Video games and being sociable

Are video games making people less sociable?

• Yes

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Kinda

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Yes and no...

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Not really

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

Nivek

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ScrewIt

I highly agree with you shark. staying home all the time (even if you dont play games) can truly cripple your people skills and personal growth....as you isolate yourself from the real world. I've seen this happen to my friend. Truth is alot of these guys that hide in their virtual world actually lack confidence and suffer from low self esteem, that is why they highly refuse to change their lifestyle around....but the main reason they have low confidence and low self esteem is BECAUSE they hide at home all the time....a double edged sword.

Makes me wonder what nerds/geeks would do next if computers & video games vanished from the face of the earth.... [/B]
that is so true. its not the video games that are the problem because i'm sure like the first replyer said, take those same people and take away video games and they probably will still be anti-social.

I however have personally saw the growth in me socially once i stopped playing video games. i used to be one of those kids that play a lot of video games, like right when i get home from school and during the weekends. not only has this destroyed my eyesight but it has hindered me in a big way socially. by staying inside and not interacting with other people you lose your ties with the outside world, which causes you to lose your ability to be social. hence why its hard for those people to leave video games because their social skills are so crippled. they try to be social but just come out very awkward so back to the video games they go. i personally have cut out video games totally from my life recently and i am happy to say i doubt i'll return, and if i do never with the same enthusiasm i once had. the only thing i occasionally "play" on my computer is online poker which i should stop playing too heh.

also with this edited in

reading some of the replies, video games can also be social, if you playing a game with a group of friends such as halo or whatnot but the games i used to play were single player or online games such as starcraft,counterstrike and warcraft and recently world of warcraft (which in my opionion is the worst type of game out there, because online rpg's like those are time sinks PERIOD.) since i played those games by myself i didn't have much change to interact with people and the occasional time i would play one of those games with my friends it would be online so its still not in a social environement (but this was back in middle school).

so in conclusion games that can be played in a group = ok from time to time but i would suggest to stay away from MMORPGS cause they seriously cripple your social skills

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I highly agree with you shark. staying home all the time (even if you dont play games) can truly cripple your people skills and personal growth....as you isolate yourself from the real world. I've seen this happen to my friend. Truth is alot of these guys that hide in their virtual world actually lack confidence and suffer from low self esteem, that is why they highly refuse to change their lifestyle around....but the main reason they have low confidence and low self esteem is BECAUSE they hide at home all the time....a double edged sword.

Makes me wonder what nerds/geeks would do next if computers & video games vanished from the face of the earth....
Haha. They would go on a strike to bring back the computers and video games :woo: .....oh wait! Their lack of social skills and guts will actually keep them from striking, so they will choose to stay home and do nothing else for the rest of their lives. Pretty sad.:down:

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by flyinshark
Haha. They would go on a strike to bring back the computers and video games :woo: .....oh wait! Their lack of social skills and guts will actually keep them from striking, so they will choose to stay home and do nothing else for the rest of their lives. Pretty sad.:down:
thats right...they'll all do an online protest with their webcames and forward online petitions to each and everyone to sign!!!!!

hence why its hard for those people to leave video games because their social skills are so crippled. they try to be social but just come out very awkward so back to the video games they go.
unfortunately thanks to gaming (and staying home 24/7) brings a slew of disorders and problems. the friend i was talking about suffers from social anxiety (and several other disorders) and sees a shrink, thanks to that he's popping pills on a daily basis. IMHO, neither his shrink nor his pills will be able to cure him. The only real way is to break the habit/routine and do something different for a change. As practiced on this board all the time "fake it till you make it"

Yes they have dug themselves so far down into the pit of virtual reality, that they probably wouldnt even know how to survive in the real world. Usually these guys live with their parents for all eternity....cause they grow so dependent on them for everything.
these guys are like "big kids that never grew up"

so in conclusion games that can be played in a group = ok from time to time but i would suggest to stay away from MMORPGS cause they seriously cripple your social skills
Anyone that does and doesnt play games should seriously stay away from MMORPGS. This **** is addicting like crack. Harmful to your health, your eyes and spend more time playing than sleeping. I think my friend begain playing one of these called "guild wars", he told me he stayed up till 5 a.m. playing this ****. i went "dude, wtf....." and he was complaining how his eyes were red. yep.

