Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

use some deductive reasoning!!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The wretched subject of protein intake keeps coming up again and again. Everyone seems to think that they can eat as many carbs or fats as they like, but go over 1g protein per lb and they'll die. I've eaten 2-2.5g of protein per lb for longer than I can remember, and I've yet to crap out a kidney. But anyway.

If you guys don't want to take my word for it.. take a look at the biggest, strongest, leanest, most successful trainers on this board: A-Unit, Salvatore, Manuva, EFFORT, Espi, Throttle (who I don't know personally but by what he says, I'll bet he's in the 220lb+ range) - at least these are who I know of, if there's more then forgive me... They all advocate a higher than normal protein intake!! Whether this is 1.5g or 2.5g or 2g or whatever. Do you really think this is a coincidence?

And there's guys in the 120-160 range, struggling to grow on ham sandwiches and eating by the food pyramid - 30g protein per meal because "the body can't process" anymore. Hmm, I wonder how many of those guys would be twice the size if they doubled their protein..

So, to recap - the biggest guys on this forum eat a lot of protein. The smallest don't. Draw your own conclusions!

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
So, to recap - the biggest guys on this forum eat a lot of protein. The smallest don't. Draw your own conclusions!
The guys who eat the most protein are probably the same ones with the most discipline to begin with and would probably be the biggest regardless if large protein consumption was a myth or not.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
The guys who eat the most protein are probably the same ones with the most discipline to begin with and would probably be the biggest regardless if large protein consumption was a myth or not.
Devious, but probably true. The old "third variable" in a correlation.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Expanding on Warboss Alex's post...

1) To get bigger, to add more "cells", and therefore mass of some kind, you MUST eat more. Are we in agreement on this?

2) Then it begs the question, how much? Well, as stated before, it isn't a precise number. It can't be. The energy equation, simple as it is, could really only be solved if we were hooked to machines all day measuring each movement and the calories burned as a result. Yet, if we reason that 3500 calories - 1 pound, then we can eat 3500 a day, OR, 500 per day for 7 days. Generally people don't grow because they eat only a moderate amount above their required maintenance, say 200, which would take 17.5 days to add one pound, and that assumes your activity is 100% constant during those days. To do that, you'd have to be living in a cage, or a bubble. So we build a margin of safety into how many extra we consume for the extra energy needed to support recovery, growth, and new muscle once it appears.

3) Where should you take these calories from? If your need to build a foundation of a home, do you get tons of wood, dirt, cement, rebar, what? You get the component you need to build the extra support you require. If you add a room to your home, you don't go get straw, or leaves. You get the components necessary to BUILD that additional muscle. Is it carbs? Is it fat? Is it protein? I'm going with Protein, something I didn't do in my early years.

4). When you get the protein, then you try to figure well, if I eat a diet based ONLY on carbs, what happens? What happens if its only fat, if thats even possible? What happens if its only protein?

Well carb only leads to obesity and muscle loss, even a diet with a majority of calories derived from carbs will cause such things. Don't think so, find me someone who downs more than 50% carbs, and let me know their BF% and their weight. Complex or simple sugars aside, the body doesn't derive much benefit beyond quick energy and some basic vitamins and minerals. There aren't REQUIRED sugars, but there sure are REQUIRED fats and REQUIRED amino acids.

And a protein only diet or excessive protein, beyond atkins or close to it, leads to protein poisoning. Some symptoms would be diarrhea, nausea, lack of fullness, etc. Such things can be found in the Paleolithic diet book for Athletes. Even then PROTEIN only forgets totally about how fats contribute to hormones, and that during strength training workouts, you do need SUGAR from the body to convert quickly to energy so you can push yourself. We don't have time to weight for 9 calories of fat to convert to energy; that's slow activity stuff, like walking, living, sleeping etc. That's why you have bodyfat to begin with. If you're not dropping bodyweight, a few things are wrong...

1) you're eating too many calories
2) not enough activity to create a burn below your maintenance levels
3) excessive carbs; you're still storing carbs as fat, and not burning fat as energy, drop carbs down to 25% of calories per day or less
4) not enough calories, too low or too high and you're screwed. only diet initially about 250 below maintenance calories, or the body will think its starving. it truly doesn't want to lose weight, but it WILL if you trick it into thinking you're ok in your external environment. that comes with still eating sufficient food and getting your fats. if it thinks that, then it will continute to operate as if everything is ok.

