Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Vocal tonality & inflection is MASSIVELY telling

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Talking with a positive, friendly tonality and a lot of emotional inflection is SOOOOOO massively important. SOOOO important. To most guys, it's invisible. Or they think that their vocals are already good. I wouldn't be so sure...

Tonight I left a girl a message on her phone. The night before, I'd told her to call me to let me know when she was leaving her house to come meet me. Well, she flaked on me tonight. I called her, but I got her voicemail. I left a message saying basically, "Hey, HB, this is Chance. I'm at the club right now, so what's up? .....Call me when you get this. Okay? Bye."

Her voice-mail service allowed for a neat feature. It lets the caller playback his/her phone call before submitting it, and if need be, delete it and leave another message in its place.

I thought I sounded pretty cool, laidback, and detached from the outcome when I was talking.

When I played my message back, I sounded disappointed and slightly depressed, with hints of anger and bitterness.

I had NO ****ING IDEA I sounded like that until I played it back. I *thought* that I had done a good job controlling my state. I didn't *feel* very depressed or let down. But I felt it a little bit. I was a **little** angry and bitter that she didn't show up. NOT MUCH. I thought that I had disguised it well. WRONG. That *little bit* of negative emotion permeated my whole message. It made my whole message sound depressing and uncool.

For the longest time I would get blown out of sets and not know why. And for the longest time, regular, everyday social interactions I had with people were erratic.

This was despite me looking like a decently cool, normal guy. Despite me having good bodylanguage. But I was so unaware of my voice that I *never* considered that it could be an issue.

After-all, when I talked into my recorder to journal my thoughts, I always sounded cool. Well, that's because I knew I was talking into a recorder, so I was more aware of how I sounded. Also, when I journal my thoughts vocally with a recorder, I often get really excited about what I'm talking about. Like if I'm talking into the recorder about how I discovered some new PU breakthrough or about a successful FR, I SOUND COOL.

But in my daily interactions with people, I have not been conscious of my voice hardly AT ALL. Slight negative states creep through. I've had a tendency of talking with a very low range of vocal inflection and I usually end sentences in a "controlled", low manner, with little to no "friendly pitch".

That's as best as I can describe it as I don't know the exact mechanics of the voice. But my normal, everyday speaking has always been "controlled." That's as best as I can describe it. Even if I'm happy or in a good mood, that just means that I've gone to Level 2 or Level 3 of "controlled voice."

Whereas the coolest guys I know speak with a ****load of inflection and go ALL OVER THE MAP with it. Imagine inflection and tonality like a vertical bar. I've mostly stayed toward the lower end of the bar, and sometimes I go a little above my "default" mark, or a little below it. Whereas the cool guys I know have a "default" marker a little above the middle of the bar and, when expressing themselves, go ALL OVER the bar.

I've always heard TD harp on this, but I thought, "Well, TD sounds effiminate. I can see why he has trouble with his voice. This isn't a big problem for me since I've got a deep, rich voice."

A LOT OF GOOD that 'deep, rich' voice does if it CAN'T MOVE and it can't EXPRESS ITSELF.

I have an idea, from talking to some guys who are trying to be PUAs, that this can be a majorly handicapping issue for them, as it was for me. They'll go into set with a built body, cool clothes, great body language, a good headspace, field-tested material and then just utterly bomb out. Then, the inner monologue activates:

"Maybe I'm not as goodlooking as I thought. Maybe these clothes suck. The guy who invented this routine is lying. Were my shoulders tense? ****"

What's REALLY going on?

For most people, our voices are such an integrated part of us that RARELY do we pay attention to it. WE THINK we sound cool when we're talking since it's a part of us and it's on autopilot. It can't possibly be bad if we're "being ourselves." Wrong. "Ourselves" get trapped in what is most familiar to us. So we don't make the effort to pay attention to our voices, because it seems so miniscule in comparison to our looks, clothes, bodylanguage, and what we actually say.

In a sense, it's almost like a guy's voice becomes INVISIBLE to him unless he's ALREADY insecure about how it sounds. If he's not aware that he sounds boring, depressing, or uncool, then it's not even ON THE ****ING RADAR for him. Thus, guys conclude all this fallacious **** when they get blown out when their voice was the culprit all along, stealing good vibes and ***** away like a theif in the night.

