Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Weight training for martial arts/self defence

MattB

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi guys

Well I am making decent progress in gaining mass
and now I am wondering wether the incresaed strength will enhance my fighting ablities.

What are some excresies that I can do to increase my punch and kick power? What about speed?

I heard deadlifts and squats are good
is that true?

MattB

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no
lol

but in highschool some guys were

i wont get my revenge on them, but if i see them again and they start to insult or pickon up, i will teach them a lesson

Ian1983

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to increase striking ability, theres no real substitute for actually hitting things. But if you wanna increase the muscle, do the golden oldies...bench press, dead lft, chin/pull ups, 1 armed push up, squats etc. Try and do some plyometric exercises as well to increase the speed of your shots. Plus do some running (aim for under 6 min mile).
Depends what you want it for. Are you actually training (for self defense, or because you got a fight coming up, which I doubt from the sounds of it), or are you some guy who sees a fighter and things they want a body like that (no offense intended, just some of those guys annoy me).

ClosetMisogynist

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wrong Book

Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training by Thomas Kurz.

Maybe look for stuff similair to this too:
Relax into Stretch : Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension
by Pavel Tsatsouline

Super Joints: Russian Longevity Secrets for Pain-Free Movement, Maximum Mobility & Flexible Strength
by Pavel Tsatsouline

Power to the People! : Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American
by Pavel Tsatsouline

Beyond Stretching : Russian Flexibility Breakthroughs
by Pavel Tsatsouline

The Russian Kettlebell Challenge
by Pavel Tsatsouline

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
My reccomendation is the book "Dynamic Stregnth" by Harry Wong. It requires absolutely no equipment to perform the exercises or anything. I've seen incredible results using the book's methods and it's really cheap (I got mine for 6.95)

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Talk to your sensei about it. I'm surprised you don't go through a vigorous routine during your lessons. Nonetheless, he should be able to give you a routine mainly of calesthenics and light weight work and blocking/weaving/punching drills. Deadlifts, squats, bench ontop of that should leave you pretty solid.

ultrashogun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Always remember to do your benchpresses and pushups wide AND tight so you train your pecs for roundish hook punches and your triceps for every karatekas favorite punch, the straight punch.
Another important thing to remember is that you should somehow condition your wrists. Youll be surprised how easily youll **** those up if your not prepared. To do this either do knuckle pushups(I think theyre great, some will disagree) or punch a makiwara.

FlyGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another important thing to remember is that you should somehow condition your wrists. Youll be surprised how easily youll **** those up if your not prepared.
I can personally vouch for this one... When I first started training I got a punching bag and thought I could just pound away - until I got tired and punched it too hard with a relaxed arm. Wrist hyperextension = pain.

ultrashogun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I can personally vouch for this one... When I first started training I got a punching bag and thought I could just pound away - until I got tired and punched it too hard with a relaxed arm. Wrist hyperextension = pain.
Hell yeah, I ordered myself a makiwara punching board from kwon, paid 30€ for it, hung it up, punched it as hard as I could,
CRACK, wrist ****ed up. Couldnt practise for weeks.
Since then I do knuckle pushups.

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do knuckle push-ups out of habit, I'm quite a light guy so I can do loads of regular ones.

And yeah, if you can afford it get a punchbag- they're great. Good for stress too! Tho mine fell off the wall (bringing most of the wall down with it) a week ago, and I rele need to get it back up:rolleyes: grrrr ah well.

Oh yeah, and the wrist thing is very important. SHould you get in a fight the last thing you want to do it hit a guy and feel your wrist buckle. I dont know what kind of fighting u do, but for muay thai u wear bandages or wrist guards- and I'd strongly recomend them for punchbags.

All you do with the bandage is cut a hole in one end, wrap it round your wrist and hand (starting with the hole-less end) and, when you run out of bandage, put your thumb through the hole to finish it off. There, nice and cheap, and it'll be worth it.

I'd also like to suggest that you start with gloves, but then move onto just bandages, cos if your doing this to be ready incase of a fight, you'll need to be able to deal with hitting things. If you've never experienced hitting something with bare knuckles it can be quite a shock, my knuckles bled the first time I did it, but you build up a resistance after a while.

I'd also like to suggest weighted punches, it just makes you a bit quicker and improves the amount of force you put into the punches.

I'm mainly self taught, so I'm just saying what has worked for me- I do this stuff cos I enjoy it. Its more of a hobby than for fitness.:)

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MattB
Hi guys

Well I am making decent progress in gaining mass
and now I am wondering wether the incresaed strength will enhance my fighting ablities.

What are some excresies that I can do to increase my punch and kick power? What about speed?

I heard deadlifts and squats are good
is that true?
Just go to your classes and spar as often as you can. I see alot of beginners going real hard with everyone and once they get beaten....alot of them don't come back. Pace your self and go harder as you technique improves. Do bag training. Run 3 miles few times a week. Weight training is a nice supplement to your martial arts but don't depend on it to make your strikes faster and harder. Once again, spar as often as possible.

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cloud-uk

I'd also like to suggest weighted punches, it just makes you a bit quicker and improves the amount of force you put into the punches.

Over the long run, that's asking for injuries to your rotator cuffs.