Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

U.S. Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zupanbrd

Reaction score
Fitch said:
There are benefits to serving, though. Example: Full tuition coverage, special consideration when applying to schools, and its something nice to but on the resumes.

It builds rapport.

Do you disagree?

A lawyer goes to college for seven years. And I plan to do just that. However, I was wondering if it makes sense to serve for the United States for two years prior to enrolling into college, followed by law school.

I have my sights on the ivy leagues. Unfortunately, Cornell only accepted me this year and I am not going there. I received more financial aid from Syracuse University, and that school is crap. Due to my financial disadvantage, I will end up at Syracuse with a SMALL chance of getting accepted to other schools if I TRY to transfer. It's unbelieveably hard to transfer.

I think after service, my chances for Harvard will increase significantly--special consideration, and such.
Why don't do do the ROTC option at cornell? Sign up for a 3 year scholarship there or 2 year scholarship and cornell will pay u to become an officer. I'm sure there are some lawyer programs in the military as well. Cuz I'm doing ROTC in the fall at college as well. :D

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's better to serve the United States after graduation from West Point as opposed to enlisting for a few years and then GO to a private college, correct?

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it all boils down to whether you're afraid of war or not. The training/benefits are worth it. If there was no war I wouldn't think twice about joining (I would) but im afraid of war.

Zupanbrd

Reaction score
I think you should go to school unless you really want to be in the military life.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe The Homophobe said:
I think it all boils down to whether you're afraid of war or not. The training/benefits are worth it. If there was no war I wouldn't think twice about joining (I would) but im afraid of war.
I am not afraid to fight in a war. I am not afraid to kill. I only fear death itself.

Zupanbrd said:
I think you should go to school unless you really want to be in the military life.
The only reason why I am even considering serving for the US Armed Forces is for the benefits. They included, but are not limited to: Financial aid, tuition coveraged, physically and mental improvement, etc.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fitch said:
The only reason why I am even considering serving for the US Armed Forces is for the benefits. They included, but are not limited to: Financial aid, tuition coveraged, physically and mental improvement, etc.
and you said you aren't afraid of war so what are you coming to us for? we all know the training is exceptional and life changing, we know it turns boys into men. We know the benefits are good (and getting better) so you know all the benefits. The drawback is the war itself, being in a battlezone and the possibilty of being killed or getting seriously injured.

SOME THINGS TO CONSIDER
While men are dying it has to be said that the overwhelming cause of death is not from actual enemy fire but from IEDs. Most americans die from the explosives instead of actual combat with the enemy. While this is bad it is better than having most die in combat. If saddam had not fallen and major combat were still going on it would be a much more dangerous situation with much greater casualties (for example vietnam, world war II).

The quality of life sucks. Although it is a lot better than when the war started. They are building permanent bases with permanent structures such as dining halls/cabins/gyms/movie theaters/internet cafes/ replacing tents etc and they have done so already but I don't know if in all bases but I bet in most. From what I have read what is happening at the moment is that troops are being moved to the big bases which are outside the cities and are a lot safer, and letting the iraqi troops do the job in the city, while american troops provide support. Life still sucks though but you can't expect more from war.

Here is an article on one of the big bases which has a lot of amenities for the soldiers to make their lives better but in the small bases life sucks a thousand times more.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4850876.stm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11072377/

Last edited:

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe The Homophobe said:
and you said you aren't afraid of war so what are you coming to us for? we all know the training is exceptional and life changing, we know it turns boys into men. We know the benefits are good (and getting better) so you know all the benefits. The drawback is the war itself, being in a battlezone and the possibilty of being killed or getting seriously injured.

SOME THINGS TO CONSIDER
While men are dying it has to be said that the overwhelming cause of death is not from actual enemy fire but from IEDs. Most americans die from the explosives instead of actual combat with the enemy. While this is bad it is better than having most die in combat. If saddam had not fallen and major combat were still going on it would be a much more dangerous situation with much greater casualties (for example vietnam, world war II).

The quality of life sucks. Although it is a lot better than when the war started. They are building permanent bases with permanent structures such as dining halls/cabins/gyms/movie theaters/internet cafes/ replacing tents etc and they have done so already but I don't know if in all bases but I bet in most. From what I have read what is happening at the moment is that troops are being moved to the big bases which are outside the cities and are a lot safer, and letting the iraqi troops do the job in the city, while american troops provide support. Life still sucks though but you can't expect more from war.

