Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Want more lean, and less bulk?

PrinceKong

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go for a run. Running is the best form of exercise can do, but is an activity a lot of weight lifters ignore. If you're an actual competitor for weight lifting, this does not concern you, but if you want to actually SHOW that you have muscle under all that cushion, continuing to lift is not your best bet. You gotta put on those running shoes, and go for a jog. You will only lose some muscle if you discontinue weight lifting while you run.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post, but I disagree. Running teaches your body how to use less energy to do more work. Which translates to burning less fat to run farther. However, lifting, builds muscles, with continually consume energy. Therefore, weight-training would actually burn more fat than any other exercise.

I do however agree to the point that cardio is needed. But it must be intense, like sprinting, or jumping rope at high intensity. I usually do the latter, 6, 5 minute rounds of jumping rope as fast and as technical as I can.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Low intensity running is ****. It's bad for your knees and it eats up your muscle mass. Unless you're training for a marathon, I see no reason to do it. And I see no reason to train for a marathon.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Low intensity running is ****. It's bad for your knees and it eats up your muscle mass. Unless you're training for a marathon, I see no reason to do it. And I see no reason to train for a marathon.
some people like to get to 5% bf and look like sticks :D

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PrinceKong said:
Go for a run. Running is the best form of exercise can do, but is an activity a lot of weight lifters ignore. If you're an actual competitor for weight lifting, this does not concern you, but if you want to actually SHOW that you have muscle under all that cushion, continuing to lift is not your best bet. You gotta put on those running shoes, and go for a jog. You will only lose some muscle if you discontinue weight lifting while you run.
i know you mean well but this is bad advice.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think he means Aerobic exercise.. Running is a form of it, but there's plenty of other ways to get your heart rate up for a sustained period that are far healthier than distance running.

Elliptical machines are better, sprinting(under 100m), swimming, cycling, etc.

On the other hand, if you like running then by all means go ahead.

And there's no reason to stop lifting when you incorporate a cardio schedule...

AKA FLEX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
some people like to get to 5% bf and look like sticks :D
Marathon runners have more than 5% bodyfat. Ever heard of the "runner's pouch." That's where their energy comes from during long runs. Marathon training is definitely NOT the way to go if you want a hard, fit beach body.

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Olympic weightlifters on average have only 5% body fat and I wouldn't exactly say they look like sticks. If you look at prize title fighters like Floyd Mayweather you will see that they have very defined bodies. Boxing or Boxercise is a great way to cut up and get strong at the same time. I think spinning is very good also. If you are looking at a workout which will give you great definition and a chance to train in a roomful of women, I would give Bodypump a try. :cool: :p :crazy:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't forget Yoga. I tried Yoga once and the room was full of hot half-naked women.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
020204 said:
Olympic weightlifters on average have only 5% body fat and I wouldn't exactly say they look like sticks. If you look at prize title fighters like Floyd Mayweather you will see that they have very defined bodies. Boxing or Boxercise is a great way to cut up and get strong at the same time. I think spinning is very good also. If you are looking at a workout which will give you great definition and a chance to train in a roomful of women, I would give Bodypump a try. :cool: :p :crazy:
olympic weightlifting has nothing to do with running :p
here's hossein at 103% bf. i think he offsets your average

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I never said it had anything to do with running. It is an activity which burns a **** load of calories and isn't too bad at preserving lean muscle. As for the weightlifter you are talking about I was not referring to him, I was simply stating that what is common in weightlifting.:cool: If you look at the various weight divisions in weightlifting this is the case. I am also quoting that from an article in Men's Health and it also said they also can burn as many calories in a day as a marathon runner.

PrinceKong

Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
Good post, but I disagree. Running teaches your body how to use less energy to do more work. Which translates to burning less fat to run farther. However, lifting, builds muscles, with continually consume energy. Therefore, weight-training would actually burn more fat than any other exercise.

I do however agree to the point that cardio is needed. But it must be intense, like sprinting, or jumping rope at high intensity. I usually do the latter, 6, 5 minute rounds of jumping rope as fast and as technical as I can.
I should have remembered to prefer sprints over distant running. Sprinters are very cut and muscular, and they do sprints and weightlift. Look at all the sprinters that compete today, nobody can say they're scrawny. I have a friend who was an experienced body builder, and we both agreed that you have to do some sprints and healthy eating to even achieve a good six pack. He isquite the big guy now, but he was super cut in High School. He said he only achieved that body because he joined track/field.

When i was in football off-season, all we did was lift for a couple of months, we were a small team compared to our district. I noticed i got bigger, but i also noticed i got a little chubbier also. Instead of a six pack, i was stuck with a four pack for a while. When I gained more than 100 on all my maxes (Bench, Incline, Squat, and Power Clean), I started eating less meat, and hit that track again. Within a month, I was even more cut than before off-season.

I only speak of experiences, so sorry if my experiences tell me wrong concepts.

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Marathon runners are often very srawny in their appearance and have very low body weights, you just have to look at the Kenyans and other marathon runners of a high standard. This is where bodyfat testing is very questionable. It is very unlikely that marathon runners would be carrying more bodyfat than a bodybuilder or a sprinter. You only have to look at the amount of energy they burn up in a day. It is about optical illusion. I can understand that a sprinter has a good balance between having a good amount of muscle and definition at the same time. Bodybuilders are usually either in contest shape which can be anywhere from 3% -5% body fat and in offseason condition which is very often double or triple that. Triathathletes, MMA fighters, boxers also display impressive definition amongst many other types of athletes. There are many different ways to achieve an impressive body, bodybuilding training is not the only way.:cool: :up: :crackup: :cheer:

Adam B

Don Juan
Reaction score
Too much, hard, lactate inducing, anaerobic exercise is horrible for your body. So, don't listen to these "interval, sprint training" morons. Interval training is only useful if you're training for a race and even then it's only done for 12-16 weeks out of the year at different times. If you're swimming though, this is a different story, because in the water, lactate can be cleared quite quickly.

The sweet spot for fat burning is reaching a high end aerobic state. So, not easy jogging, but not so hard you have to stop. Sprint training isn't bad for you, when it's completely alactic though. That means taking full recovery between sprints and not rigging it and dying during the workout. So for what you guys are doing, I would suggest 30 minutes of decently hard running and maybe one or two days of alactic sprint training to break up the monotony.

yep

Don Juan
Reaction score
Easy running is ok but you want to eat right and train hard or else ur just screwing yourself over.