triceps after chest?

Live-n-learn

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey

It seems like it's common to do your chest exercises along with shoulders and triceps on the same day, but after I do my bench presses, my triceps are already pretty worked out so I can't do exercises like tri pushdowns etc.

For a better idea of what workout i'm using now:

Day1: bench press 3x 8reps
incline bench press 3x8reps

Bent-over barbell rows 3.8reps
Lat pulldowns 3x12reps
Stiff-legged Deadlifts 3x8reps

Front/side/rear lat raises 3x10reps
(I used to do barbell shoulder presses, but my right shoulder/scapula/trapezius area is screwed up)

Day2: Leg extensions 3x 10reps
Leg curls 3x10reps
(I used to do squats, but I don't do them now cuz my right ankle makes a cracking sound everytime i lower myself and whenever I walk down a flight of stairs.......weird i know)

Calf Raises
Weighted crunches
Alternating side crunches

Day3: Tricep pushdowns 3x10reps
Tricep pushdowns (w/ underhand grip) 3x6 or 3x8reps
Tricep extension 3x6reps

Bicep curls 3x10reps
Hammer curls 3x8reps
(Will switch to barbell curls and incline dumbell curls next month to keep the workout fresh)

Shrugs
Neck extensions
Wrist and reverse Wrist curls

Keep in mind that I work out at home with the limited amount of machinery (bench, weights), and my goal is to gain muscle mass.

So should I keep on with this routine? Should I change it around or is there anything I can implement to make it better?

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep on doing what you did before. Chest exercises generally are great tricep exercises as well, and you really don't need tricep extensions if you are benching hard. The biggest triceps rarely belong to anyone who does tri extensions regularly; they usually belong to someone who bench presses an inordinate amount of weight.

CrizzleGA

Don Juan
Reaction score
Should you be doing chest/tricepts on the same day or chest/biceps on the same day?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Metalfortress is right, don't worry about your secondary tricep stuff.

Tricep pulldowns aren't going to make your arms grow much at all, but increasing your bench press or dip by 50+ pounds will.

You said your goal is to add muscle mass and your unable to squat, can you deadlift? I'd def go to a doc and have that ankle looked at and see what can be done, you'll be missing out big if you can't perform those exercises

Crizzle- Do chest and tricep on same day, there already getting hit as it is.

Reaction score
Do chest/tricep and back/biceps.

Since chest and trcieps work together and back and biceps work together.

:woo:

Oh and remember GO HEAVY OR GO HOME. *****, cant handle more weight? Whats the matter with you?!!! Eight reps?

LOL!

The only way you should be doing eight reps is if its one set (maybe 2) with a ****load of weight to faliure.
HAHAHAHAHA. Youre not going to make much progress with that.

Reaction score
Go to a doctor or a chiropractor about the "cracking". Thats not normal.

Find the proper form for the squat or a position that wont crack your ankles. Some stretching will also help. Try ankle rotations and calf stretches.

Also try the leg press and see if that makes a diference.