What is your definition of "Honor"?

Roly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This topic really interest me- Honor.

What is Honor to you?

The word Honor can be a differ for every Man. Men will die just to keep their " honor', they will kill for it, hell they'll even kill themselves once they lose it, take the Samurais for example. Back in the 1700's, Men would have Gun duels just to retain their honor.( Think Alexander Hamilton.)

In some countries, from what I've noticed especially in South East Asian cultures, Face is more important. Face- meaning one's reputation and how other people see you. Very often people get those two mixed.

Personally, I think just like masculinity, Honor can be damn well arbitrary. Though I do think it has its universal traits.

Pook really got me thinking about what Honor means with that article he wrote in his blog. W

Honor - is it some personal values and traits a Man chooses to follow or is it a bunch of societal conventions designed for Men to conform to a certain set of ideals?

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Honor - is it some personal values and traits a Man chooses to follow or is it a bunch of societal conventions designed for Men to conform to a certain set of ideals?"

The second one though it pains me to say it.

Its just another system of control.

Part of the matrix.

Pook is absolutely brilliant and so is the book "The Manipulated Man" which he now draws inspiration from.

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think honor to me is different than the "face" definition.

If you look at the 1st definition of 'honor' at dictionary.com, it states this:

1. honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor.
I really like this definition, because it really doesn't define what your beliefs and values are or what they should be, but rather it asks can you stick to them? It's all about being honest with yourself, which is much easier said than done. Not to criticize anyone in particular on this site, but you'd be amazed how many people throw out their values and integrity for some pvssy.

JLR

Don Juan
Reaction score
Falcon said:
I think honor to me is different than the "face" definition.

If you look at the 1st definition of 'honor' at dictionary.com, it states this:

I really like this definition, because it really doesn't define what your beliefs and values are or what they should be, but rather it asks can you stick to them? It's all about being honest with yourself, which is much easier said than done. Not to criticize anyone in particular on this site, but you'd be amazed how many people throw out their values and integrity for some pvssy.
That's exactly what it means to me. I make few normative judgments when it comes to others' beliefs. The thing that draws my skepticism is someone who portrays themselves in one light, but in tough times, or when it's convenient, acts in ways inconsistent w/ that portrayal--basically a type of incongruence, I guess.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are certain points of honor which are mostly hollow, and those are the kind that Pook describes. Examples include chivalry, being nice to women and weak enemies, trying to maintain a good reputation (subjective), the laws of civilized warfare, etc. These points of honor can actually benefit you in some ways -- by making others like you more. But if you take them to the extreme, you can handicap yourself by them even more than you benefit from them.

There are also objective forms of honor which are based on morality, such as keeping your promises and not hurting innocent people. These points of honor can also benefit your reputation in some instances, but you don't pursue them for that reason. In many instances, these types of honor will not benefit you at all -- except perhaps in your standing before God. These are the more masculine virtues, as they do not depend on others' opinions.

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My example of honor = Bros before Hoes

Just like Falcon mentioned "you'd be amazed how many people throw out their values and integrity for some pvssy." Some people might have their own version of this and as someone mentioned before could be balanced or extreme.

Here are the points I found arguable in bros before hoes:

1) "Never date/fcuk a chick that your friend has dated/fcuked". I think thats a bit intense. Unless your friend is still seeing her, warned you that she has some sort of STD, or happened to be a transsexual I WOULDN'T TOUCH THAT. To me, if you're planning on dating a friend's ex at least let the guy know what you're going to do face to face. Don't be a little snake and go sneaking behind your own friends back. You never know they just might be cool with it and give you pointers on how to get with her.

2) "Balance your time between your GF/girl that you're dating and your friends." This one most people were surprised I questioned. The ones Im more focused on on this one are the guys that just got their first GF(mostly AFC's and rAFC's) meaning that thats their first LTR and possibly first pvssy. I say let these guys indulge into their LTR. Hell, ill give them 3 months max to disappear off the face of this earth with their GF. Of course as this is happening tell him your opinions like "dude, she's gonna get bored of you if you keep spending time with her.", "Hey, sometimes me and the other guys miss having you around." or some sh!t. The point of this is: LET THEM GET SICK OF EACHOTHER. LET YOUR HOMEBOY MISS HIS FREEDOM. The best way people learn is through their own mistakes.

so yea...just my take on that subject.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As they say

"Heres to honor, and if you can get on her stay on her and if you can't *** in her *** on her!"