Here is an article on one of the big bases which has a lot of amenities for the soldiers to make their lives better but in the small bases life sucks a thousand times more.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4850876.stm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11072377/
Does fear of dying, or death, constitute a fear of war?

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Afraid of dying while in combat would constitute a fear of war. If your deathly afraid of dying while on duty because you will "miss out" on the rest of your life, then I believe you should avoid it.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fitch said:
I am writing to you seeking your impartial opinion.

I am in an interesting predicament. I have two options before me, and I am seeking genuine advice. I can either serve the United States as a Marine, and THEN go to college; or just go to school.

I am an intelligent, ambitious individual who faces an obstacle--money. Sure, I can take loans and pay them back later, but I can serve and get my education covered 100%. Furthermore, I can most likely get into a more prestigious school with my Marine background after my contract expires.

Clearly there are benefits for taking the Marine path, and then living as a civilian for the rest of my years. And there are its disadvantages...

I need to make a decision.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood," wrote the poet Robert Frost. "And I took the one less traveled by."

You should make the decision that BEST suits you. We cannot make that decision for you.

I served in the Military (First Gulf War) as an enlisted then finished my BS and MS. I don't regret serving in the Military.

Now, you are not going to be covered 100% in the education department. I think whoever told you that is bsing you. Unless things have changed considerably. They will give you an x amount of $$$ and you pay the difference.

I have a daughter in High School and this is the advice I am giving her:

1- Apply for one of the Academies

or

2- Apply for a University in which you can get as much scholarship as possible

Note: You don't see me telling her to join the Navy, Air Force, or Marines and THEN go to College.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now, if you truly MUST join to help you with $$$ and oportunities...then join in a field and Service that can give you that experience.

Serving the Marines to then go to Law School is a WASTE of TIME. Now, serving as a "paralegal" for one of the services (Navy, Army, Marine, etc.), might be more transitional and might offer you some experience in your future chosen career.

Same goes for those that want to become doctors or nurses...if you cannot go to medical school and MUST join the Military, then join as a 'corpman'.

If you want to go to school as a physist, then join the Navy and Submarines. Etc.

But don't join unless you have too. There is always the Military Academies such as Westpoint.

As I said...I rather my children go to College or the Military Academies. But joining as an Enlisted? They won't do that if I have something to do with it.

That's why you MUST make your own decision, based on YOUR situation.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fitch said:
It's better to serve the United States after graduation from West Point as opposed to enlisting for a few years and then GO to a private college, correct?

If I was to enlist (again), I would certainly go to West Point over the other route you mentioned. If you think the GI-Bill is going to be enough to pay Harvard or Rice or another Ivy League University, then I think you might want to reconsider.

Furthermore, before you can even go to Law School, you MUST first obtain a bachelors degree in something. And then apply for Law School. You should talk with a school councelor about those things.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
If I was to enlist (again), I would certainly go to West Point over the other route you mentioned. If you think the GI-Bill is going to be enough to pay Harvard or Rice or another Ivy League University, then I think you might want to reconsider.

Furthermore, before you can even go to Law School, you MUST first obtain a bachelors degree in something. And then apply for Law School. You should talk with a school councelor about those things.
I know. I had this in mind: Enlist->Undergraduate Studies->Graduate School

However, I would prefer to go to West Point->Serve->Graduate School. But, I think, it's too late to apply to West Point now.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fitch said:
I know. I had this in mind: Enlist->Undergraduate Studies->Graduate School

However, I would prefer to go to West Point->Serve->Graduate School. But, I think, it's too late to apply to West Point now.

You think or you know?

Silquee Smoove

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't usually post in this section, ever, but I saw your post and wanted to pass along some info. that might clear up a few things.

It's good that you have a long-term plan, but if you are going into the military don't discount boot camp, people still die in basic training.

If you are serious about going into the military then you need to read a copy of the Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook

Sgt. Volkin answers common questions and informs new recruits of what will be expected of them.

Here is another page to read, pay close attention to number 1. The Top Ten Things to Expect When Preparing for Boot Camp

Also, a good friend of mine has been in the exact same predicament that you are in, with a difference of some parameters and he said that the only way he would go into the Navy was if he was a J.A.G. - Judge Advocate General, or a Naval Officer-Attorney. Have you considered tying that in to your plans?