And lastly, I'm not sure you can find 100% fat in existence without it being manufactured, like Crisco. And if you could, it wouldn't be very appetizing. Also, you'd miss out on the amino acids needed.

I can't fathom why a diet like TUrkey burgers, eggs, cottage cheese, protein powder, fish, steak, meats (not sausage, who knows what's in it, though I do indulge once in awhile @ fenway), chicken, with vegetables, salad, some fruits, ISN'T better than what other people propose. You see...it might seem unfathomable to move up from 1 tuna fish sandwish, to 2, but it is definately possible, is a MUST. The BODY FOR LIFE PROGRAM, might work ok to dump weight, but a good piece of that weight WILL be muscle, too. Oh sure, you'll decrease in pant sizes, and weight, and so will you too in muscle. 30g per meal might be ok for maintenance @ 180, but for someone who wants to sling around big weight, to do 20 rep squats, and 15 reps deads, and have big arms, little protein amounts won't count.

People can reference all the stuff they want about cattle and dinosaurs, but first off, they're DIFFERENT than humans. Second, they're built different genetically. Third, their internal organs are different and digest food different. Those ALONE are enough to suggest our dietary intake is different. Vegetarian bodybuilders are more the excetion THAN THE NORM, and alot of athletes interviewed will disclose their eating program, minus the supplements, unless its a magazine they're getting paid for it in.

I've been eating 30g per meal since 18 roughly, and only started gaining anything when I upped my protein to 1.5g to 2.g. I also recovered better, decreasing the days I was sore from 4/5 to about 2/3. I feel full. I look forward to my meals. I eat more completely. And don't worry that I wasted a workout by not eating properly afterward. Food is everything when it comes to any progress made. Most people I know not making progress think they will in due time fool themselves by owning 1 tub of protein and having the recommended amount once perday. I'm sure other guys buy more than I do, but I alot 60g per shake, and have 1 5lb tub of optimum nutrition and 1 2.5 lb of muscle milk. I like them both for price, components, and taste. You can pick which ever you want to buy and consume. But if you're paying for the protein shake, get more than 30g. And 60g doesn't taste any different than 30g, it just takes more water and 1 more minute to drink. If you've never done it that big, it might take more time to adjust, but most people can do it over time. And if you're cramping, or going the bathroom, or farting, eat some carbs with it, or fat. I get muscle milk with optimum nutrition b/c the muscle milk has about 18 g of fat in 2 scoops, and normally I use 1.5 scoops. Never have problems with the digestion. I feel great, and full.

You guys can do whatever you want. The ones who post here in this forum, post their experiences, good or bad, in the hopes you can refine them to your own program. But, if you're NOT planning good health, by negligence, you're PLANNING POOR health.

Sorry for the hijack, Alex. Nice thread, brotha.

A-Unit

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3) Where should you take these calories from? If your need to build a foundation of a home, do you get tons of wood, dirt, cement, rebar, what? You get the component you need to build the extra support you require. If you add a room to your home, you don't go get straw, or leaves. You get the components necessary to BUILD that additional muscle. Is it carbs? Is it fat? Is it protein? I'm going with Protein, something I didn't do in my early years.
not trying to disagree with your post and I've used those points, too (for example I've told friends, that protein/eating enough is necessary for building muscle as material is for building a house, which is probably still true). But I've come to realize, that such points are a nice comparison, but really no argument or point or whatsoever.

I mean who says building muscle is exactly the same way as building a home...if that was the case than you could go on to draw conclusions like: if u can afford to build ur house all day long and take no day of rest, it'll be done more quickly, however in weight training that might result in overtraining ;-)....not dissing your post, though, just thought I'd mention that because I see those 'arguments' time and again (and used to use them, too...however they don't really back something up).

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
alex...you guessed right. and until I got serious about lifting heavy & eating craploads of protein, it was nearly all fat, despite years of dieting, exercise, stress, and well-intentioned bad advice. I credit the rest of your list with helping put me on the right path. The best thing I ever I did for my health was to stop "dieting" and start eating clean at least 3/4 of the time: lean protein by the boatload.