I've got just tons and tons of stories I could tell about how my voice has ****ed over my social interactions without me knowing it.

I don't have as many good ones, but the ones I do have stand out.

The first kiss I ever got, I think, was because of a fluke in my vocal tonality and projection.

A girl I hadn't talked to in a long time called me up. She MEANT to call her boyfriend, whose name is similar to mine. So when looking at her address book in her cell phone, she must have gone down too far.

When I picked up the phone, she sounded a little confused, and I was confused as well. I figured she was "shy." She wasn't really all THAT shy, she was just confused. Anyways, it was the weekend, so I figured she wanted to hang out with me.

I was so flattered that she called and expressed such a big "IOI" to me that my state changed to a super-positive one. My voice sounded super-positive and was full of inflection. I sounded HAPPY. Friendly. Like the all the cool guys I know.

So I invite her out. She accepts. Why? The positivity and friendliness in my voice was INFECTIOUS. Most people walk around in a ****ing haze. When somebody comes from a positive reality, people want IN. Because a truly positive, friendly, uplifting, reality is so RARE.

And the primary way that we convey our reality is the VOICE.

So I took this girl to the movies, stayed in my super-positive reality, created routines and SS talk on the fly (since I felt like I had this in the bag so much), and I ended up making out with her and feeling up her ***** in the movie theater...

AND THIS GIRL MEANT TO CALL HER BOYFRIEND. LOL!

In all the good seductions I can remember, my voice was money, because my inner reality was money. But I do think that it works both ways. Physiology affects the state of our reality. Tony Robbins says so. So we CAN consciously speak with more inflection, more emotion, more positivity and have it result in a change in our own state and in the states of others. Try it for a while-- I am. I'll report back in a few days if I notice big changes in how my interactions go. Sound ****ing happy to hear from people. If you order food, talk in a ****ing playful, cool, inflective way. Try imitating the way COOL guys who get girls talk.

If anybody else has reading material or exercises I can do, I'm ears.

-Chance

Trag

Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent advice!
I started out reading your post with my inner monologue, then decided to read it with my outer monologue and vary my inflection as much as possible. I found that by the end of your post, I was relatively comfortable with my voice. Starting out and paying attention, I realized that I probably sounded very boring, so my new exercize shall be to read every post outloud and practice varying my pitch from one extreme to the other(maybe I should record it as well). I think this will help me a great deal.

Thank you,
Trag

Jvesti

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is not something that should be in tips at all.

Your "voice tonality" in these contexts will change once you KNOW more than one women in your life, and aren't in a girl famine, and have more of a purpose in your life. As you won't care and come from a position of power when dealing with the situation.

You're lifestyle is what needs changing and you know it.

You're looking into this wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much again when it need not be that way.

You wanna fake things, go to acting class I'm sure they have it at your university but guess what, even the best actors can't f*ck around with the emotions of sex/love for too long. They are incredibly powerful and nature has a way of forcing the truth out of a person and showing their true current place (unless ur a sociopath). To top this off evolution has made women extremely perceptive to subleties of a man's behavior.

Start posting tips when you get more experience and a real track record Dev, seriousely man. You know that particular landmark youre trying to get at, i wouldn't be trying to give advice until you get to that. Sorry to be harsh but this is very very counterproductive.

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jim, I respect you, but I disagree. I believe this will help guys; that's why its in tips--

If you disagree with what I'm saying, then attack my post and not me. Anybody who wants to know my "track record" can read my progress journal. I'm not keeping anything a secret.

The main reason I wrote this was to get it out FOR ME. It's called learning from experience, man, and I wouldn't post something unless I learned it directly from my life. Just because I'm not a mackdaddy pimp yet does not invalidate everything I say, especially when its in regards to something as broad as "voice."

Originally posted by Jvesti

Your "voice tonality" in these contexts will change once you KNOW more than one women in your life, and aren't in a girl famine, and have more of a purpose in your life. As you won't care and come from a position of power when dealing with the situation.
OOokay.... first off I'm actively talking to/trying to set up things with around 4 girls right now messaging more on myspace, and going to clubs to pick up. I also know from past experience with women that I can attract them, so I'm not worried about being able to only get ONE.

