Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Torn labrum...

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Back in January, I dislocated my left shoulder really bad while snowboarding - popped it all the way out (falling backwards, hand behind me) and had to get taken down by the ski patrol. The emergency room doctor got it back in and did x-rays, and luckily I didn't break anything. Sling + vicodin for about a week, and no lifting.

I couldn't stay out of the gym for too long, but took it real easy for that quarter of school, only getting really back into heavier lifting around march or so. I had a doctor's appointment with an orthopedist (although his ability is questioned by a couple of people I've talked to) and he had me go get an open MRI (with space on the sides, not an enclosed tube).

After the results of the MRI, the doctor said I had a torn labrum, and that the outpatient arthroscopic surgery is not an emergency, but probably should be done.

As I'm graduating from college soon, I'm going to be dropped from my mom's health insurance, and thus I'll need to get it taken care of by June if that's in my plans. Have any of you guys, being lifters and athletic, had the same thing happen? And if so, any recommendations, or length that it put you out of commission, or should i get a second opinion??? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rehabilitation

After surgery, you will need to keep your shoulder in a sling for three to four weeks. Your physician will also prescribe gentle, passive, pain-free range-of-motion exercises. When the sling is removed, you will need to do motion and flexibility exercises and gradually start to strengthen your biceps. Athletes can usually begin doing sports-specific exercises after six weeks, although it will be three to four months before the shoulder is fully healed.
Looked it up on google for you. I couldn't advise you on the second opinion, but it might be worth it. Is it actually hurting you at the moment?

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks wescott.

I actually saw that site earlier, and i'm still interested in people who have actually had the injury/surgery.

In terms of pain, no it doesn't hurt. Ok, i get a little tweak sometimes on CGBP or shoulder press, but that's pretty much always been there with some loose shoulder joints. I squat/dead/bench back at my normal weights, to failure and such, although if it's a day when it feels funny, i take it easy.

The doctor said that the labrum actually just kinda acts as a cup around the shoulder ball, that the shoulder ball is up against a semi-flat surface, and that doesn't give too much stability, so the labrum is a curved area that provides the horizontal and vertical stability for the shoulder joint.

Kowboysup

Reaction score
I tore the labrum in the back of both of my shoulders playing high school football.

Never got the surgery, and I'm glad. Yes, sometimes my shoulders are uncomfortable, but I have heard plenty of stories about people that get shoulder surgery and still have discomfort. After a few months I could go back to throwing things, and can now throw a baseball like I used to when I was a pitcher, and lift without it bothering me.

I'm not going to tell you whether to get it or not. All I can tell you is that I didn't get it and don't feel sorry for it.