Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

too smart?

Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay I'm not here to brag or anything but to get advice.
========================
Lately, I've noticed that some people don't like talking to me because of the following reasons:

*I use words that are too big and they get confused
*I use words they do not know the meaning of
*I'm talking about something they do not know about
*I think more than they do...I notice things about the world they do not. Thus meaning I'm more imaginative or creative.
*Have more of a philosophy about life
*Just have a more diverse knowledge than some others. Ex: Water does not actually move...(Okay guys I'm NOT going to explain this now)
*I am a MUCH more deep person than the person I am talking to.

Basically it makes me have a hard time trying to communicate with others, not just girls. I've gotten a bit better at socializing but I'm still not good. And I do know I have an above average IQ.
I do not usually ask for advice, but this is important for life in general.

Any ideas guys?

baracus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Void
========================
Lately, I've noticed that some people don't like talking to me because of the following reasons:

*I think more than they do...I notice things about the world they do not. Thus meaning I'm more imaginative or creative.
*Just have a more diverse knowledge than some others. Ex: Water does not actually move...(Okay guys I'm NOT going to explain this now)

Basically it makes me have a hard time trying to communicate with others, not just girls. I've gotten a bit better at socializing but I'm still not good. And I do know I have an above average IQ.

Any ideas guys?
They don't like talking to you because you're a prick. Anyone that bothers to make a list like this is an obvious douchebag.

Get over yourself, son. There are plenty of smarter and more imaginative people than you out there in this world (hence, "better than you" as you somehow seem to equate these qualities with value).

jprjrjr

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Void
========================

Any ideas guys?
Since you like big words so well, look up PEDANTIC. It describes you well. You might also want to look up PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL.

baracus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DrBeard
U gotta talk street, mix some rhymes to a beat, kicking it like a pimp, not sum intellectual symp. Get with da freestyle rap, cus yo poncey boy talk is crap. You can dance the dance and do the walk, but da chicks go wild for da gangsta talk!

Word!
DrBeard in da muthafruckin' house!!!
What ya'll nigguz know 'bout the Tiger Game, biotches?!!

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by baracus
DrBeard in da muthafruckin' house!!!
What ya'll nigguz know 'bout the Tiger Game, biotches?!!
english plz.

Skweints

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hah, yeah... see, your problem is, you say your smart, you hold yourself up higher than everybody else. And then you wonder why everybody else has a problem with it. Basically, what you are doing, is bragging about yourself, ironically, in an attempt to get someone to agree with you and make you feel better inside. How do I know this? I used to be the same way. You're bragging about yourself for acceptance. Well, son, nobody wants to hear it. I mean, honestly, who gives a F*CK if water moves or not? What a boring ass topic of conversation. People don't care about how "smart" you are. They'll care if you're a fun guy to hang out with, though. Who cares about your "philisophical views on life." Who cares that you think you're a "deep" person. That's why nobody wants to talk to you.

You asked for the advice, and if you can't take it, which you'll probably get pissy about because I know how much it hurts when someone insults my intelligents, much like what I'm doing to you right now, but my best advice for that is to suck it up, and swallow it down with your pride.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
==================*I use words that are too big and they get confused

---So learn how to use simple words. The mark of true intelligence is being able to make a total simpleton understand the most abstract concepts.

---So stop using them if you know they aren't going to understand them.

---So talk about a topic they can relate to.

---If you thought as much as you think you do, then you would have thought out how to fix this problem already. Where's your imagination when it's time to imagine a way to get out of this?

---not MORE of one. Just a different one.

---Not only is that elitism, but that's not even correct. If water doesn't really move, then explain to me why me aiming a high pressure hose at your face would hurt like hell.

---No, you are just ASSUMING you are. No wonder nobody wants to hang out with you. You don't know the meaning of the words "humility" or "common sense". Life is more than just book knowledge. Instinct is just as important.

Originally posted by DrBeard
U gotta talk street, mix some rhymes to a beat, kicking it like a pimp, not sum intellectual symp. Get with da freestyle rap, cus yo poncey boy talk is crap. You can dance the dance and do the walk, but da chicks go wild for da gangsta talk!

Word!
Coo! Coo! Coo!

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My mom has relatively the same problem and so does my cousin (somewhat). My mom loves to brag about all her computer skills, math skills etc, loves to use big words, and, probably her personal favorite, is she loves correct people. She also seems to look down on people whose jobs are "lower" then hers, although it does seem to be focused almost entirely on teachers and nurses. While she does seem to have somewhat of a good idea of what she can and can't do, just about everyone that meets her would say that she comes off as very arrogant. However up until recently it seems, my mom had almost no idea how arrogant she came off as to other people. But now that she has somewhat of an idea as to how she can come off to other people, she has changed her attitude a little bit, but for the most part she seems to more have embarced it (she'll talk about how arrogant she is now, where as before she never even brought that up).

