Use a woman's first name as much as possible..

stuka1939

Banned
Reaction score
Somebody wrote here once or I read it elsewhere.

PEOPLE LIKE TO HEAR THEIR FIRST NAME. You do and I do.

Using a girl's name frequently in conversation will build attraction, especially in the initial stages where she does not know you that well.

I used this technique today.

I had to run something downstairs to another department and I gave the material to this 21 year old hottie with striking blue eyes that I barely know.

Instead of saying" Hey, here is this to drop off." I said instead.....

Laura, this patron is coming to pick this up today.

MotownMack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think it's a bad idea, and you should do it some... but I DO NOT recommend doing it "as often as possible".

There's an old business saying that you know not to trust someone when they use your name at the end of every sentence.

They're trying to sell you something or con you out of something. (It was an old school sales method back in day before more advanced techniques were widely known)

If you used too often or inappropriately, you'll draw attention to it, and you'll actually reverse the intended effect.

stuka1939

Banned
Reaction score
MotownMack said:
I don't think it's a bad idea, and you should do it some... but I DO NOT recommend doing it "as often as possible".

There's an old business saying that you know not to trust someone when they use your name at the end of every sentence.

They're trying to sell you something or con you out of something. (It was an old school sales method back in day before more advanced techniques were widely known)

If you used too often or inappropriately, you'll draw attention to it, and you'll actually reverse the intended effect.
I definitely hear what you are saying, especially if I used the name at the beginning and ending of every sentence.

shinko

Don Juan
Reaction score
I use a girl's name, especially when im saying hey or saying goodbye. It helps me to remember it as much as anything. Nothing more annoying than talking to a girl and for love nor money you cant remember what her name is.

Mason3385

Reaction score
I would only do it if I say hello or goodbye and maybe once or twice in a conversation. Everything else would be too much at least from my point of view.

karusel

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm regularly watching The Daily Show and Colbert Report and as you probably know, normally they have one guest every show. What I noticed though, was there were 3 types of guests that fit this thread.
1. those whose interview is normal
2. those whose interview is warmhearted and awesome
3. those who use the host's first name more than once

I find that absolutely annoying. Stephen, the fact of the matter is, that you can't generalize, but Stephen, have you evear heard of people wearing no pants at all? Well, Stephen you have to admit, Stephen, that Stephen Stephen Stephen Stephen Stephen, right Stephen?

I think that IF you do that, you have to be VERY good at that in the sense that the first name mention goes conciously unnoticed. Where I'm from, first (or last) name mention in a casual conversation for no apparent reason (many other people around) would be a little strange, doing it as often as possible would be bizzare.

BeyondCharm

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
karusel, it's only annoying because you are an observer. When you hear your own name, you feel important. That is why its considered a fast way to build rapport with someone. Anyway karusel, all you really need to do is recognize the value in using a name of a person and as long as you don't over use it karusel.

PS. karusel karusel karusel.

The Sperminator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Saying their name a few times in a convo is good don't over do it though. It is good to use it a lot on the phone though trust me.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Sperminator said:
Saying their name a few times in a convo is good don't over do it though. It is good to use it a lot on the phone though trust me.
Overdoing it isn't a good thing, it begins to feel very creepy as if you're trying to say their name all of the time. Besides, her name isn't that important in the grand scheme of things; what you call he other than her name is more important. Think about it, everyone (i.e. all of her friends) call her by her name. Someone special will have a special name for her (a name which she likes of course). Giving her a pet name that she likes works much better than repeating her name over, and over and over.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't do it if you just met her, it doesn't work and comes accross as creepy. I mean sure chuck it in a few times but doing it a little to much does more harm then good.

AlekNovy

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is one of those things like smiling.

It's better to overdo it than not do it. So go full out on it.

When I first came to susave years ago, it's the first tip I learned and it did wonders for me. Just this one tip alone. I felt like I had acquires jedi-powers. I literally had women going DBE from just me doing more eye-contact and repeating their names.

Yahooey

Don Juan
Reaction score
There are plenty of occasions for using a person's name without it sounding overused (salesman like):
- Use the person's name in greetings. Say "Hi Jane" instead of "Hi",
- Replacing all pronouns with the person's name is an easy way to get the name in naturally. Say "Jane said" instead of "she said".
- When addressing a question, complete it with the person's name e.g. "What do you think, Jane?" This does assume you know how to avoid the "interview" conversation because then it would sound overused.

An added benefit of using the person's name in the conversation is that it will help you remember it.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use her name when I first meet her, amtbye once or twice when where talking, and when I say goodbye.

Works everytime.....

James Dupri

Don Juan
Reaction score
MotownMack said:

i think its from a Dale Carnegie book?

kingsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
James Dupri said:
i think its from a Dale Carnegie book?
think Dale says to repeat back their name when you meet them

bob ; hi im bob
jim; hi bob

rather than jim just saying "hi" , so you internalise the name better and are a LOT less likely to forget it ... it does work

i cant find the book at the moment, if this is wrong let me know

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Using first names in moderate regularity is gold.

Be smooth about it. And I love to use her first name in a teasing way, ie "My name is Natalie, look at me" etc etc.

Lexington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup, I find it very annoying and almost condescending when people use my name at the end of every sentence. It is however good if you use it sparingly, especially with someone you're getting to know. It makes you feel closer to a person when they call you by your name. Most people don't use it AT ALL.