training brother

emelec

Don Juan
Reaction score
well my brother wants to have a six pack and gain some muscle. and since he is new it is going to take a while to erase the b.s that has been fed to him about bodybuilding. such as high reps mean a toned bbody and to much meat clogs your arteries. but hell learn in time. now i was going to start him on warboss simple starting routine but the problem is he cant even squat the bar. so I wanted to know what type of modifications or new routine I can put him on in order to build his strength to start squatting and get him as close to a decent physique as possible by june in time for his prom.

we started today and i tried to modify it myself.

elliptical 10 mins
declined situps 2x10

DB lunges 15lbs in each hand 3x10
leg press 20lbs on each side of the machine 3x10
stiff legged deadlift with a smaller bar 2x10
hyperextension 3x8
seated calf raise 2x10

His stats are 6ft 150lbs 16 to 18% bodyfat. <-- body fat is just a rough estimate.

Im guessing he wants the whole brad pitt fight club look as everyone else. but I want to lower his bodyfat and increase his strength.

I will use the sample starting diet by effort. and make him eat 1.5g of protein per lb.

any help is appreciated.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm, are you sure he can't squat the bar? That seems really odd, most 110lb women can probably squat the bar so I reckon your bro (150lbs) should be able to. Maybe his form is off?

Get him on the simple 3day split (like what Warboss Alex posted) and if he can't squat the bar yet, just let him do the negative portion (going down) and then help him on the way back up..Until he can squat the bar :)

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is he new to training?

There can be some mileage in putting him on a fullbody, rather than a 3 day straightaway.

If he's having trouble with sqauts, why not get him doing some Hindu squats, or freeweight squats?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get him doing this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

Incorporating a lot of squatting is what he needs at the moment. If he can't to the bar it could be a balance issue, I have seen that a lot in new guys. I highly doubt he doesn't have the strength to do a rep.

Get him to do body weight squats daily to learn balance and form, and on the heavy workout days use dumbbells ( not a problem since they will be very light) held at the side. He should be onto the bar within a few workouts. Get him to hold two 10kg dumbbells and see if he can squat with them, if he can it is a balance issue with the bar.

With bench just get him to use dumbbells if he can't press the bar.

I wouldn't bother with hypers/calf raises/lunges anything like that, just get him onto the above. He should adapt very quickly.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah i agree with Quagmire. My brother of 15 who is the ultimate couch potato at 113 could squat the bar.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
having taught a couple skinny girls to squat (lol that sounds like even more fun than it was -- nevermind), i agree, it's likely more a balance issue, or possibly flexibility in the hips / ankles.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If he can't even squat the bar, then he isn't safely ready for that routine. Get him into some physically demanding sports instead.

If that isn't gonna pan out, then get him doing alternate exercises(lunges, leg extensions, leg curles, calf raises) until he's strong enough to go up and down with perfect form squatting.

Then just start taking 2.5-5lbs onto the bar every week.