I know a cool friend and he has the most awesome, friendly, positive, hypnotizing voice. Guess what? He has that same voice regardless of whether or not he's in a "girl famine", and he's very skinny and has AFC beliefs about the world. His lifestyle is the same as mine.

Lifestyle doesn't dictate how your voice sounds; YOU DO. Habits can be broken by catching yourself in them and correcting them. Period. This has nothing to do with "acting."

I agree that going to gym and sarging multiple girls is a GREAT thing to do, but anyone who does those things and expects his voice to sound a lot cooler as a result is mindfvcking himself. Also, how do you even expect a guy with an uncool voice to get the women he needs so that he no longer comes from a place of scarcity-- when his voice is what's stopping him from getting them in the first place :confused: ? Most people are blissfully unaware of how they sound to other people on a daily basis. Increasing your self-esteem and confidence may help you to sound more confident and assertive, but there's no evidence that it'll make you become a more dynamic or interesting speaker when you've previously bored people or put them in bad moods with your voice.

Jim, look at another example--

A guy we both know (I'll tell you on AIM) did mediocre with girls UNTIL he got cooler clothes.

His mindset was the same as before. Nothing changed about him but his clothes. For a long time, he didn't even know that his clothes were getting him negative reactions until his wings started telling him.

Nothing internally changed in him. He just changed his clothes. Instantly, he started getting more success with women.

You tell me that I overcomplicate things, but fact is that YOU are overcomplicating things. Guys can be having more success with women right now by consciously working on their voices.

The working out and lifestyle stuff is great and all, but it's not a pre-requisite to sounding cool.

We can condition our minds to stay in an emotional state by talking in an emotional way. It works both ways.

Physiology affects our internal states as much as internal states affect physiology. Don't take my word for it; listen to Tony Robbins.

Last edited:

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Trag
Excellent advice!
I started out reading your post with my inner monologue, then decided to read it with my outer monologue and vary my inflection as much as possible. I found that by the end of your post, I was relatively comfortable with my voice. Starting out and paying attention, I realized that I probably sounded very boring, so my new exercize shall be to read every post outloud and practice varying my pitch from one extreme to the other(maybe I should record it as well). I think this will help me a great deal.

Thank you,
Trag
That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. I also posted this on fastseduction.com and the guys there are suggesting taking a recorder out into the field, which sounds like a great idea as long as it doesn't look too obvious.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Working on your voice is like working your muscle: The more you practice, the better you sound. There's nothing fake about it. I put this to use after Duke IMed me about it, and my conversations went about 2 times better, despite me saying the same crap as I always do. I am a laid back, social, happy guy, but I didn't really sound that much like it from my voice, so you can argue that I now am MORE real than I was before.

Last edited:

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an interesting reply I got from Hollywood Mack over on mASF:

"You haven't mentioned the flip-side of this issue.

A woman's vocal tonality is also massively telling. I unconsciously use this to gauge state, etc., but for me, it's more about using it to qualify women. I'm very aurally-focused, so a woman's voice must be sexy to me. Many women -- especially young American women -- speak almost in a monotone. This is indicative to me that they are not excited by life, excited by the novelty of human interaction and the wonderful unknown into which communication with another penetrates.

So along with all the other things on my list, a beautiful voice, USED beautifully to express the maximum range of emotion, is key. I am looking for vibrant women with healthy bodies, minds, and spirits. Vocal tonality is a great way to determine what her attitude toward communication is:

Is she guarded and fearful (speaking with little variation in tone so as to minimize any damage to her -- "what if someone judges me for what I say?") or sharing her experiences with love (using the full range of emotive speaking openly and without fear of judgement)?

HollywoodMack"

john_1234

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
good post! reminded me of an experience i had. I called a girl for the first time and tape recorded my voice. i was surprised because i sounded like ****. i evaluated my voice and came up with these pointers to improve:
*don't be so quick to respond to her questions. pause a sec. or two then respond. don't come across as if overly eager to respond and chat
*slow down. don't talk too fast! talk as if you'll earn $5.00 for each second you're on the phone.
*don't chuckle or laugh after you say some things.