What is there to "get over"?

Reykhel

Banned
Reaction score
Death is all around. They say that in the West so many people are walking around seeing and hearing news of deaths, but yet still believe "that won't happen to me".

Death is an inevitable part of living. Life and death, the full circle. Meditation is a way to prepare one for death. Living with the conscious awareness of one's own mortality cultivates the ability to live one's life better. To savor one's present moments, to put things into perspective, to see the bigger picture.

"Nothing is permanent except change". Impermanence is the only certainty.

The mind is like a monkey on LSD running through the house of our minds, checking each window to see if what we want is there and trying to hold on to it (DESIRE and ATTACHMENT) or seeing if what we don't want is there and running away from it (FEAR and AVERSION). Habit energies repeating the same patterns again and again believing that what brought suffering before somehow will not bring suffering again (DELUSION).

All relationships will end. There is no escaping this. They will end through rejection or through death. Every one night stand, every plate, every long term relationship will come to it's final resting place and burn until the final embers are no more.

Attaching oneself to that which is impermanent will surely bring waves of suffering.

Entering into a relationship be it short term, medium or longterm with the conscious awareness of "this too shall end" may seem very negative to some. However, what tends to happen is one appreciates and makes the most of the time spent with the person they are with rising above any petty quarrels and banalities that usually occur. One is all too aware of not attaching oneself to that which is not permanent, thus letting go of any neediness. Knowing this is not "forever", all we have is now. Savoring the moment, being aware, being awake, being detached. For trying to attach oneself to what is not permanent is like trying to hold onto smoke. Trying to hold onto a living creature is like "crushing the sparrow".

And when the moment comes, the inevitable moment, that you'v always being aware of.....the end of the relationship, be it the end of a short term fling or a long term "love" affair, you are ready. You knew this was going to come and you seized the moments, like you seize the joy of the sun rising and setting, like you savor and take your time with a fine wine, using all of your senses......to fully experience the moment. You are satisfied. You have no regrets because you were awake and aware of the inevitable end. You are aware of death and you are at peace with it. You can let go easy because you never tried to hold onto what cannot be held down.

It leads to the question:
What is there to "get over" after a breakup?

There are threads being posted asking "how do you get over....?" with questions such as "how long does it take to get over...?"

What is there to get over? is what we have to get over the level of attachment?
Is is the level of dependence?

What are the expectations that one places on other people that enter into one's life? Is what one admires in a partner holes in their own personality?

If one is not consciously aware of the the impermanence of every relationship, the tendency is to "switch off" and to take for granted that the person will be there forever. This tends to manifest itself such ways as in conversations where we are not fully present. Experiences and we are thinking of something else. Present in body, but mind on a mental excursion. Later when it's over, regret comes as it all feels like a dream.........because it many ways....it was just a dream.

Reaction score
I guess it would be better stated as getting through rather than getting over. The more blindly ive allowed myself to stumble into a situation and the deeper the depth ive allowed allow myself to go the more work it is to get back out or through to the other side when the walls came crashing down.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
The only time it's hard to "get over" them is when you allow yourself to need them, to become attached to the outcome, and/or to base your life around having them in it.

Many people have said "You'll be sorry someday when your 21 year old girl breaks your heart" and I don't really understand that logic. Naturally I'll be disappointed if and when the end comes, but I'll never say "That b!tch f*cked me over!" or that something was wrong with her. I'll say "Dear God, thank you for blessing me with this amazing experience. I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Please guide her now that I won't be there for her."

Reaction score
Yeah greed fear wanting, the my presious mentality
That's what gets you. But it only happens a few times if your lucky till you get woke. And sometimes you relapse if you allow it.

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All relationships are like a bell curve. They are transitory. When that person has fulfilled their purpose in the relationship, it's time to move on to the next teacher. Celebrate in that death for the moments of transference and for the experiences that were gained not lost. That is gratitude and shifts one's thinking of losing that person to death or another branch and into a blessing. There's a subtle art of learning detachment that frees the mind from desire.

Dingo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting because the pain is all in your head...

The key is to figure out how to flip that switch.....

Plums

Don Juan
Reaction score
Death is all around. They say that in the West so many people are walking around seeing and hearing news of deaths, but yet still believe "that won't happen to me".

