Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What I learned about DJing (and life) while fighting in martial arts

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When I first started fighting, I was like any other beginner...nervous and fearful of the outcome. Then I started getting more practice and training, I came to a point where I would fight anybody in my school without any hesitation. I would go up against bigger guys and fight as hard as I could. Just like in life, I won some and I lost some, but the point is I was not a very nice guy when I fought. This attitude was established from the point when I threw my first strike that I meant business.

And then things changed last summer, I was in a competition and I tore my ACL. I was at the doctor the next day where he drew blood from my knees and told me that I needed an operation. I could not fight for about four months after the operation. When I went back to school, my fear of getting hurt kept growing. I hated going to fight, but I forced my self. For the past six months, I been going into my fights being a nice guy Nice Guy . I try to become buddy buddy with other fighters so that they don't hurt me too much. I don't hit them hard just so they wont get pissed at me. I don't throw my techniques with complete accuracies (i.e. purposely missing) because I don't want to hurt them. WHAT DO I GET IN RETURN? ......... complete disrespect from other fighters, they see me as a weak fighter who can be easily run over.......hence their confidence increases and they beat the daylights outta me. It's all about the confidence....something that I use to have when I use to fight....that same confidence made me win most of my fights....my ratio use to be approximately 7 wins to 3 losses. So last night I fought someone and I pretended to be his buddy and asked him "anything you wanna work on?" and tried getting on his good side by not going hard with him......in return, he goes hard and now I am sitting at home with bruises on my thigh which did not let me sleep last night b/c of pain. The whole day I have had trouble moving.

I guess I needed these bruises as a wakeup call....not just in fighting, but in life also. The concept of being "too nice" will cause disrespect in fighting, in dating, at the workplace, and in everyday life. Your enemy will see you as no threat, the women will see you as a wussy weakling, your boss will see you as non-motivated, and people around will see you as something to run-over......and believe me most people are just waiting for the opportunity to run someone over.....just to make themselves feel better.

The funny thing is that, as I was growing up to age of 18, I was a typical nerd/nice guy. I use to get beat up alot in school. No girl would even think of talking to me. Then I got so damn angry one day.......and it happened in that moment that I was gonna change my life. No one was gonna push me around....my promise to myself were tested in the next few days. I was in a line at school to enter the gym and some guy hit me in the back of my head. My previous self would have ignored it b/c I was once beaten unconsious and left there to die on the concrete previously. But this time it was different, the anger in me came out and turned around and saw three kids laughing...I picked one kid and punched him in the face. I don't know where I was getting the strength b/c I had never fought before but I started hitting these three kids...eventually they tackled me and threw me to the ground, but I was happy that I fought three guys and went down fighting. From that point, I started taking karate, talked to many girls as possible, and went to college to get good grades consistently. I was getting girls left and right. It was just a matter of confidence. I was taking risks and realizing that the only way to win is to step out of the comfort zone and take risks.

Unfortunately, after graduating college, I slipped back into being a nice guy and wuss b/c I entered the corporate world. Everyone around me was professional and "nice". My girls started to use me as an emotional punching bag. But now I realize that it's a different type of nice in the corporate world. It's the type of nice that they smile in front of but stab you in the back.

And once again, as I sit here with a bruised thigh, I think of the young kid who was waiting to unleash his bottled anger at the world. The next guy to fight me is gonna have a handful :D and oh let's not forget about the women, they'll have a handful too :p

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mahon83050
Good Post! What you say has alot of truth to it. By the way, you do not go to Tiger Schulmanns Karate do you?
Mahon

I use to go there. You teach there?

duke007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that is a really motivating story. thanks for that.

I think I'm going to look into joining a martial arts club. I've never had a problem with getting beaten up, but doing this would really let my confidence shine through.

In fact, I had a friend who was a bit of an unimposing sissy boy in junior school that transformed himself into a ladies man over the past 8 years. I've since realised it was probably the karate lessons that did it for him.

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
martial arts is a chiq magnet. Seriously, I get compliments all the time !

Let's say we're talking about hobbies, happens what every
week right ? So it goes something like 'Yeah I play soccer' 'Yeah I play soccer too' 'Me too' 'I play basketball' etc.. etc.. me I act as if I don't give a ****, cause bragging about fighting/martial art is plain gay, seriously. But if the chiq asks I go like 'Well don't take this the wrong way, but I do (name of your martial art, mine is pretty unknown, so is great great great :D), now don't go thinking I'm one of those loser vandamme wannebes, it's great fun to do that's just it' 'Oh, that's great, at least what you are doing is usefull, I mean what's up with soccer anyway' -> jackpot, this happens 99% of the times women ask me this, seriously. Just don't start bragging about it, this gives them alot of information while you say nothing, yet you're a friggin mystery to them :

-They would never have guessed you did martial arts, just fitness or something, what else are you hiding ?
-They know you aren't one of those losers that brags he can kick your ass because he does martial arts
-They unconsciously feel safe with you
-They always wanne know more details

Super great, also act (well don't act, normally you really are) passinate about the art you practice, great subject to talk about, and it's a super thing to get contact with a girl (no don't punch her in the face lol), see we train with pressure points, so when explaining this, I grab her hand, contact, show her where it is, she won't understand, but you got her hand and you're looking in her eyes when explaining -> jackpot..