All the advice I give out here is simply my own validation (either personally or based on research) of the advice A-Unit and the rest of the gang have been giving out on this board for a long time. As soon as I got out of the bulk/starve mentality (esp. the starve part), my gains went through the roof. At this point I want to intervene with any 18 year old that will listen, b/c of the s***loads of bad advice I was getting at that age. Not only that, but I built up psychological defenses against listening to the sort of advice I needed. And when I see guys wanking the same non-sense all over a board full of good advice that helped me it drives me f***ing nuts...

and for everybody stressed about which flippin' protein powder / supplements are best, I've gotten this far on eggs, milk, chicken, salmon, pb and so on. most of us can get where we want to be with very little supplementation (multivitamin, post-workout whey, fish or flax oil if you refuse to enjoy the wonders of wild-caught salmon)

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
madgame said:
not trying to disagree with your post and I've used those points, too (for example I've told friends, that protein/eating enough is necessary for building muscle as material is for building a house, which is probably still true). But I've come to realize, that such points are a nice comparison, but really no argument or point or whatsoever.

I mean who says building muscle is exactly the same way as building a home...if that was the case than you could go on to draw conclusions like: if u can afford to build ur house all day long and take no day of rest, it'll be done more quickly, however in weight training that might result in overtraining ;-)....not dissing your post, though, just thought I'd mention that because I see those 'arguments' time and again (and used to use them, too...however they don't really back something up).
:up:

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ruckus...respectfully, too much discipline has never been my problem, not now, not ever. to amplify my last post, i've always been a big guy, but it wasn't until i switched from meals dominated by simple carbs to meals dominated by lean protein/non-sat fat/fiber that i've been able to make that size muscle rather than fat. And eating the good stuff is just so damn satisfying! Seriously, would you rather blow calories on high fructose corn syrup cookies (you'll be hungry for more in an hour, betcha can't eat just 10!) or on a STEAK? Mmm... I think dinner just picked itself tonight.

it ain't discipline. it's giving my body a chance to crave the things that are good for it (protein, heavy resistance training, and cardio that I enjoy like biking) rather than the things it craved it by inertia, habit & ignorance.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

The beauty of analogy is in its presentation of effective imagery to convey an idea to another mind, like a virus through the air, by using minimal words.

I'll change the home, and obviously its ineffective in that, people MIGHT take it to mean you can build muscle like a home. There are elements that are in fact similar, but I'll consider it for the future references.

A-Unit

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post Alex, funny timing too Wesley (iron addict) just bumped my protein up to 475 a day and carbs to 375.

Once we get threads about people complaining about how much they sh*t in a day then we'll know people are eating enough. (i'm dropping 4+ bombs a day)

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like this post, very informative.

What should the ratio be of protein:vegetables:fruits?

I know the b.s. that some health advocates are preaching, but that is for the average person who is quite sedentary in today's society.

I want to hear it from you guys.

I'm going to start adding alot more of these to my diet:
eggs
tuna
salmon
chicken breasts
steak
*hamburgers - does your typical beef burger have the same benefits as other foods?

One more thing, may as well ask now: How long into a workout program do you start seeing weight gains? I know this is almost entirely dependent on lifting/eating, but for a healthy high-protein diet and a moderate lifting prog, how long do you think?
p.s. if you want to see what my prog is, its in my workout log somewhere on the page.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since the protein subject has been laid to rest, time to start kicking a new one: fat intake for fat loss.

Diesel says 'eat 30 g/day'. ESPI says he eats 120. What works? Well, I tried diesel's guide, and at first I was really getting cut, but once I went beyond around 600 cals below maintainance (took 3 weeks to get there), the progress stopped. But anyways, 30 g/fat did not allow much selection for food. I ate mostly cottage cheese (low fat, 5g fat/cup, 2 - 3 cups a day), tuna (4 cans a day), oatmeal, etc. Couldn't eat stuff like eggs or lean turkey bacon. And it worked, for a while. Maybe I shouldn't have gone that low.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
answers in CAPS

Quiksilver said:
I like this post, very informative.

What should the ratio be of protein:vegetables:fruits?

2G PROTEIN PER LB BODYWEIGHT - IF YOU ARE 180 THEN TAKE IN 360G PROTEIN. UNLIMITED GREEN VEGETABLES, FRUIT KEEP IT FIBROUS AND HIGH IN ANTIOXIDANTS LIKE BERRIES, APPLIES, GRAPEFRUIT, PEACHES, GREEN BANANAS, PLUMS.. ONE OR TWO PIECES IN THE EARLY HALF OF THE DAY.

I know the b.s. that some health advocates are preaching, but that is for the average person who is quite sedentary in today's society.