Doc73

Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone that does and doesnt play games should seriously stay away from MMORPGS. This **** is addicting like crack. Harmful to your health, your eyes and spend more time playing than sleeping. I think my friend begain playing one of these called "guild wars", he told me he stayed up till 5 a.m. playing this ****. i went "dude, wtf....." and he was complaining how his eyes were red. yep.
Yeah online rpgs are evil. Six years ago I got into Everquest, probably the worst of the bunch. Without going into too much detail the game set me back about two years in emotional and mental growth, and cost me my education and a few of my friends. I will never play another MMORPG again.

As for video games in general, when i was younger I used to be heavily addicted to them, since it was the only thing I could really concentrate on. Its probably the reason why I lacked a lot of social skills during my time as a youth and an adult. Nowdays I just play them if I am extremely bored. I would much rather go out and socialize than sit in front of a computer. (Althought lately I have had to spend quite a bit of time on it since I am studying for a tech certification). Heck I even uinstalled messenger because it was keeping me from going out of the house.

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, there are different types of games. If you couldn't go out tonight, and you feel like playing a game or two, which option would you choose?

a) Spending hours playing an RPG where you build up a lot of credit, etc, so you can rule in this alternate reality and be king?

OR

b) Playing a quick game of topspin / madden / fifa / nba /etc with your friends, laughing at some hilariously impossible plays that someone just pulled off.

Obviously one represents borderline antisocial behaviour while the other does not.

What you choose can affect your behaviour - or is it your behaviour that is affecting what you choose?

We could go around in circles all day, but I think the bottom line is -- don't get sucked into gaming!

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love playing the classic games. They're free too. Download games like the Sierra adventure games, or Monkey Island. Real cool.

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that a bunch of people can relate to this. For those of you who were addicted to games and then made a change in your lives, i congratulate you. Some people remain game maniacs till their 30's or even more. I feel bad for those, because i know that deep down they may not be totally satisfied with their lives.

thats right...they'll all do an online protest with their webcames and forward online petitions to each and everyone to sign!!!!!
But wait. There are no more computers, hence no more internet:p
They are screwed:woo:

Originally posted by diplomatic_lies
I love playing the classic games. They're free too. Download games like the Sierra adventure games, or Monkey Island. Real cool.
I agree with you. I also find adventure games to be really cool. I always thought that they weren't as harmful as the other types of games, since adventure games actually make you think when u try to solve puzzles. Today i think that they are not really any better, since the bottom line is you try to impersonate a character in a virtual world. Why not go out in the real world and solve some mysteries there?:) It would be much more rewarding.

What kinda mysteries? Well, women are a good start. They could keep you puzzled for your whole life;)

diceman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, Adventure games are great cause they make you think, are cleverly designed & are a quick piece of fun. Tomb Raider & Mario are the best games ever.

I used to be abit of a game geek (not as much as some of my friends. They did LAN parties, which i always out right refused to do on the basis that it was just too geeky), & this site did make me realise that there was more important things in life.

But for the hardcore gamers, it's only gonna get worse; with all multiplayer games being online now, so goodbye friends being in the same room.

& the online RPGs, & big open gameworlds like GTA, & games like The Sims where you basically have to live life. It's like, gamers are spending all their time & resources making their virtual guy max out their stats & become the best guy in the game world, Whereas aspiring Don Juans are doing this process to themselves.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to play diablo and games like that for hours on end. Now I can play games for like 10 minutes before I get bored.

It's pretty weird, I guess I just got fed up with trying to live in an alternate reality and started loving my current one.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I play video games and I still have a very healthy active social life. I suppose it has something to do with where i live becaue I could leave the house literally at anytime and find a party or something else really good down.

That's not to say I spend hours upon hours on end in my house playing games in front of the TV. I have a number of other things to do like work and finaces. I think the saying all things in modoration applies here. Letting video games (or any recrational aspect of your life) take over completely is not a good thing nor will it benefit you in any significant way. Have fun but don't let it consume you.

Can it be socil? Well some what, I mean my boys roll by every now and again to play halo and madden for a bit. We drink a lil bit then we go out. We also have a "live" subscrition for our x box so we play people from time to time all over the country and what not. I guess that's kinda social. Balancing our lives is really the key factor, keep your life in balance.