Death is an inevitable part of living. Life and death, the full circle. Meditation is a way to prepare one for death. Living with the conscious awareness of one's own mortality cultivates the ability to live one's life better. To savor one's present moments, to put things into perspective, to see the bigger picture.

"Nothing is permanent except change". Impermanence is the only certainty.

The mind is like a monkey on LSD running through the house of our minds, checking each window to see if what we want is there and trying to hold on to it (DESIRE and ATTACHMENT) or seeing if what we don't want is there and running away from it (FEAR and AVERSION). Habit energies repeating the same patterns again and again believing that what brought suffering before somehow will not bring suffering again (DELUSION).

All relationships will end. There is no escaping this. They will end through rejection or through death. Every one night stand, every plate, every long term relationship will come to it's final resting place and burn until the final embers are no more.

Attaching oneself to that which is impermanent will surely bring waves of suffering.

Entering into a relationship be it short term, medium or longterm with the conscious awareness of "this too shall end" may seem very negative to some. However, what tends to happen is one appreciates and makes the most of the time spent with the person they are with rising above any petty quarrels and banalities that usually occur. One is all too aware of not attaching oneself to that which is not permanent, thus letting go of any neediness. Knowing this is not "forever", all we have is now. Savoring the moment, being aware, being awake, being detached. For trying to attach oneself to what is not permanent is like trying to hold onto smoke. Trying to hold onto a living creature is like "crushing the sparrow".

And when the moment comes, the inevitable moment, that you'v always being aware of.....the end of the relationship, be it the end of a short term fling or a long term "love" affair, you are ready. You knew this was going to come and you seized the moments, like you seize the joy of the sun rising and setting, like you savor and take your time with a fine wine, using all of your senses......to fully experience the moment. You are satisfied. You have no regrets because you were awake and aware of the inevitable end. You are aware of death and you are at peace with it. You can let go easy because you never tried to hold onto what cannot be held down.

It leads to the question:
What is there to "get over" after a breakup?

There are threads being posted asking "how do you get over....?" with questions such as "how long does it take to get over...?"

What is there to get over? is what we have to get over the level of attachment?
Is is the level of dependence?

What are the expectations that one places on other people that enter into one's life? Is what one admires in a partner holes in their own personality?

If one is not consciously aware of the the impermanence of every relationship, the tendency is to "switch off" and to take for granted that the person will be there forever. This tends to manifest itself such ways as in conversations where we are not fully present. Experiences and we are thinking of something else. Present in body, but mind on a mental excursion. Later when it's over, regret comes as it all feels like a dream.........because it many ways....it was just a dream.
Death is only ever experienced by those who remain alive. I believe in eternal life, the body is a shell that gets old and breaks away the soul continues in another dimension. But even if you are a person who does not believe in this and you believe that this is one single journey that comes to an end. When that end comes you won't be aware of it. So you will only ever be aware of life. You can't be aware of death if you cease to exist.
Relationships are about one thing only. Self discovery. You learn about yourself through other people if you have the courage to.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@bigneil touched on something profound.

And this thread is a reminder that life is dynamic, ever changing. All of us are dying from the moment we are born. All of our relationships do indeed end.

And if fully engaged in the experience then there is a feeling more of missing someone; missing their company and their presence, but you always have the memories you created with that person. The memories you carry are always with you.

If we refuse to engage in relationships we cheat ourselves of a richness and enjoyment of life. We are all aging, we will all die one day. So because life is finite it should be lived fully and boldly. Time as has been famously said somewhere is the great equalizer. But in youth, when our life carries the illusion of endlessness it is deceptively easy to become mired in procrastination, always thinking there is more time; that we have the luxury of indecision and choice.

In April I lost my father as some know. He was an amazing man, a tough disciplinarian, a no beat around the bush man among men. His death was part of life; I know I can never chat with him again, joke, seek his counsel. And so I miss him some times. But everything he taught me manifests in me and his fingerprints are indelible on my being. I am so grateful for him, so pleased he is my Dad.

In January a long distance arrangement I had for almost 2 years faded. I wasn't sad at all. I knew, as Neil knows, that relationship was likely transitory. But I got to know and experience an amazing gentleman in that time. It was wonderful and he is an incredible man. What a privilege to know him & be on a piece of his journey. I don't have anything negative to take away from the experience. Like Neil I feel deep gratitude.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, BeExcellent. Anyone who knows women knows you loved your dad, but I'm sad to hear he passed so recently.