I want to hear it from you guys.

I'm going to start adding alot more of these to my diet:
eggs
tuna
salmon
chicken breasts
steak
*hamburgers - does your typical beef burger have the same benefits as other foods?

IF IT'S FROM MCDONALDS NO. IF YOU MAKE THE PATTY YOURSELF FROM LEAN GROUND BEEF AND COOK IT AT HOME THEN YES, IT'S FINE.

One more thing, may as well ask now: How long into a workout program do you start seeing weight gains? I know this is almost entirely dependent on lifting/eating, but for a healthy high-protein diet and a moderate lifting prog, how long do you think?

WEIGHT GAINS ARE NOT LINEAR, YOU MIGHT GAIN NOTHING FOR THREE WEEKS THEN SHOOT UP 5LBS. STAY OFF THE SCALE FOR -ONE MONTH- AND AVOID THE MIRROR - ONE MONTH LATER CHECK THE SCALE AND ASSESS YOUR RESULTS IN THE MIRROR. TAKE PICTURES FOR COMPARATIVE PURPOSES IF YOU LIKE.

p.s. if you want to see what my prog is, its in my workout log somewhere on the page.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Disconnect said:
Since the protein subject has been laid to rest, time to start kicking a new one: fat intake for fat loss.

Diesel says 'eat 30 g/day'. ESPI says he eats 120. What works? Well, I tried diesel's guide, and at first I was really getting cut, but once I went beyond around 600 cals below maintainance (took 3 weeks to get there), the progress stopped. But anyways, 30 g/fat did not allow much selection for food. I ate mostly cottage cheese (low fat, 5g fat/cup, 2 - 3 cups a day), tuna (4 cans a day), oatmeal, etc. Couldn't eat stuff like eggs or lean turkey bacon. And it worked, for a while. Maybe I shouldn't have gone that low.
600 cals beyond maintaince is why progress stopped. This is where you should have upped your cardio or whatever.

High fat diets are great for fat loss but carb up days are necessary to keep gym perfomance and thyroid operation at good levels.

Depending on how much fat you have to lose, just cleaning up your act and doing cardio (without cutting cals) might be all you need. If your bodyfat is higher you might want a stricter diet.. depends on goals and stats.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post! The biggest mistake made by scronny people is not eating enough!

If you want results from your lifting..... EAT!!!! I'm pushing down five to six thousand calories a day along with 300 - 400 grams of protein. EAT EAT EAT, than when you're full, eat some more!

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For ground beef I'd stick to 90/10 (that is, 10% or less fat). Or 85/15, and use something like a foreman grill that drains at least some of the fat away. For something completely different, try buffalo burgers; they tend to be even lower in fat. I need to work up a post on the glories of chicken (and salmon & pork & steak) marinades & a foreman grill.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
For ground beef I'd stick to 90/10 (that is, 10% or less fat). Or 85/15, and use something like a foreman grill that drains at least some of the fat away. For something completely different, try buffalo burgers; they tend to be even lower in fat. I need to work up a post on the glories of chicken (and salmon & pork & steak) marinades & a foreman grill.
You can also buy ground turkey or chicken, which is low in fat and very high in protein!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
you can buy 80/20 ground beef if money is an issue - cook it up in a pan, drain the fat off, then put the meat in a collander and rinse under hot water for about five minutes (until the juices run clear). then pour it onto paper towels and squeeze some more moisture+fat out of it. you get rid of at least half the fat this way.

for 85% lean and leaner, just fill up the pan with water once the meat is cooked (you'll see the grease rise to the surface) and just pour it off.

for 93% lean and above I don't bother rinsing.. you need a little fat, lol.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
for 85% lean and leaner, just fill up the pan with water once the meat is cooked (you'll see the grease rise to the surface) and just pour it off.
my only problem with rinsing with water is it drains much of the taste away, and the leaner the cut, the less taste there is already. i'd be interested in some math -- how much of the "cheapness" of fattier ground beef gets drained away when you drain off the fat?

i'd like to get guys here to focus on cooking chicken in interesting ways as their basic meat, and adding salmon, beef & pork as they can afford to.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I totally agree!

I got to around 230lbs at the peak of my bulking. Maths is not my strong point so I never measured my protein intake. But I ate protein in almost every meal of every day + protein shakes after workouts. I'm pretty sure I had way more than recommended, but I never suffered any problems and I got big very fast.