Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Was just thinking of a weird Theory...

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was wondering with medical advancement these days, if they ever came across something that cured cells dying...and made people live theoretically forever. IT doesnt even have to be immortality, just huge medical advancements that people live to 300 or something stupid... Would this technology even be allowed out? This would create major issues , with over population...rich people wanting to get their hands on it....Im no biologist or scientist by any stretch, so i may be missing some major arguments why this could never happen, this is just an interesting theory i thought of, if they already found a cure and it wasnt allowed out:eek:

Random rant, any comments would be nice

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if we made ourselves live forever, we would just keep reproducing until the world had about 11 billion people, and then most people would start using birth control (reliable kinds, probably, like surgery). Even in those circumstances, we couldn't cut off reproduction entirely because lots of people would continue to die from unnatural causes like accidents, murders, and wars

Nip/Tuck

Banned
Reaction score
Read Brave New World, 1984 and The Island. Your concept has been around for a while.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yah ive seen the island, that was a bit different, they were growing replacement clones, for vital organs that failed...not curing people dying all together..

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well actually I read an interesting artice about scientists being able to prolong cells lifetime by an huge ammount. but they only tested it in yeast as of yet , but it succeeded and therefore with further scientific reasearch it is highly likly they will be able to create the same effect into humans and animals.

But it will take a loooong time before they will be able to perfect it so that no human disformeties , cellular brakedown or other nasty things will happen with the cells prolonged life.But they might also not be able to perfect it.
They were thinking that taking this formula or pill would prolonging the ageing by up to 200-300 years, so that humans will be able to live that long.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If they did, how much would you pay for it?

If and when they did do you think it would be made public or kept secret?

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
genetic eng. of humans, is only a matter of time....
I'm up for anything that can make a better.

It's cloning that i have a problem with.

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Morphiex said:
well actually I read an interesting artice about scientists being able to prolong cells lifetime by an huge ammount. but they only tested it in yeast as of yet , but it succeeded and therefore with further scientific reasearch it is highly likly they will be able to create the same effect into humans and animals.

But it will take a loooong time before they will be able to perfect it so that no human disformeties , cellular brakedown or other nasty things will happen with the cells prolonged life.But they might also not be able to perfect it.
They were thinking that taking this formula or pill would prolonging the ageing by up to 200-300 years, so that humans will be able to live that long.
I've got to ask you; your whole post is horribly misspelled, so was it an accident that you used "an" before "huge" (which is gramatically correct, but using "an" before a hard "H" sound is one of those rules almost no one uses correctly today, except for hard-core grammarphiles), or was this just an happy accident?

Supremo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude this ****'s already around. I guarantee it. There's teleporting, telekinesis, laser-beam guns, AI robots...

You just don't hear about it.

IMO this would suck though, only people who are really smart would ever be allowed to use this technology.

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Forms said:
I've got to ask you; your whole post is horribly misspelled, so was it an accident that you used "an" before "huge" (which is gramatically correct, but using "an" before a hard "H" sound is one of those rules almost no one uses correctly today, except for hard-core grammarphiles), or was this just an happy accident?
wow wonder how it is to have so little happening in my life , that i would be annoyed by someones gramatical errors on the net.

ever thought of the possibility that english isent my first language ? , ever think that there are other people then americans or brittish people here ?
so what if i make some gramatical erros ? does it fu1ck your life up in any way ?
dude get a life....

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
I was wondering with medical advancement these days, if they ever came across something that cured cells dying...
That actually does exist. It's called cancer.

Anyway, there is a scientific challenge, somewhere, I think for $2 or $5 million, to spur on research to accomplish human immorality. As how the thinking goes, with all the advances of medicine to treat all those damn diseases, we could, hypothetically, repeatedly cure diseases as they pop up. Nano-robots could be invented to go around in our bodies and fix our ailments, bionic organs could be developed, and thereby we live for many hundreds of years. (In fact, on www.sciencedaily.com you can read how experiments on rabbits have shown bionic eyes to be safe. Someday, we may be able to surf the web, have X-ray vision, and so forth, from the comfort of a contact lense.)

