We Are All Just Junkies Chasing a High

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have come to the realization that we are all just chasing a high. I mean it. We are. We chase that buzz, that feel-good of emotion. We make compromises and allowances of our beliefs and principles just in order to get that buzz again.

No more is it true than with a woman. Why do we act like untrained puppies ****ting all over the rug the minute we find a girl we "like"? The answer is simply that we are whacked on natural endorphins and are "high". Why do we put up with a woman's mind games? Because by interacting with her, at any extent, we get a buzz. Why do we linger over her and discuss what we did wrong with her over and over again? To get just a taste of that buzz.

It isnt our fault really. We are programmed this way. Sexual procreation in its nature must be pleasureable or we would never have any desire to pass on our genes. It is a fact of genetic survival. Our bodies were designed to release powerful pleasure hormones when interacting with the opposite sex. These produce an addictive euphoria. Some can handle this better than others just as some can handle a glass of scotch better than others. Some men can "play it cool", while others regularly turn into wimpy sniviling addicts much in the same way, some cocaine addicts can effectly function in a professional setting and others simply lie around flop houses waiting for a way to get their next score.

I am not talking about sexual addiction specifically here but that is indeed part of it. Nor am I specifically talking about "oneitis" here but that is also part of it. What I am referring to is how the pursuit of the opposite sex turns us, at times, into people that we just normally arent. How an otherwise confident, independant, outgoing, successful man can turn into a a whieny clingy shell of himself over the pursuit of a woman.

Everyone is different in this regard. Everyone has a different breaking point. Some have their head up their ass simply talking to a woman, some on the first date, others after a few dates, others become "whipped" once they get into a long term relationship. Some seemingly never do. Some

While their are strategies and tactics to avoid the buzz, to avoid fixating on it, there is a certain amount of it we cannot control. We may know all the games and all moves to make, however once we get that buzz we are simply powerless.

Many will argue that it is simply a lack of self-confidence or a lacking many other things that compose what is called " good inner game". I contend different that while that plays a large part for many people, I am willing to postulate that there is a certain ingrained biological response to the buzz that hits each individual differently.

Now I will save the reader the lecture on biochemistries, receptors, affinities, and genetic variation but much the same way that some have darker hair or skin than another, we all have differnt amounts of endorphin released and effectively stimulate the mind in response to an identical situation. Simply put, the buzz in response to one situation varies from person to person based on genetics.

The way we handle this buzz, granted, is often times based on expericene. Being able to keep your head clear during this buzz is difficult. Being able to keep your head clear when the buzz wears off and withdrawl sets in is even tougher. It is during this withdrawal time that we often "mess up" with a woman by becoming to clingy or available. If you think about it, rarely do we read of tales of men messing up on a date when all is well. Usually men mess up in the in-between days when they start craving that buzz again. Or worse yet when it seems threatened that the source of their buzz is being taken away (ietwo guys physically fighting over a woman).

Our only savior, our only weapon, our redemption is expericence. Experience allows us to keep our head during the rush. It allows us to realize that if we wait out the pangs of withdrawal often times our source of the buzz isnt that far away. It allows us to realize that if the source of our buzz goes away and that we can find another source as the source isnt that unique because after all all we are are junkies chasing a high.

tihash

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree with your general assessment, esp. in light of my recent breakup. After a little time had passed, I could look back and realize I need to break up with her many months ago, as she was disrespecting me, etc. Why did I not? I was addicted.

Just as you can rationally explain to a crackhead why he should no longer use crack, he will continue to do so until he hits rock bottom in most cases.

But is there not a way to harness this "high" for our own purposes? What I mean is, do women not go through the same high (they do), and if so, to what extent can we replicate what is necessary to create and maintain the high? I guess the easy answer is c+F, being alpha, etc etc

And on the flip side, just as you point out some men can be totally addicted to cocaine or rx drugs or whatever and still go to work in a high-powered job as a physician or live radio host (Rush Limbaugh) or whatever, how can we learn to not let the high from a woman affect us so deeply as to ignore any warning signs if and when they come??

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fvck yeah, damn did I ever score some good sh!t last night. I have learned to be a functional vagina addict, though, and not let it fvck up my life.

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That is the thing about a drug. You always come down. Relationships are easy when you are getting that buzz. You know when she wants to see you and you want to see her and you are having fun together. That is easy. It may be destructive to other aspects of your life ie you arent focusing on work, you arent sleeping, using other drugs, etc) but you dont care man, hell you feel good.

I think most people lose a relationship simply because they cannot handle the withdrawl from the drug. They want that buzz so bad they do whatever they can to get it. There are ways to perpetuate the buzz sure and there are ways to pracitce some self control.

My concern is with the guy who just cant control the withdrawal. This is where the belly crawling starts. This where you go places you arent proud of. This is where the groveling and begging and pleading happen. Hell the Temptations sold a million copies of Aint Too Proud to Beg. The Four Season capitalized on the regret afterward with Walk Like A Man. I think, though, The Eagles summed it up best with the line "A woman cant take you anyplace, you dont already know how to go".

There is so much truth in that line. The buzz takes you places. You cant control it. She didnt have anything to do with. She simply administered the drug and you reacted exactly how your genetic make up tells you to.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello Meathead,
Yes your observations are similar to mine....The DJ lifestyle can almost be seen as Limerancistic,a newish Buzz Word for me which I take to mean just chasing those first euphoric months of a relationship it is generally commented on in a scathing way but I don't know,like all good philosophies it closes upon itself,who said you cant just eat the icing on the cake,how bloody stupid of course you can....but you pay a price...As Kipling puts it..."The more you have known of the others,the less will you settle for one...."