But the credit for my observation goes to George and Ira Gershwin, who penned this song 80 years ago in 1937.

Our romance won't end on a sorrowful note
Though by tomorrow you're gone;
The song is ended, but as the songwriter wrote

The melody lingers on
They may take you from me, I'll miss your fond caress
But though they take you from me, I'll still possess

The way you wear your hat
The way your sip your tea
The memory of all that
No, no, they can't take that away from me

The way your smile just beams
The way you sing off key
The way you haunt my dreams

We may never, never meet again
On the bumpy road to love
Still, I'll always, always keep the memory of

The way you hold your knife
The way we danced till three
The way you changed my life
No, they can't take that away from me

We may never, never meet again
On the bumpy road to love
Still, I'll always, always keep the memory of

The way you hold your knife
The way we danced till three
The way you changed my life
No, they can't take that away from me
Can't take that away
Can't take that away from me

(Frank Sinatra covered it 20 years later)

lizardking82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK, I have one question for a few members here and it's not accusation or sth, just a simple question:

When you spend time with someone, you ingrain them as part of your identity. Your family knows them, your friends know them, they are in your daily routine quite a lot and this goes on for a while. When this ends, let's say after 2 or 3 years at least, in a lot of cases more, don't you think it is going to affect you mentally and psychologically since this person was part of who you were for a certain time and that person completely leaving the frame of your life will inevitably put you in a slight or bigger identity crisis, especially for young people?

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
OK, I have one question for a few members here and it's not accusation or sth, just a simple question:

When you spend time with someone, you ingrain them as part of your identity. Your family knows them, your friends know them, they are in your daily routine quite a lot and this goes on for a while. When this ends, let's say after 2 or 3 years at least, in a lot of cases more, don't you think it is going to affect you mentally and psychologically since this person was part of who you were for a certain time and that person completely leaving the frame of your life will inevitably put you in a slight or bigger identity crisis, especially for young people?
It will, but you seem to be assuming she is superior and that the relationship is priceless and irreplaceable.

I've always said we're only as good as our backup relationship. If your #1 girl is light years ahead (in her interest level) of anyone else, focus on other women until you balance things. Your girl should be 5% better than the other girls and trying to keep you, so you stay with her.

Take my situation: my girl is (I'll admit) probably too good for me. That's why I just spent 6 months at the gym. I'm now 12% body fat instead of 19%. That means, in the worst case scenario, replacing her will be 19/12th's easier that it would have been 6 months ago.

As you said lizardking82, this forum is mainly about self improvement now.

lizardking82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It will, but you seem to be assuming she is superior and that the relationship is priceless and irreplaceable.

I've always said we're only as good as our backup relationship. If your #1 girl is light years ahead (in her interest level) of anyone else, focus on other women until you balance things. Your girl should be 5% better than the other girls and trying to keep you, so you stay with her.
No, no, I am not assuming she is superior. I am just assuming that since most of the leaving is done by the females and a lot of times, including myself, guys fail to notice when their woman is about to jump ship or simple leave them, it comes completely out of the blue and it is not only surprising, but it's sudden and sharp. Like, one day you with this person and you think things are alright, next day you wake up and they suddenly are going away.

This is not worth only with partners. This is worth with other things as well, with anything you can create an emotional bond really. If someone woke me up one day and told me "hey, your dog has vanished", it would mess with my mind.

Last edited:

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
No, no, I am not assuming she is superior. I am just assuming that since most of the leaving is done by the females and a lot of times, including myself, guys fail to notice when their woman is about to jump ship or simple leave them, it comes completely out of the blue and it is not only surprising, but it's sudden and sharp. Like, one day you with this person and you think things are alright, next day you wake up and they suddenly are going away.

This is not worth only with partners. This is worth with other things as well, with anything you can create an emotional bond really. If someone woke me up one day and told me "hey, your dog has vanished", it would mess with my mind.
It's only sudden if the man isn't paying attention. She will stop initiating 80% of the time, for one.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Once you can read her like a book, it's much easier to maintain the relationship. You're always one step ahead. When she is two texts away from saying LJBF, you say LJBF (and she talks you out of it). When she is one text away from flaking, you flake (and she talks you out of it). When she is about to go MIA for a week, you go MIA for 10 days (and suddenly she is horny again). As Coach Corey Wayne says, when she is chasing you, she can't be dumping you.