But all be told, I don't buy it. Hope springs eternal. While conceivably the human lifespan might have some life left in it to be stretched further, I believe we have more or less about reached our maximum, there's that thing called aging and death, two things which, while we may run and hide, are inescapable.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Geez you guys obviously haven't been keeping up with the news lately:

Doctors Find New Way To Prolong Meaningless Existence

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28913

Peretz-Worthington, head of the Cornell team. "Once the substance wins FDA approval and is made available to the general public, the hellish emptiness of our spiritually blank lives should be that much more inescapable."

--------

Man Dies After Long And Painful Battle With Life

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28019

"He might have tried some Eastern techniques or the more exotic pharmacological approaches, but the wasting ravages of life had already done their damage," said son Daniel Carruthers, 49, who with his three disappointing children, failed marriage, and exorbitant alimony payments, is already in the advanced stages of the syndrome that claimed his father's life.

-------

It's important we understand death is inevitable, and teach our children. Like this for example:

Ant Farm Teaches Children About Toil, Death

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28444

"The ants work very, very hard," said Youngstown, OH, 9-year-old Dylan Munns, who will someday work in the same grim Hormel meat-packing plant where his father now toils, as his father did before him. "They dig tunnels and carry heavy stuff all day long. Then they do it all over again the next day."

Penn State entomologist Dr. Gerald Dudek. "At some point, the Playscovery Cove ants become cognizant that their hierarchical structure has been stripped away, rendering their already near-meaningless existence totally futile. There seems to be a breaking point at about the 22-day mark when the dejected ants begin to die off en masse."

---

Of course, there's always The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

http://www.vhemt.org/

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
I was wondering with medical advancement these days, if they ever came across something that cured cells dying...and made people live theoretically forever. IT doesnt even have to be immortality, just huge medical advancements that people live to 300 or something stupid... Would this technology even be allowed out? This would create major issues , with over population...rich people wanting to get their hands on it....Im no biologist or scientist by any stretch, so i may be missing some major arguments why this could never happen, this is just an interesting theory i thought of, if they already found a cure and it wasnt allowed out:eek:

Random rant, any comments would be nice

making the body in general go on forever is very feasible. with stem cell research they will be able take say your heart cells, and grow you a new heart that is identical to the one you have now (but even healthier) and then replace your heart wiht one that your body accepts no problem.

so they could just keep replacing all the parts for a long time.

the BIG problem though is that they can't replace your brain - which is after all who you are. sure, they could grow a new brain that is identical genetically to the one you have, but it wouldn't have YOU in it. only the brain you currently have has all the 'data' about who you are, your experiences, etc.

so even if they could replace every part in your body indefnitely, eventually you'd have a brain anuerysm or stroke or whatever. at some point youre brain would die.

and they aren't anywhere near close to figuring out how they could transfer your neural network onto a cloned brain for instance.

and even if they did, technically the new you would just be a brain that had been programed with a neural network that was identical to the old you. so the new brain would think and act just like you, and in that sense you'd still be alive, but the original you would actually have died.

anyway, i think we'll get the average age of death up to about a 100 or so (right now its about 75). but beyond that i think its going to be tough.

most of us will die before we are 100.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
brett012 said:
I heard that by the end of a teenager's lifetime there will be enough technology to enable them to live 200 years. Anyone know about this and have any more info?

right now 120 seems to be the limit. your body keeps creating new cells - they say every cell in your body is replaced every 7 years or something.

but cells can only be reproduced so many times. 120 years old seems to be the max.

science, as amazing as it is, is very crude right now. the human body is a holistic thing - which means that everything affects everything else inside it.

right now the best we can do is focus in on individual problems. try to cure cancer, etc.

but even if you cure cancer, sure, lots of people who would have died at 70 won't die at 70 from cancer. but they will die at 80 from a heart attack. figure out how to cure heart attacks and people will die at 85 from a stroke. figure otu how to prevent strokes and people will die from something else.

until someone figures out how to manipulate genes - to actually reverse aging even, that people might actually live longer than 120.

i think the solution will come from some kind of gene splicing. so right now if i cut your finger off you don't grow a new finger. but if i could splice your genes with those of a reptile, then you might have the ability to regrow your finger.