Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What causes jealousy?

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
Back when I was growing up and in high school, my peers didn't really think much of me. Though I was accomplishing a lot that would go towards my career, my scrawny frame and my lack of assertiveness/awareness socially during that time kept me out of the loop of basically everything. While at college, I worked on my physique and picked up a lot of muscle, I became very socially assertive/aware and most importantly, I continued to work towards my career choice. A few months after graduating college, I was offered an entry-level position at a major company (the biggest in my desired field), took the job and moved away. Good story, right?

Well, it is. Unfortunately, it appears that some of my friends from back home have decided to talk to me as little as possible. While some of them are cool and act like the people I know, the friend I spoke to the most I barely hear from, one who was laid back is now confrontational, a couple of the others are trying to demonstrate that they can do well without me being in touch. Random acquaintances from high school who I run into seemingly keep tabs on my via Facebook and ask how many months until I am no longer there or presume I am a gopher of sorts - I know the latter because my younger sister is still in town and they ask her these things. People who would normally say hi now stare at me and then hide. To put it bluntly, there has been noticeable change.

I have to think there is some jealousy here. Now I don't really care about the acquaintances, but some of my friends acting differently really bothers me. To make things worse, the friends acting weird are my closest of the friends, the ones I have known the longest. When I was home last month, I only saw three friends out of about 8-9 in our group. The others were not reachable. I feel like everyone secretly hoped I'd lose, and when I won, it made them angry. It shouldn't be this way.

Ok, enough about me. My question is, what causes one person to be the cause of envy but not another? For example, Tom Brady is a superstar quarterback and has a model wife, most people embrace him. Other peers of mine going in their desired directions...adored.

So again, what do you think causes one person to be the cause of envy but not another? Is there some sort of expectation level involved, or how does it work?

Fred_Scuttle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Insecure women

Fat women

Ugly Women

Fat Guys

ugly Guys

Poor guys

Men that have no skills with women

Guys that are envious of rich men

Guys that are envious of handsome men that attract lots of women

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel like everyone secretly hoped I'd lose, and when I won, it made them angry. It shouldn't be this way.

Yep, that happens, because they see someone achieving and they realize they could do more, but they are lazy to do so, instead of getting productive they get mad at you since it is easier.

I don't think you'll be able to change them, my advice is to get new friends - there are plenty of people out there who will reply with "awesome" when you are happy about your new job.

That's the real test - when you are doing well see who is HAPPY for you and doesn't ask for anything. Keep those people around they are gold.

Most aren't jealous of Tom Brady because they think he is "naturally talented" and they aren't. If Tom was a kid from your school who just worked harder, they would probably still say he is "lucky" instead of saying he worked much harder than I could have.

Men shouldn't get jealous that's a female trait - heard Jay-z say that, I agree, real men better their lives and care about that most of all - it makes no sense wasting energy being envious of others, here is a secret:

everyone has issues and problems, chances are you wouldn't trade with someone else, because your own problems are the devil you know.

Good luck, and I am happy for you

EvilAgenda

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You are self absorbed. You think it's their fault for not being happy for you as they should be. You are into your career, into yourself, and into thinking that whatever I say doesn't matter because it's not your fault they are jealous of you.

As a man, you have to take care of those who don't have your determination or your goals or your wits. A leader doesn't abandon his fellow men. They are insecure because you are succeeding and they aren't.

Show them you care about them, not through words, but through action.

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Amazing. Your insight makes sense. Having said that, I presume that my hometown peers feel everyone else is "naturally talented" but that I am simply "lucky." I think you're also correct with people being lazy and then becoming mad instead doing the hard work to do the best that they can.

These same people will initially say "Awesome!" then disappear or act differently than before; they put on a face.

Fred_Scuttle - I'm guessing you are naming the type of people who would act this way?

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
EvilAgenda said:
You are self absorbed. You think it's their fault for not being happy for you as they should be. You are into your career, into yourself, and into thinking that whatever I say doesn't matter because it's not your fault they are jealous of you.

As a man, you have to take care of those who don't have your determination or your goals or your wits. A leader doesn't abandon his fellow men. They are insecure because you are succeeding and they aren't.

Show them you care about them, not through words, but through action.
The bolded points make sense, the rest of it I'm confused by. Especially the last part. I'm not self-absorbed, but when my friends begin acting a lot differently towards me, I am going to notice. You would too.

EvilAgenda

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I notice when my friends suddenly act differently towards me. And it sends alarms.

What I'm saying to you, Mr. Goods, is that all of us never consider that it might be our fault. Yes, they are jealous, because they are insecure. But if you truly value them being in your life, then you have to see things from their point of view.

You are bringing out the insecurity in them. So, put them at ease.

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
EvilAgenda said:
Yes, I notice when my friends suddenly act differently towards me. And it sends alarms.

What I'm saying to you, Mr. Goods, is that all of us never consider that it might be our fault. Yes, they are jealous, because they are insecure. But if you truly value them being in your life, then you have to see things from their point of view.

Point taken, any suggestions? While I don't go around saying, "Check out this new job I have that you're not good enough for"...some of these same friends took jabs at the new position before it started too.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you in the past displayed any kind of air of superiority with them, or expressed how you current lifestyle is not good enough for you and that you want to do better?

I find that those two things can easily cause people to envy and want to see you crash and burn.

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EvilAgenda said:

Interesting, what exactly do you suggest he do? He hasn't changed, he is doing same thing he always has been, living his life, and as far as I can tell he isn't coming back to brag.. so how is this his fault?

Put them at ease- meaning what exactly, coming there and saying "Hey don't worry if you don't have a good job we are still friends" - isn't this just common sense?

and the other guy who even said do it though actions - you want him to write them "I think of you" cards or take those guys out to a club and pay for VIP.. what?

Seriously, I don't get why him being successful is somehow on him.. I have plenty of more successful friends than I and myself am one to others, that doesn't mean I have to ask them for anything or even to pay for my drinks when we go out.

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
Amazing said:
Interesting, what exactly do you suggest he do?

Put them at ease- meaning what exactly, coming there and saying "Hey don't worry if you don't have a good job we are still friends" - isn't this just common sense?

and the other guy who even said do it though actions - you want him to write them "I think of you" cards or take those guys out to a club and pay for VIP.. what?
Pretty much my thinking when I created this thread. I'm simply interested in hearing the different takes here. I feel I don't owe my friends anything here.

As for Atom Smasher's questions, I have not. While I feel some of my friends could be doing better if they applied themselves more (they're lazy or give up on things too soon), I have not mentioned the fact.