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ow yes, self-esteem and self-control rise through the roof after a year or two of practicing a good art !! I changed in many good ways thanks to this art, and since I've been practicing I didn't get in a single fight. People that wanne fight look for the weak people, if you are walking through the streets like you can rape their entire family, they won't really pick on you .. I'm gonne stop cause I can go on and on about fighting and martial arts, I love it :D

USSOCOM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Martial Arts is tha sh!t!!, its not just a work out its a way of life! I've been taking Tae Kwon Do for about 6 years now and got my black belt a year ago and almost nobody knows this about me, its great! Its a little something I like to keep up my sleeve thats mysterious. I love fighting because when I am, I- am totally focused and I have not met anyone that can beat me yet!! Keep on fightin ninjas......

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by BMW
Mahon

I use to go there. You teach there?

teach there....lol. I went to Tiger Schulmanns for one year-Jersey shore area, and it was damn expensive. It was around $1600 for 100 beginners classes. I see you are from NYC, my old sensai I think teaches in Brooklyn somewhere. I did learn some cool stuff and only made it blue belt. Maybe I will go back once I get more money. I do think self defense is good to know, especially if you have a hot g/f.

Ultra Sho gun,

Tiger Schulmanns teaches a Hybrid style which is a combo of Karate, Ju Jitsu and Aikido. I think Karate is pretty much useless in a fight, it is the Aikido and Ju Jitsu that makes the difference!
:D

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going through this transformation myself. I just posted in discussion about it yesterday. What style do you do? I'm interested in fighting in tournaments myself, but I have a ways to go before I do that. I need to develop my killer instinct too.

Good post.

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Celadus
Yeah, I'm going through this transformation myself. I just posted in discussion about it yesterday. What style do you do? I'm interested in fighting in tournaments myself, but I have a ways to go before I do that. I need to develop my killer instinct too.

Good post.
Honestly, I would have to say that a good boxer who has good grappling skills can take on most of the martial artists.

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nah, boxers are flawed in bare knuckle fights against muah tau, kickboxing, sanshou, and all the rest of it. And grappling is not the way to go in a street fight, I don't know how it works for you guys, but over here you don't get in a street fight 1vs1, it's always 1vs2 or 1vs3, so you have to be quick, agressive, and make sure you can run faster then the dudes you didn't hit :)

USSOCOM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Street fights are the best!! You definetly have to be quick. The key is to fight one at a time, use the guy your fighting to block the other guys....

whoami

Don Juan
Reaction score
martial arts is good confidence booster...
it starts from learning self defense, getting good body shape, stamina n confidence in every department... when u r martial artist the way u walk changes, the way u react to situations changes too
i m just wiating for this place to get exploded with this thread on grappling vs striking debate :D...
any one up for that ?? hehehe :p

myself being a Martial artist for 7 yrs with TaeKwonDo, Tai Chi, Wrestling and some other local Martial arts...
fights r only won or lost in/by mind... not in streets or by styles...
WhoAmI

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with BMW. The school I train at during the school year teaches us boxing, muay thai, and Brazilian jujitsu. I think grappling and striking both have their places in different situations.

Martial arts is GREAT for the confidence.

Boxing has been proven to be the best system with hands. Its probably the oldest style in the world. The kicks in muay thai are realistic and devastating. And Brazilian jujitsu is probably the best ground system. I would like to take some Sambo classes too. My teaches are so against cross training..I'm going to a Joe Lewis kickboxing seminar on May 9th, and I didn't tell them because I think Lewis has alittle TKD in his style. I'd like to have a few high kicks in my arsenal to use on the drunk guys...It looks nice.

There's my challenge to anyone who thinks one way is better. Cross training is the only answer :)

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Muay Thai and Brazilian jujitsu are my base styles, but I think I could benefit from all kinds. When I cross trained in others, I'd think in terms of what works and adopt it to my "Celabus style". Neither Muay Thai or Brazilian jujitsu use pressure points, but I could learn that from a standard jujitsu or kung fu instructor and add that into my own style. I could use a few kicks from TKD, and things like that.

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All this talk about martial arts getting the chicks intrigued is making my crack up.

WHY is this? I have a theory, and it's probably correct.

When you first hear the words "martial arts", what do you instantly think of?

Karate? Sure.

Kung Fu? No doubt.

Tae Kwon Do? Yep.

What's the common denominator here?

They're all ASIAN fighting arts.

People subconsciously associate martial arts with things ASIAN, because that is where America first got its martial arts craze from in teh 70s.... from Bruce Lee, to be exact. From Jeet Kwun Do, people started studying other Eastern martial arts. I know that there are other martial arts from other places in the world, but we started that shiet. :D

'So what?' you ask? Why would the fact that these arts are from ASIA make it so mysterious? It's because anything Asian carries the stigma of being mysterious and secretive in America. I hear it from the very mouths of people themselves.

"Asian girls are so coy."

"Asian guys are so mysterious... that's sexy."

"Asian culture is so strange and interesting."

I think that the fact that these martial arts are associated with Asia and Asians is what gives it an aura of mysterious sexuality.

LOL, I'm just joking around here, but I think there's an element of truth to it. Think about it. Is Brazilian Jujitsu so sexy? Nah. I think of people in bikinis and grass skirts when I think of Brazil. Krav Maga? WTF? Is that Arabic? Great coffee, good shisha, but NOT martial arts.

:D

laterz fellas.

-Jake

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score