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PRMoon
I play video games and I still have a very healthy active social life. I suppose it has something to do with where i live becaue I could leave the house literally at anytime and find a party or something else really good down.

That's not to say I spend hours upon hours on end in my house playing games in front of the TV. I have a number of other things to do like work and finaces. I think the saying all things in modoration applies here. Letting video games (or any recrational aspect of your life) take over completely is not a good thing nor will it benefit you in any significant way. Have fun but don't let it consume you.

Can it be socil? Well some what, I mean my boys roll by every now and again to play halo and madden for a bit. We drink a lil bit then we go out. We also have a "live" subscrition for our x box so we play people from time to time all over the country and what not. I guess that's kinda social. Balancing our lives is really the key factor, keep your life in balance.
Agreed.

Videogames don't cripple my social life at all because if I'm playing a game and someone calls me up to hang out, I'll put the controller down in an instant to go hang out with them. I like videogames, but I'd much rather hang out with actual people than play them.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the saying all things in modoration applies here. Letting video games (or any recrational aspect of your life) take over completely is not a good thing nor will it benefit you in any significant way. Have fun but don't let it consume you.
Ummm... is it bad that baseball has taken over my life completely? If I try to quit I might lose weight and have a little problem with general life. Is that a bad thing?

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by comic_relief
Ummm... is it bad that baseball has taken over my life completely? If I try to quit I might lose weight and have a little problem with general life. Is that a bad thing?
Are you a professional athelete? If you are then you're fine because what you do for recration also makes you money in a legal way. If not I'm sure you do other things besides play baseball because baseball won't pay your power bills.

I agree sports are a good way to stay fit, I have outdoors time too, like to hoop it up, ride the wheelman around town, lil frisbee so I'd agree you'd probably put on weight. I'm not sure what other problems you'd have in life without baseball but I'm almost certian they're psychological. If you want to play ball in addition to whatever else you have going on in you're life I'm sure it's fine. Just don't miss out on things you might regret missing later in life.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you a professional athelete? If you are then you're fine because what you do for recration also makes you money in a legal way. If not I'm sure you do other things besides play baseball because baseball won't pay your power bills.

I agree sports are a good way to stay fit, I have outdoors time too, like to hoop it up, ride the wheelman around town, lil frisbee so I'd agree you'd probably put on weight. I'm not sure what other problems you'd have in life without baseball but I'm almost certian they're psychological. If you want to play ball in addition to whatever else you have going on in you're life I'm sure it's fine. Just don't miss out on things you might regret missing later in life.
haha, yeah I plan on trying to go pro and get either my doctorite or masters at college for Archaeology. So I dunno, it will be fun no matter what happens. Although the psychological problems would be huge if I had to quit the sport.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends.

The question is:

Is the person one who would play video games in preference to having a great time?

If someone plays video games over hanging out with someone they don't like much (and there won't be anyone else around they DO like), there's nothing wrong with that.

I play some games, and I'm honestly a Mario and Zelda fan. Mario and Luigi, the Mario Brothers, along with Link (the hero of the Legend of Zelda), are my heroes.

But if I have a choice between playing games and going out when I know I'll have a great time, I'll definately choose the latter. I can always play the games later.

The only computer thing that I would do over hanging out and having a great time is fixing a network or server problem, assuming that it was imperative that the problem gets fixed ASAP. But that's not the same thing as playing games.

Ben

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Abbott
I play some games, and I'm honestly a Mario and Zelda fan. Mario and Luigi, the Mario Brothers, along with Link (the hero of the Legend of Zelda), are my heroes.
Hahahaha, you play a PRETENDO (Nintendo)!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm an X-Box junkie at least until the PS3 comes out in a year....

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes it does. Anti-social people love gaming.

But video games are not the cause, they're merely the effect. It's an escape.

It's still OK to play it. :D

Don Pablo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think games are fine in moderation, just don't over do it.

Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
at least until the PS3 comes out in a year....

Don't buy into the hype!:D

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Don Pablo
I think games are fine in moderation, just don't over do it.

Don't buy into the hype!:D
Oh I'm getting a 360 first, we'll see how they stand up against one another.