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello Meathead,
Yes your observations are similar to mine....The DJ lifestyle can almost be seen as Limerancistic,a newish Buzz Word for me which I take to mean just chasing those first euphoric months of a relationship it is generally commented on in a scathing way but I don't know,like all good philosophies it closes upon itself,who said you cant just eat the icing on the cake,how bloody stupid of course you can....but you pay a price...As Kipling puts it..."The more you have known of the others,the less will you settle for one...."

Diamondhead

Reaction score
Hey,

I've visited many message boards on various different topics and I just wanted to say that was one of the best posts I have ever read.

Great points to think about. I can totally relate.

Reaction score
This is true... having strong feelings for a girl (and those feelings being reciprocated) is the same feeling as taking a hit of ecstasy. But then you crash and want to shoot yourself.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're actually not too far from the mark here. There is a definite glandualr hormonal - endorphin response our bodies react to in specific environments. The easy example is the Fight or Flight, adrenaline reaction when we are in specific conditions that prompt the response of our adrenal glands dumping a complex chemical ****tail into our bloodstream to make us hyper-alert and hyper-reactive.

There are similar glandular reactions when we're in a potential breeding condition. Environmental cues prompt chemical arousal and the resulting endorphin-dopamine feelings further prompt more hormonal reactivity. In fact the compound signatures of the hormone-to-dopamine reaction produced naturally in sexual arousal situations is strikingly similar to the chemical make up of heroin and opiates. These are also evident in situations involving feelings of jealousy and even suspicion of betrayal (infidelity).

potato

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with the drug analogy of women and sex. I regularly flirt with many women just for that little thrill that comes along with it. And it becomes addictive.

With women who I have relationships with it sometimes feels as if there is a vessel within my body that fills up when I feel love and loved - with certain women causing it to fill to the point of feeling as if I'm going to literally explode - with happiness.

Unlike drugs, when the vessel is full, it can sustain me for days, and when bulging to the seems, can sustain me in an almost dreamlike state. Whenever we spend too much time apart the vessel begins to contract causing a "missing" sensation and a longing to refill the vessel.

Ever so often, coinsiding with the permanent separation the vessel will shrink and shrivel up causing a great deal of pain. But I do it again and again because the thrill is always greater and far longer lasting than the pain of withdrawl at the end. And, if everything goes right, there are other women about to cushion the fall, to fill it back up.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
from someone who is a recovering cocaine/crack addict (almost 2 years now) you cannot compare drugs with women.

Human relationships are a natural part of life. we were put here to reproduce.

When I was using, I had an obsession that would make me do things I wouldn't dare even dream of doing when I was clean, be around people I wouldn't think twice around hanging around, all in the persuit of this damn white rock. NOTHING else mattered.

I think what alot of men are c hasing is validation from the opposite sex. there is a post in the DJ Bible that talks about this in more detail. it's not the SEX that is that important, it really isn't, for alot of guys, me for a long time, I just wanted to know that girl liked me.

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you can, actually. Maybe not in the sense of "in the moment" addiction... but psychologically, yeah.

Think of the things men do that they'd either avoid or lessen doing if they weren't hoping to impress/be successful with women:

shave
shower
work excessively
spend a ton on a car/apartment/watch/shoes/whatever
spend a ton on DATES
go to the gym
go to clubs
spend all night on dating sites, or "advice" sites like this one
buy rogaine/boner pills

The list could go on, surely.

Reaction score
Women are worse than drugs. If I had my drug of choice at CVS, I would be happy without women.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
When I was using, I had an obsession that would make me do things I wouldn't dare even dream of doing when I was clean, be around people I wouldn't think twice around hanging around, all in the persuit of this damn white rock. NOTHING else mattered.

I'm not saying it's the same thing, and I respect what you've been through, but after I go long enough without getting laid, I start doing things (and women) that I would not be doing if I were in my right mind. No one should be banging cheating married women they meet off adultfriendfinder, but when I'm 'craving a fix' that seems like a good idea. For the most part, everyone on that web site is a slave to their sex addiction.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
from someone who is a recovering cocaine/crack addict (almost 2 years now) you cannot compare drugs with women.
I don't entirely disagree with you, and as for it being an "addiction" in a physical sense, obviously the intensity and response from a chemically induced 'high' is in another league. However the bio-mechanics are still similar in that the same way you get high on coke, marijuana, alcohol, etc. still function not because of the drug but how your body responds to it. When you drink coffee it's not the caffeine that ramps you up it's the caffeine's stimulus of your adrenal gland that dumps a marginal amount of adrenalin into your bloodstream. Similarly it's the endorphin receptors and/or the blocking of pain stimuli in your nervous system that causes a 'high'. Now this varies depending on the drug of course, but it's your body's response to the chemical agent that produces the sensation, emotion, physical response, etc. and it's absence after being conditioned it also causes a physical response.

Now think about how the above applies to "naturally occurring" events and how our circumstance are affected by our chemistry. I would argue that ONEitis AFCs who develop a sense of being suspiciousness, or get off on jealousy after a break up are seeking to restimulate the sensations they originally had when they initially hooked up with their ONEitis.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
anyone comparing the two either has never had a date or ever been addicted to a drug. there is no comparison. trust me.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haven't you ever fvcked some b!tch and regretted it, backbreaker? I saw some comedian who said that before he went home with another club slvt, he was going to go whack off in the bathroom first, because after that it would seem like a stupid idea. Being compelled by horniness to the point of doing something stupid that you regret seems like addiction to me.