi curl 245... Lee priest managed about 300lbs for 4 reps[priest was about 40lbs lighter, too].
Don't get me wrong, Lee Priest is THE MAN, and I have nothing but respect for him, but it's a lot easier for a guy with his arm reach to curl heavy weight then it is for a guy like Coleman.

Short guys will always be able to beat tall guys at strength comparisons if they train equally.

Other then that, a big part of it has to do with the fact Ronnie prefers cable curls over barbell/dumbell ones. Priest from what I've read is all about free weights.

As for Cutler, as big as he is, he will NEVER be Mr. O as long as Ronnie is still around. IMO, Ronnie will keep winning them one after another, none of the other bodybuilders are on his level at the moment. The only one who was ever better then him was pre-injury Dorian Yates, aka THE MAN.

edit - also come on man, Columbo was never small. He was short, but his body was pretty massive for his frame. If you look at Arnold's Encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding, you'll see some photographs of him and franco comparing lat poses, and Franco had him beat in size AND definition. Consdiering arnold was 6'2, that was hella impressive.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whoah, you do realize the guy looked huge but he didnt weigh that much?

To look at him you'd think he was 200lbs+ when he never really stayed over the 200lbs mark. I dont think he compared to arnold... maybe it's just media-bias, but I think arnold pretty much had the complete package for a long time. Course Wheeler... man, you cant knock him at all either - very under-rated imo.

And yes... It's like they were joined at the hip :D Arnold and his whipping boy, lol

"As for Cutler, as big as he is, he will NEVER be Mr. O as long as Ronnie is still around. IMO, Ronnie will keep winning them one after another, none of the other bodybuilders are on his level at the moment. The only one who was ever better then him was pre-injury Dorian Yates, aka THE MAN."

hmmm. Give him ronnies back, he'll have him beat. But the fact is, I dont think anyone will touch coleman in the back department. Yates may have had the lats, but for the total back, coleman is always king.

THEORY: Coleman must be at 1.5% body fat :eek: the barsteward is mega-ripped :eek:

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To go along with the size/strength/build argument, take a look at ronnie/cutler/priest/yates versus arnold and columbo. Arnold was 6'2, and about 230-240 at competition, while ronnie is around 5'11 and 290 or so. There's a difference here, it's called "skill, presence, charisma, and ability."

I think arnold would blow them outta the water in his youth ;)

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Judging was totally different in arnold's day tho. Back then, they looked for definition, symetry, etc, now judges mostly look for size.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I personally have a bunch of friends who think that the gym is beneath them, you know, they don't need it.

I work so i can be better than them.