What is a SET?

Nicholas Hill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unbelievable. I've searched bodybuilding.com and even google, but I don't know which of the following is true:

1) A set consists of ie 10 repetitions, and one repetition is a collection of ie 10 movements - ie, 10 pressups = 1 repetition, 10 repetitions = 1 set

2) A set consists of ie 10 repetitions, 1 repetition simply being ie one pressup.

Which one is true?

Yea I know, stupid.

Nick

Ying

Reaction score
A set, as I define it, is how many repetitions you make before taking a break. Like if you do 2 sets of 20 push ups, you do 20 push ups continuously then take a break for a few seconds to catch your breath and do 20 more push ups continuously.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you REPEAT a movement (squat, curl, press or whatever the exercise) 10 times in succession you have just performed a set of 10 repetitions or reps for short. Of course, you may perform a set of 6 or a set of 8 or any number of reps.

For example, 3 x 10 refers to 3 sets of 10 reps per set

Nicholas Hill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys.

So let me get this straight -

For a nice, bigger, toned set of muscles - you should only do - for example, 30 bench presses twice a week maximum? Compared to... 60 bench presses four times a week?

That's not much of a workout!

Anyone like to clarify?

Nick

chim_chim

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Correct. A lot of people here advocate doing each body part once per week.

So for example 4 sets of 6-8 reps once a week on benchpress. I've lifted upper body twice per week and gotten similar results as when I lifted upper body once per week. You have to do what works for you. Read Diesel's bulk guide, you don't have to follow everything exactly but it's a good general plan.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nicholas Hill
Cool. Thanks guys.

So let me get this straight -

For a nice, bigger, toned set of muscles - you should only do - for example, 30 bench presses twice a week maximum? Compared to... 60 bench presses four times a week?

That's not much of a workout!

Anyone like to clarify?

Nick
Well very generally yes - less is often more when weight training. Remember, all I gave was an explanation with an example. You clearly need to do some reading. Check the bulk guide and/or buy a good basic bodyubuilding book. Just a little research is all it takes.

Ying

Reaction score
I believe when the rep/set number is lowered the weight is increased most of the time correct? From many studies it has been proven that lower reps with heavier weights build mass while higher reps with lighter weights build lean muscle.

At least I'm pretty sure. :)

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ying
I believe when the rep/set number is lowered the weight is increased most of the time correct? From many studies it has been proven that lower reps with heavier weights build mass while higher reps with lighter weights build lean muscle.

Someone else who needs to do some basic reading.

Nicholas Hill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You didn't answer the question!

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a set is an X number of reps (repetition)

You do as many reps as you want. You define how many reps are your sets.

My sets are always around 6 to 8 reps for pretty much every exercise.

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and if you want definition in your muscle (to get more cut) then you go high reps - low weight

meaning instead of do'N sets of 8 reps of 100lbs

u do sets of 15 reps of 75lbs (fictive number)

Basicly, you do lighter weights but u do more reps in each sets.

If you want to bulk and get bigger then do low reps - high weights.

(The opposite of what I mentionned above)

low sets are about 6-8 reps
high sets are about 15-20 reps.

GHOST

Ying

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying Dee-Zy, I knew it was something along those lines. Thanks for the constructive criticism, works better than just calling someone an idiot like others do.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dee-Zy
Oh and if you want definition in your muscle (to get more cut) then you go high reps - low weight

meaning instead of do'N sets of 8 reps of 100lbs

u do sets of 15 reps of 75lbs (fictive number)

Basicly, you do lighter weights but u do more reps in each sets.

If you want to bulk and get bigger then do low reps - high weights.

(The opposite of what I mentionned above)

low sets are about 6-8 reps
high sets are about 15-20 reps.

GHOST
I don't know about that.... anywhere you look/research, be it on here or bodybuilding, they'll say to keep the high weight low rep no matter what you're doing.

Being cut comes from a lack of bodyfat not some "lean muscle" or "tight muscle" or whatever the heck they call it. Doing tons of reps will increase stamina in your muscles, just like running farther will increase your aerobic stamina, but it's not going to build the muscle, which is what you want if you want to get cut.

cutting = Low Body Fat % + Large Muscles underneith

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dee-Zy

GHOST
Being "cut" or defined is a matter of bodyfat levels. Reps don't need to be adjusted at all. This fallacy that you perform high reps to get defined is exactly that. Sure, if you perform high rep sets with limited rest periods you may get a limited aerobic effect but it is not down to the higher reps per se. Cutting up is primarily down to diet and to a lesser extent, targeted aerobic work.

Rather reminds me of people who think they need to perform hundreds of sit-ups to get visible abs:rolleyes:.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ying
From many studies it has been proven that lower reps with heavier weights build mass while higher reps with lighter weights build lean muscle.

So this implies that if you perform lower reps you will gain more mass - which is generally true - but what kind of mass are we talking about? Lean muscle is lean muscle and any other weight you may gain i.e. fat, is down to diet and possibly inactivity depending on the individual. Lower reps will stimulate the fast twitch muscle fibres (assuming the weight is sufficient) - the kind you need in order to get bigger - higher reps will not be as effective to achieve this aim and will have more of an effect on the slow twitch endurance fibres - which do little to contribute to muscular size.

And you still need to do some reading;) .

Last edited: