Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

" We have been abandoned by our own country."

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Again, the lack of planning and execution on the local and state levels led to a multitude of problems that couldn't be anticipated by the Feds.

Leaving thousands of people to fend for themselves instead of putting them on school buses and taking them to the Dome, and having food, medicine and water waiting for them at the Dome was part of the Emergency plan, but for some unknown reason, wasn't implemented by the Mayor of NO

And the Mayor of NO didn't bother to call for an evacuation until less than 24 hours before the hurricane hit NO, while other localities that weren't even in the Hurricane's direct path, called for mandatory evacs 72 hours before hand.

Before people start nit-picking about mistakes made by FEMA in the after math of the Hurricane, and yes, when there is devastation of this magnitude, not everything is going to go as planned, but the time to get things done and done right is before the Hurricane hits, not after.

Plain and simple, the City of New Orleans left tens of thousands of people to fend for themselves,many sick and elderly, instead of evacuating them before the hurricane hit.

Doing so afterwards was/is next to impossible, yet the critics are wondering why the Feds weren't able to do so and rescue the tens of thousands of people left stranded by their local government(s)

Mayor Nagin has a lot to answer for, yet nobody seems to be even bothering asking the question at this point.

Why weren't those buses mobilized?

Why wasn't the Emergency plan implemented?

Why wasn't the Super Dome set up in advance for evacuee's and stocked with food, water and medicine and security before hand, and not after when 90% of the city was flooded and impassible?

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo

Yes, blaming FEMA for the lack of planning and execution is wrong, but FEMA isn't exactly bright and cheery either. I'm not sure if you knew it, but FEMA turned back 18-wheelers loaded with water that Wal-Mart sent to help, as well as telling emergency workers they couldn't have any of the thousands of gallons fuel an oil company donated especially to those very people... and don't forget FEMA actually cutting the parish emergency communications line (which is now protected by armed deputies)...
Can you Independantly source these claims, and, did any of it have to do with those people's safety being in jeoprady?

Rescuer's and helicopters were being shot at by the local thugs on the ground.

Was anybody turned back because of that?

Just curious, and again, can you source those claims, or do we take Brossard's word for it?

See my post below for more about Brossard and his credibility issue's

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Broussard is under investigation for Corruption and is in CYA mode, so I wouldn't take what he says at face value:

Source: http://www.wdsu.com/news/4866083/detail.html?subid=10100245

Report: Aaron Broussard, Judge Subpoenaed In Corruption Probe

POSTED: 5:37 am CDT August 18, 2005
UPDATED: 6:28 am CDT August 18, 2005

NEW ORLEANS -- Two more Jefferson Parish officials are being drawn into the corruption probe dubbed Operation Wrinkled Robe, according to a newspaper report.

The Times-Picayune reports that investigators have issued subpoenas to Parish President Aaron Broussard and 24th District Judge Kernan "Skip" Hand.

The story says the subpoenas are related to political donations made by Bail Bonds Unlimited to Hand's campaigns.

Last month, Judge Alan Green was convicted of mail fraud as a result of the ongoing investigation.

He was caught by FBI video surveillance taking an envelope stuffed with money from a Bail Bonds Unlimited employee.

Date: Thu Jul 14, 20054:36 am
Subject: I'm Aaron Broussard and I know more than you
westleyannis

I'm Aaron Broussard and I know more than you

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/daparish/message/276

excerpt from "daparish · da-parish.com E-newsletter"

Regardless of whether or not a government body calls for an evacuation, it is important to remember that it is only a voluntary evacuation. As Broussard stated repeatedly, he and other government officials will never call for a mandatory evacuation. Therefore, it is each persons and each families decision to make when they will evacuate. Waiting on the government to tell you is abdicating all responsibility for your own personal safety.

Again, Broussard is in CYA mode - no mandatory evacuation, then, he complains when the Feds can't rescue those due to his and others incompetence and lack of planning.

Broussard's plan was basically "Every Man for themselves" and when that resulted in tens of thousands being left in peril, he goes on National TV and cry's and and asks "Where are they, where are the rescuers?"

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am appreciative of what everyone has done for the people impacted by Katrina. I don't think most people understand the magnitude of what went down, and what's still going down.

An entire city is under several feet of water. Then you have the coasts of two states completely devastated. No power, no clean water, no communication, no transportaton.

In the blink of an eye, the government(s) is supposed to evacuate, shelter, feed, and police thousands of people across two states. Sure, we all knew a hurricane was coming, but no man on Earth could tell you something even close to this would happen.

I have no doubt many people have suffered through horrors that I will never see in my lifetime, but lets get real, as mighty as our society may be sometimes nature comes out of nowhere to kick our helpless behinds.

LuvMyArmyMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chico, CA during school, and Irivine off-school
I feel bad for my friend named Katrina, cuz look at what the bad rep her name is getting.

jk

i agree wtih Derek and MetalFortress and thanks, Anarchist Star for being an intelligent democrat who isn't an ignorant argue-for-arguements sake kind of democrat.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek Flint
Doing so afterwards was/is next to impossible, yet the critics are wondering why the Feds weren't able to do so and rescue the tens of thousands of people left stranded by their local government(s)
No offense, but I'm going to quote a part of an open letter written to the president by a New Orleans paper:
Bienville built New Orleans where he built it for one main reason: It’s accessible. The city between the Mississippi River and Lake Pontchartrain was easy to reach in 1718.

How much easier it is to access in 2005 now that there are interstates and bridges, airports and helipads, cruise ships, barges, buses and diesel-powered trucks.

Despite the city’s multiple points of entry, our nation’s bureaucrats spent days after last week’s hurricane wringing their hands, lamenting the fact that they could neither rescue the city’s stranded victims nor bring them food, water and medical supplies.

Meanwhile there were journalists, including some who work for the Times-Picayune, going in and out of the city via the Crescent City Connection. On Thursday morning, that crew saw a caravan of 13 Wal-Mart tractor trailers headed into town to bring food, water and supplies to a dying city.

Television reporters were doing live reports from downtown New Orleans streets. Harry Connick Jr. brought in some aid Thursday, and his efforts were the focus of a "Today" show story Friday morning.

Yet, the people trained to protect our nation, the people whose job it is to quickly bring in aid were absent. Those who should have been deploying troops were singing a sad song about how our city was impossible to reach.

Mayor Nagin has a lot to answer for, yet nobody seems to be even bothering asking the question at this point.
http://tinypic.com/ddc2df
http://utools.com/DomeBuses.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~idkfa/bus2.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~idkfa/bus1.jpg
http://tinypic.com/bijv9j.jpg
http://runn.smugmug.com/photos/34543098-S.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~phildragoo/wsb/media/440736/site1564.jpg

You're right, nobody even noticed. :rolleyes:

Why weren't those buses mobilized?
I don't think it's going to be called "Lake Nagin" and "Blanco's Armada" for nothing...

Why wasn't the Emergency plan implemented?
Since this keeps coming up, look at what the Department of Homeland security has responsibility for:
From the DHS website: "In the event of a terrorist attack, natural disaster or other large-scale emergency, the Department of Homeland Security will assume primary responsibility for ensuring that emergency response professionals are prepared for any situation. This will entail providing a coordinated, comprehensive federal response to any large-scale crisis and mounting a swift and effective recovery effort. The Department will also prioritize the important issue of citizen preparedness. Educating America's families on how best to prepare their homes for a disaster and tips for citizens on how to respond in a crisis will be given special attention at DHS." http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/theme_home2.jsp

Also worth noting is the following article:
Louisiana Develops Improved Hurricane Evacuation Plan

April 13, 2005 -- According to today's FEMA National Situation Update, a new hurricane evacuation plan was demanded by Governor Kathleen Blanco after Hurricane Ivan when a traffic snarl that stretched from New Orleans to Baton Rouge lasted upward of 12 hours. The plan was put together by state police and the DOTD and includes evacuation routes for not only New Orleans and points south, but Lake Charles, Lafayette and the Houma-Thibodaux area. Under the new plan preparing for evacuations would begin at least 72 hours in advance. One of the problems during Ivan was the time required to get barriers, people and other material in place to allow lane reversal on highways.

Beginning 50 hours in advance, evacuations south of New Orleans would be ordered, public offices and schools would be closed, but traffic would remain along normal routes.

At 40 hours, evacuation south of the Mississippi River, including the West Bank of New Orleans, would be ordered.

In Phase 3, if the storm is a category 3 storm or higher, contraflow would be triggered.
Problems that slowed traffic last time ran the gamut from signs that were too hard to read, forcing drivers to slow excessively, to breakdowns. Under the new system tow trucks will be stationed along the routes and new signs will be installed. The new hurricane evacuation plan also requires a number of new ramps to be added or widened, new crossovers and other items at a cost of $7.5 million.

As a Baton Rouge resident, I can tell you that they have been adding and widening ramps and interstates between several of the cities from Baton Rouge to New Orleans for some months now. As the plan stated, contraflow was activated. I'm not going to take the rest of the plan apart piece by piece simply because I don't have the time or inclination to - it's a lot easier to ask questions other people thought of than try to find answers for yourself.
Why wasn't the Super Dome set up in advance for evacuee's and stocked with food, water and medicine and security before hand, and not after when 90% of the city was flooded and impassible?
From what I've found out, the Super Dome wasn't intended initially to be an evacuation center - it was supposed to be a location where people went in order to be evacuated to evacuation centers. Obviously whoever thought up that brilliant idea probably wasn't very bright, but that answers your question - according to the "plan", the Super Dome never should have been used in the first place to harbor refugees.

Can you Independantly source these claims
Looking up all of the answers to all of these questions is taking more time than I have; if you aren't going to believe numerous newspapers and articles from both sides of the political spectrum agreeing on, then I've got something for you. Here's the challenge - instead of you asking for other people to refute points that bring up, how about you show us something that says that Wal-Mart was allowed to bring those 3 tractor trailers with water into the city a week prior? Show us some verification that the Coast Guard didn't say "FEMA said you couldn't have the fuel", and that FEMA didn't cut the emergency lines. I've looked, and I can't find a thing to back up the claim you made that these events all were figments of some man's imagination.

Rescuer's and helicopters were being shot at by the local thugs on the ground. Was anybody turned back because of that?
Isolated incodents - not as widespread as the Fox News Channel would have you believe. A group of 7 men shot at a convoy of rescue workers who were protected by Guardsmen. The Guardsmen returned fire and took out 5 of the 7. There were several scattered reports of Chinooks being shot at with small-arms (handguns), but this took place well after the Hurricane hit... the 18-wheelers were turned back before it ever happened.

Just curious, and again, can you source those claims, or do we take Brossard's word for it?
And again, I've done more than my part in answering the 8298 questions you've asked. Let's see you link to a reliable source saying that everything he said about that was made up - that none of it really happened. Hey, maybe the Hurricane was made-up too!

See my post below for more about Brossard and his credibility issue's
I could care less if the guy likes to dress up like a girl and wear lipstick when he's not at work. Attempting to cloud an issue by bringing up non-relevant information from someone's personal life is a rather weak tactic, to say the least. Address the facts - show us that the 3 things he said happened didn't happen, don't say "Oh, he's a under investigation for something so the Coast Guard didn't really say (under direction from FEMA) that emergency workers couldn't have that fuel".. :rolleyes:

In any event, the unarguable fact remains that there were many things done wrong by many individuals and organizations. It's too early to figure out many of the specifics, however I believe that there will be many changes brought about as a direct result of these actions and inactions.

WastelandWarrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
Its been over 200 years since our revolution and still people can't differentiate between our country and our government.

Pathetic.

crowes22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, Derek Flint is again asking all the right questions and making all the right points. Good job Derek.

Anyway, the problem is simple. Nagin and Blanco are both Democrats. This fact in itself proves that they are both severely mentally handicapped.

Those two idiots dropped the ball and didn't perform, it was their job to do and they didn't do it. Then they got slammed by Katrina and had to place blame and did so on Bush and FEMA, who were of course not to blame at all.

And the media chimed in w/ their liberal feminazi bias like they always do. Some of you are such sheep.

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by crowes22
Well, Derek Flint is again asking all the right questions and making all the right points. Good job Derek.

Anyway, the problem is simple. Nagin and Blanco are both Democrats. This fact in itself proves that they are both severely mentally handicapped.

Those two idiots dropped the ball and didn't perform, it was their job to do and they didn't do it. Then they got slammed by Katrina and had to place blame and did so on Bush and FEMA, who were of course not to blame at all.

And the media chimed in w/ their liberal feminazi bias like they always do. Some of you are such sheep.
Damn... and the whole time the answer was right in front of our face.

*Slaps forehead* If Nagin and Blanco were not Democrats, this would have never happened.

And it's the liberals who are the sheep yeah? ;)

This is not even a partisian issue, so stop trying to make it one. The fact that indeed both Nagin (who looked rather pathetic crying on television for the federal government to clean up his glaring mistakes) as well as Blanco (who managed to watch one of her cities be destroyed from the sidelines while also pointing the finger at the federal government) dropped the ball is more due to the fact that they are not good at doing their jobs and less to do with the fact that that they have an 'ass' as a party symbol.

Okay, okay... we know (as it has been repeated a few times on this thread) that they federal government had to clean up more bull**** than they should have, but we are forgetting one very important thing.

It's the mother****ing federal government! Trying to retract all of the blame on the local, and state governments and placing no blame on the federal government is like not making fun of a senior in college if he re-took the SAT and got a 800 (out of 2400). As Diablo pointed out (from information of the Department of Homeland Security website, which FEMA is a part of) this is exact the sort of situation that they are responsible for... whether local and state governments **** up or not.

Face it folks, our current government has simply created too expanse of a beaucracy (sp?) which leads to too many cooks (and red tape to go through) in the kitchen. Just how many federal directors of this, that, and the other need to hold briefings and be interviewed?

So sorry man, but the feds have to take some (if not most) of the blame too. That's what happens with anyone who provides a service (like me, you, and everyone else) to the public... you are subject to their wrath when you do not do your job.

AS

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
FEMA was essentially taken over by the Office of Homeland Defense. Any anger with how well FEMA responded should be attributed to the Office of Homeland Defense.

The local authorities should have asked for the government to help get things in place. They should have asked for help to evacuate door to door. They may have asked and not gotten help, who knows.

The fact of the matter is this...once the flooding came the local officials weren't able to do much. All their equipment was under water and they found themselves in the same boat all the others in the city were in.

Bush flew over right after the hurricane and saw the damage. He seemed to stall some in getting federal help there. Was it his fault? Who knows. He may have had to get permission from the lawmakers in DC before activating anything.

There is a lot that could have been done differently. An investigation clearly needs to be done. There was not anywhere near enough planning for dealing with a situation like this.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score

Actually, it was the job and responsibility of the new federal agency that Bush created after 9/11. FEMA is now under their control and leadership. If you're going to make it about politics...a republican created agency responsible for Homeland Defense didn't do their job. However, rather than point fingers, I think everyone should wait for the investigation and then when we have all the facts we should make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

Dirkadirkastani

Don Juan
Reaction score
As i have said before:

I hear people saying "the government failed, FEMA failed, Bush Failed" well who the hell is the government? By the PEOPLE for the PEOPLE is the government. YOU are the government. So YOU failed, not the government. "The Government" did the best it could to wipe up after the corrupt and inefficiant local and state governments failed. But it's not "The Government" that failed. YOU ARE THE GOVERNMENT, and until people realize that they will alwyas complain about "The Government" I don't B*tch about what Bush does, because I voted for the guy and I know that since I am not out there actively rallying against him and calling votes to get people to vote against he bad things that he's doing I have no right to complain. The media writes all this $hit about political leaders, and I bet you not a single one of them votes.

So if YOU want to change the government DO IT. And I don't mean stand on a g0ddamn corner picketing. I mean DO somethign, call a vote of no confidence, get people interested, be ACTIVE i will gladly join you if you're up to it and I agree with your views. But until then, sitting around and saying "oohhhh the government is ruining us" "oh my god bush started another war (suprise, suprise by the way, i could have told you that was coming)" "I don't believe in this country anymore." Just thank god you live in a democracy, because if you were in China or Cuba you would be SHOT for that. I feel sorry for the people that live there. Personally, I am glad that Bush got rid of that F*cker Hussein, because now those people have the opportunity to be happier. And if you hate the US so much, then leave, no one is forcing you to stay. I hear Canada has lots of room....

And Yes, people with money are more valuable because they are PRODUCTIVE members of society and they are NOT mooching off my money. I WORK for my money, they dont, and I hate people who don't work for their money. And if you ever talk to a homeless person you will find they WANT to live on the street. I know, I have talked to them.

I will probably get a lot of $hit for this post, but those are my views.

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dirkadirkastani
As i have said before:

I hear people saying "the government failed, FEMA failed, Bush Failed" well who the hell is the government? By the PEOPLE for the PEOPLE is the government. YOU are the government. So YOU failed, not the government. "The Government" did the best it could to wipe up after the corrupt and inefficiant local and state governments failed. But it's not "The Government" that failed. YOU ARE THE GOVERNMENT, and until people realize that they will alwyas complain about "The Government" I don't B*tch about what Bush does, because I voted for the guy and I know that since I am not out there actively rallying against him and calling votes to get people to vote against he bad things that he's doing I have no right to complain. The media writes all this $hit about political leaders, and I bet you not a single one of them votes.

So if YOU want to change the government DO IT. And I don't mean stand on a g0ddamn corner picketing. I mean DO somethign, call a vote of no confidence, get people interested, be ACTIVE i will gladly join you if you're up to it and I agree with your views. But until then, sitting around and saying "oohhhh the government is ruining us" "oh my god bush started another war (suprise, suprise by the way, i could have told you that was coming)" "I don't believe in this country anymore." Just thank god you live in a democracy, because if you were in China or Cuba you would be SHOT for that. I feel sorry for the people that live there. Personally, I am glad that Bush got rid of that F*cker Hussein, because now those people have the opportunity to be happier. And if you hate the US so much, then leave, no one is forcing you to stay. I hear Canada has lots of room....

And Yes, people with money are more valuable because they are PRODUCTIVE members of society and they are NOT mooching off my money. I WORK for my money, they dont, and I hate people who don't work for their money. And if you ever talk to a homeless person you will find they WANT to live on the street. I know, I have talked to them.

I will probably get a lot of $hit for this post, but those are my views.
I like this guy. :)

crowes22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Antichrist_Star
I like this guy. :)
Yet you are a Dem I presume? Or are you? If you are then why o God why?

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yet you are a Dem I presume? Or are you? If you are then why o God why?
I think anyone who considers themselves a 'Democrat' or a 'Republican' is a jackass.

I usually waiver between the two, ergo... there are some things I am very 'conservative' about, while they are other things I am very 'liberal' about.

For instance, I understand the real reasons that we went to war and believe that it was necessary. However I think any reasonable person can say that our post-war strategies have been fairly horrid.

On the other hand, I do not see what harm it will do to our country to allow homosexuals to marry. People who claim that this is pissing on religion or morality or say that we have to protect the 'sanctity' of marriage must remember that we are a country that sports a 52% divorce rate. I think heterosexuals have ****ed up that 'sanctity' long before this conversation even came up.

So yeah, that's my 'political' views in a nutshell. :)

AS

sstype

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think anyone who considers themselves a 'Democrat' or a 'Republican' is a jackass.

I usually waiver between the two, ergo... there are some things I am very 'conservative' about, while they are other things I am very 'liberal' about.

For instance, I understand the real reasons that we went to war and believe that it was necessary. However I think any reasonable person can say that our post-war strategies have been fairly horrid.

On the other hand, I do not see what harm it will do to our country to allow homosexuals to marry. People who claim that this is pissing on religion or morality or say that we have to protect the 'sanctity' of marriage must remember that we are a country that sports a 52% divorce rate. I think heterosexuals have ****ed up that 'sanctity' long before this conversation even came up.

So yeah, that's my 'political' views in a nutshell. :)

AS

you could be libertarian, like me. Conservative fiscal policy, Liberal Social policy. Its the BEST of both worlds! And the great thing is, you dont piss off anyone either, because you will have at least one view in common with theirs!

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sstype
you could be libertarian, like me. Conservative fiscal policy, Liberal Social policy. Its the BEST of both worlds! And the great thing is, you dont piss off anyone either, because you will have at least one view in common with theirs!
I appreciate the offer, but any sort of political label tends to make me itch.

Besides... I like pissing people off. :cool:

On a quick side note, you and I live in the same place. :)

AS

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer, but any sort of political label tends to make me itch.

Besides... I like pissing people off. :cool:

On a quick side note, you and I live in the same place. :)

AS
I'm a registered Independent for the same reason. There's too much I don't like about every political party out there to warrant me considering myself part of any of them. The only politician I've ever really liked in my lifetime is Howard Dean. Although I don't agree with everything he says...at least he's honest, you always know where you stand with him and he actually WORKS hard. He was my governor for a long time and he did a great job. He always does what he believes in and he's a tightwad with money. My state already has a REAL senior citizen prescription drug benefit and has for quite a few years. It's also the only state in the country that allows Civil Unions AND the right to carry concealed without a permit. :woo:

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by sstype
Libertarians don't believe in taxes (we need tax money to pay for social programs) and think drugs should be legalized. That's what turns me off to that party. Those are two deal breakers for me.