This should be almost a year's worth of friction btw (every four months or so we have a showdown it seems), but this is how to handle those situations.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's something that bothers me about this whole thing though. I can handle getting rejected or a girl breaking up with me much faster than most guys can (anywhere from 10 minutes - 2 days depending on the person, but it hasn't gotten to 2 days in many years so I don't know if a girl can still keep me 'hurting' for that long anymore; usually it's somewhere around 30-ish minutes I'd guess) and it's not NEARLY as intense as most others either. In fact, I wouldn't even call it heartbreak; it's more like a bittersweet feeling if anything. The only time I'm able to get through a breakup laughing and not feeling anything is when I fake the whole thing or remain so detached to where I can't fully enjoy the moments. That's why I made a thread asking about how to harden up my heart. How can you not feel anything at all after a breakup? Like absolutely nothing? And not just with women, with everything?

lizardking82

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's something that bothers me about this whole thing though. I can handle getting rejected or a girl breaking up with me much faster than most guys can (anywhere from 10 minutes - 2 days depending on the person, but it hasn't gotten to 2 days in many years so I don't know if a girl can still keep me 'hurting' for that long anymore; usually it's somewhere around 30-ish minutes I'd guess) and it's not NEARLY as intense as most others either. In fact, I wouldn't even call it heartbreak; it's more like a bittersweet feeling if anything. The only time I'm able to get through a breakup laughing and not feeling anything is when I fake the whole thing or remain so detached to where I can't fully enjoy the moments. That's why I made a thread asking about how to harden up my heart. How can you not feel anything at all after a breakup? Like absolutely nothing? And not just with women, with everything?
By being a sociopath. But then you cannot create emotional connections with things or people and I don't think that's healthy either (by my definition of healthy, of course). I think you just learn to minimize the damage caused by interrupted relations with humans or things you hold dear. That's all. No hurt means you don't enjoy anything.

Reaction score
Simple become a psychopath if you were not born one.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course, when being with someone for a while and they disappear, anybody is going to feel a great sense of loss. If this isn't the case, it wasn't a healthy relationship to begin with.

Women seemingly get over it faster because they do their grieving for the failed relationship while still in it. The clueless guy finds out about it well after she checked out.

That's why we men need to pick up the mantle for our relationships and be in charge of them. Women crave this, but most men just passively react to the energy instead of create the driving energy.

A decent women who is with a man who considers the relationship his responsibility is not going anywhere. She knows she has struck gold.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By being a sociopath. But then you cannot create emotional connections with things or people and I don't think that's healthy either (by my definition of healthy, of course). I think you just learn to minimize the damage caused by interrupted relations with humans or things you hold dear. That's all. No hurt means you don't enjoy anything.
Simple become a psychopath if you were not born one.
Already done :D:D:D

But it's not even that you're tough though, it's just that you're numb. That's the problem with psychopathic/sociopathic behavior. It's just numbing it out until it goes away, like a more advanced level of running away from your problems. That's why I'm hesitant about entering that state of mind right away. It doesn't make you TOUGHER or STRONGER. It just means that you more or less can't comprehend what just happened. Think of the toughest people you guys have ever met in your life. Do you think that those guys could even get heartbroken by any woman at all? And if they could, how long do you think they'd sulk for, if at all? How long would it take for them to get over it, if they even had to? How hard would the heartbreak hit them, if it even tickled their emotions at all? Do you think that it would negatively impact their daily lives? Now after answering these questions, answer me this: were those men psychopaths/sociopaths? These are serious questions by the way and I want to know what you guys are going to say.

Reaction score
No matter how tuff you are if you stick your hand in fire and leave it there for 20 seconds you going to have full partial (3rd degree burns). If you want to play with fire sometimes your going to get burned.

So when I play with fire I'm in and out at the first sign of pain. That limits my recovery time. The times I've got burned bad is when I didn't listen to my gut or stayed to long after red flags.

The beautiful thing about getting burned bad is after a few times in your youth you become so callus to it as an adult that you almost laugh at the ending.