Best of luck.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Silquee Smoove said:
I don't usually post in this section, ever, but I saw your post and wanted to pass along some info. that might clear up a few things.

It's good that you have a long-term plan, but if you are going into the military don't discount boot camp, people still die in basic training.

If you are serious about going into the military then you need to read a copy of the Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook

Sgt. Volkin answers common questions and informs new recruits of what will be expected of them.

Here is another page to read, pay close attention to number 1. The Top Ten Things to Expect When Preparing for Boot Camp

Also, a good friend of mine has been in the exact same predicament that you are in, with a difference of some parameters and he said that the only way he would go into the Navy was if he was a J.A.G. - Judge Advocate General, or a Naval Officer-Attorney. Have you considered tying that in to your plans?

Best of luck.
I've considered JAG. I have actually meet a JAG who tried the case regarding the prison abuse in Abu Garab.

But, you missed my point. I would like to serve before going to Law School, so I can use the experience to my advantage. After serving, I will return to civilian life as a changed man--confident, elloquint, assertive, etc. In addition: to take advantage of the Veteran's bill to increase my chances of getting into the pristine schools.

I rather work in the private sector upon graduation.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you're starting to find your path now Fitch.

daSoCalpimp

Don Juan
Reaction score
let me give you some ruminations on what I have noticed from people who have gone to the military/marines

I know 3 guys that went to the army, 4 to the marines and 1 to the navy

These three guys were pretty much in the same predicament. The were unmotivated, low educated, didn't want to got to school, had no future, wasting their lives, no future plans, these were buddies of mine, they went to their respective duties and when they came back they were changed. Instead of being unmotivated and no goals, they got motivated, got goals, ENROLLED in COLLEGE by themselves and set goals.

But all the while me and my other friends were already motivated, had goals, in college, with a head start in life.

I see the military/marines as more of a way to put lost souls back on track, obviously those guys benefitted from it. But I already had all those qualities that they didn't have.

What I see from your post is that you have the motivation, goals, and desire to go to school. So will the military/marines benefit you in that sense?

Or is it gonna make you take 2 steps back? and take 2+ years from you?

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
I think you're starting to find your path now Fitch.
I began my application process to the United States Military Academy at West Point. Let's see if I pass the first stage of academic qualification. (EDIT->) I received confirmation from the school; I should hear back from them in seven days!

At times like this I wish I had worked a little bit harder...
If they reject me, I will enter a private college for a year and attempt to transfer to West Point.

daSoCalpimp said:
let me give you some ruminations on what I have noticed from people who have gone to the military/marines

These three guys were pretty much in the same predicament. The were unmotivated, low educated, didn't want to got to school, had no future, wasting their lives, no future plans, these were buddies of mine, they went to their respective duties and when they came back they were changed. Instead of being unmotivated and no goals, they got motivated, got goals, ENROLLED in COLLEGE by themselves and set goals.

But all the while me and my other friends were already motivated, had goals, in college, with a head start in life.

I see the military/marines as more of a way to put lost souls back on track, obviously those guys benefitted from it. But I already had all those qualities that they didn't have.

What I see from your post is that you have the motivation, goals, and desire to go to school. So will the military/marines benefit you in that sense?

Yes, I need a little bit of that. You have to realize that regular enlist is very different from serving after West Point. The best of the best go to West Point to study.

Last edited:

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shydude said:
Being a waiter u get paid about 100-300$ a day, depends were you working
I hope you're joking. 100-300$ a day means 3000-9000 (!)$ a month... SOME waiters get paid that much, but just the ones that worked as waiters for 20+ years. A 18-yr-old guy would be pretty lucky to earn 50$ a day.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
daSoCalpimp said:

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this post. But, I will say one thing: excellent points.

I was a Valedictorian in High School in Puerto Rico. Was accepted in the best University in the Island (one that even U.S. companies and NASA recruit from), and there is no doubt in my mind I would have been accepted to several of the best schools in the U.S. mainland. But I lacked motivation. Was, in fact, out of control (I was born and raised in the streets and barrios, so I was a "bad boy").

I joined for two reasons (I was 20):

1- Get my life back in control
2- Learn English

So, it changed my life for that reason.

I would have never (NEVER) joined as an enlisted man for the sole purpose to set a path for my career. The only way I would do that is if I was going to one of the Military Academies (as I hope my children do).

Status
Not open for further replies.