This might not be relevant but, I needed to vent and also this somewhat of a good example as to how people might see you through their eyes.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
analytical va. emotional intelligence

Yeah, I concur with Metal Fortress.

I'm guilty of the same sort of thing at times, but consider it a handicap, rather than something to flaunt. Too much analytical intelligence can be a curse, especially without the equivalent emotional intelligence to hold the arrogance in check. But emotional intelligence can be developed over time with a bit of self-awareness.

Work on your social skills instead, and seek company among those who can relate.

Please define your terms, rgeere. We're not al psych PhDs. If I recall correctly, asperger syndrome is a condition in which one is relatively oblivious to social cues.

Do explain how "water does not actually move." I thought all matter is constantly moving.

Keeper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo!

Changing speaking habbits can be a total bytch! Believe me, I know.

I used to brain fart a helluva lot. (Used things like: um, eh, you know, like, like, like. Like, it's all like cool, duuude!)

And then I actually bought that Voice Training tape that David DeAngelo reccomends. (Yeah, I know :( ) And what I learnt there was that you have to consciously try to change.

So everytime you use a big word: repeat the sentance the word was in ten times. Then say it ten times with a different, smaller word.

Whenever you talk about rocket science: mentally go over where this conversation might lead, and then skip on ahead. :p

If people ask what you're doing, just tell them you're trying to change speaking habbits. Most people will actually encourage you. LoL..

So no worries...

...Smart-a$$

earthshyne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The peculiar thing about communication is the understanding of an odd conundrum: It is up to the sender to ensure that the receiver understands the message, regardless of the abilities, background and "filters" that the receiver may have.

In short, if you're not making yourself understood, you're the only one that can change.

So lighten up. Relax. You're not in English or History or Philosophy class all day long.

Personally I don't like the idea of 'gansta-slang' because with that comes some pretty awful baggage. But you don't have to change your personality or speaking style immediately, 180 degrees. Small steps, man. Small steps.

Lemme give you a f'rinstance: If you're discussing, say, the weather, you could say, "The meteorologist has predicted a sharp drop in temperatures over the next number of hours, which may result in some precipitation and high winds out of the northwest."

Or, you could say, "It's gonna get cold and snowy."

The message is the same. But which is easier to understand?

(BTW... I'm a writer and editor. If you need some pointers, pm me and I'll try to help if you wish.)

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(chuckling)

This reminds me of a joke I did in college, when I was studying meteorology.

I used to present the weather sometimes on our college radio station, and had a bit of a reputation for off-the-wall humor. Once I made the forecast as technical as possible, with a barrage of meteorological mumbo-jumbo, and ended it up with "...which means we're likely to have some rain, starting (whatever time) with a high of (whatever temperature)."

arq-dj1

Don Juan
Reaction score
about the water, he may be relating to ocean or lake waters... well whatevah

I'm graduating in economy, i read a lot phylosofy(i thinks its wrong how im spelling it) and sociology... yes, i have a lot of terms and i am very good in creating thoughts and expressing myself

however mate, consider this. If u are so smart, how couldn't u realise that u have to adapt communication depending on the person ur talking to. Not to mention putting away all ur phylosofys and big words(meaning words related to the subjects that u have to dominate, words that imply deeply prior studies) away since ppl are not interested in that... if any day someones bring up the subject, then u talk about that...

u can have all the knowledge in the world, but u showed u don't have wisdom
u always can learn from ppl, never see ppl less them what they are, u know why?
U DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE

som1 u think is stupid may be very intelligent and full of shyt, in addiction he knows that he don't need to say and talk big words and subjects to impress people

there always a time for everything, there are times u talk the big talk, there other times u say crappy shyt...

position urself, man

EverywhereMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think most of the points have been said already. However, I would put my advice in a way that assumes that you are doing your best to communicate (i.e. not *trying* to show off, but appearing so):

Somewhere along the way of your life, you might have decided that you aspired to a certain ideal conversation. If you meet people with the same aspiration, then fine, but most people you meet will just want to share experiences and talk about the future and talk about hobbies, etc. Just the simple stuff.

There's beauty in simplicity, and once you decide to 'dumb down' (bad choice of words, but you know what I mean), you may find you enjoy it.

I imagine that every time you talk to someone at the moment, you break your back to say the 'perfect' thing. You do this maybe not to show off, but to make it a great conversation.

However, take a look around, and not many other people are doing this! They're just taking it easy and letting it flow. With this knowledge, you can either decide to continue trying your hardest, or you can let it go, and let it flow.

I advise you to take a look at the many many posts about conversation on this forum, they're great.