To the male models on here...

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The other day I got scouted and I got accepted into an agency...Its funny though cause Ive been scouted before and I couldnt see myself doing it, but I just went ahead with it anyways...So whats the biz like and what should I expect? I already know that it might take time for things to pop off, but I, willing to put the work in cause they picked me for a reason...

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheInfamousCBear
The other day I got scouted and I got accepted into an agency...Its funny though cause Ive been scouted before and I couldnt see myself doing it, but I just went ahead with it anyways...So whats the biz like and what should I expect? I already know that it might take time for things to pop off, but I, willing to put the work in cause they picked me for a reason...
if they ask u to "pay to get yourself in the business" dont do it, scam.

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: To the male models on here...

Originally posted by RaWBLooD
if they ask u to "pay to get yourself in the business" dont do it, scam.
We have to pay about $500 to start, but this is what we get for it...

- 2 Workshops for basic skills
- Pro photographer pics (clothing and all that stuff included) for
your Portfolio
- Web page/Online Portfolio so clients can see you

Plus its not like modeling school where you pay alot of money and you still might not get accepted in an agency...The one Im in sees if you got what it takes and then they train you or whatever you wanna call it...

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Expect to make no money, unless you're one of the chosen ones! Male models do not make the cash, the female models make! Cologne ad campaigns is where the cash is at, as well as TV commericals!

Shoot me a PM, if you have any other questions!

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was scouted for a modelling competition in February and my ex-girlfriend (a model) was intending to get me enlisted into an agency - before we broke up. I'm totally camera shy and wasn't comfortable with it anyway to be honest so it wouldn't have worked.

However, my gf explained the deal - either you provide the agency with a portfolio or pay them to do it for you, then they would take a percentage of any jobs they found.

As for the business I can't give you a first hand account, but from my gf's perspective work isn't regular, it isn't much fun and there is a lot of pressure to keep in shape, sleep well and generally look good on demand, so it has a big control over your lifestyle. There is also a lot of travelling involved and a lot of (sometimes harsh) rejections.

It's great for the ego and status obviously, but unless you hit the big time it's not a good career move.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: To the male models on here...

We have to pay about $500 to start, but this is what we get for it...

- 2 Workshops for basic skills
- Pro photographer pics (clothing and all that stuff included) for
your Portfolio
- Web page/Online Portfolio so clients can see you

Plus its not like modeling school where you pay alot of money and you still might not get accepted in an agency...The one Im in sees if you got what it takes and then they train you or whatever you wanna call it...
its a scam bro
dont forget i warned u.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: To the male models on here...

We have to pay about $500 to start
Here's some advice from a photographer who's seen and heard close to everything...

Don't pay.

Any legitimate modeling agency won't ask you to pay a single cent. They'll be happy they found a fresh face, and they'll want to market you immediately - regardless of your experience (or inexperience as the case may be). There is a world filled with "modeling agencies" that cater to people who would like to consider themselves models... no offense meant to you, but you know where I'm coming from. Fat girls who think that they could be Paris Hilton lookalikes... hell, just think about All-Star cheerleaders. They're usually the fatties who normal cheerleading squads wouldn't take...

Trust me, unless the modeling agency you're thinking of signing with is willing to give you a contract in writing that states that you will make a minimum of $XXXXXX, forget about it. If they aren't just trying to make quick money off of aspiring models then they'll be able to give you that written guarantee easy - they'll have companies and contracts already written that they need to fill. If they're a fly-by-night agency then there's no way they'll be able or willing to do that.

skeeloo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
its a scam, especially after you mentioned the modelling training thing all you really need is your portfolio and they should do the rest free for you, modelling school is rubbish and wont take you anywhere you should investigate different types of scams there are b4 you get into modelling,
even though there are portfolio scams, some agencies still expect you to get a potfolio after you are on thier books especially if you arnt in newyork or la, if its a small agency then they wont pay your portfolio for you youd have to get it yourself think of it like investing in your own portfolio not all agecncys pay for your portfolio because they think if they did you might leave them and they gave you a free portfolio while you get another agencie so in some cases you have to pay for your own portfolio.
but in the case of this particular agency... it sounds like fraud but im not sure give it a shot and then youll know what next to do
if infact its fraud thenfind another agency and ask for thier clients.and report this agency so another person dont fall prey to them
modelling shouldnt be taken as a first job it should be a side thing.
besides 500 seem alott find a portfolio btw 300 to 200

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: To the male models on here...

Originally posted by diablo

Trust me, unless the modeling agency you're thinking of signing with is willing to give you a contract in writing that states that you will make a minimum of $XXXXXX, forget about it. If they aren't just trying to make quick money off of aspiring models then they'll be able to give you that written guarantee easy - they'll have companies and contracts already written that they need to fill. If they're a fly-by-night agency then there's no way they'll be able or willing to do that.
On the contract, it says that we get 80% of the pay...But check this out though, I got it off the agency website...

Question: I’ve heard that if an agency wants you, they pay for everything!
Answer: Sometimes NY agencies will shoot models and pay the upfront costs. That is with models signed on an exclusive basis only. The model has an account with the agency, when the model works, any money for not only photography, but for overnight shipments of portfolios, comp cards, EVEN LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS ARE DEDUCTED from the check. As soon as the model works, the money is paid back to the agency, any money left goes to the model.
By paying for your own test shoots, you have possession of the images and portfolio. Most models sign with more than one agency, it is far better for you to own your portfolio.

Heres a link to the whole site...www.amgdevelopment.net

modelling shouldnt be taken as a first job it should be a side thing.
Yeah, I just wanted to do it on the side cause unless you make it really big you need to get money in on a regular basis to keep the bills paid...Plus if people are willing to give you money to take pics of you I say why not, lol...As long as they dont make me do something I dont want to do cause Im not doing it...

besides 500 seem alott find a portfolio btw 300 to 200
This is what they say we get, its a little long...

1. Beginner and Intermediate Workshop to Learn:
Interviewing Techniques
Model Terminology
Training on Payment Vouchers and Procedures
Modeling Categories and Markets
Posing Techniques for Photo Shoot
Self Promotion

2. Digital Test Shoot
2 Looks (Outfits)
Inside Studio Type Shooting
Photography Converted to Digital CD for Easy Storage

3. Award Winning Website and Web Page Includes:
Immediate Booking Capabilities for Fortune 500 Clients
National/International Exposure
Self Promotion Tools
Fast and Convienient Customer Service
Easy Updating Personal Contract Information

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agencies do not ask for money! If you are marketable, they front you money(portfolio, plane ticket, hotel room, etc)--until you start getting jobs and making money!

The money is better then your average job, but you will not get rich--unless you are a 1 of about 100 or so male models who do make upper 6 figures- low 7 figures.

You will be shipped off to Europe or Asia where you will stay for several months trying to gain exposure and build your portfolio! If you like to travel and are adventurous, and can market yourself, it's worth the trouble!

Who are the agencies, if you don't mind me asking?

Mr. Mystery II

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently got excited about being recruited by AMG. But I have passed the excitement phase and started thinking rationally.

www.artistmanagementinc.com

This is the site for my "AMG" management agency I was given...

Smells like a scam to me. One thing that really bothered me was the sh!tty office they had. If they were successful, why was their office so dirty? That and after the open call when they asked me to come back and talk to them they started asking me for money to get added to their system so they could start sending me out to open calls for extra roles in movies.

I still haven't told my contact there that I'm not interested, I just told them I don't have the money right now. Next time I talk to them I'm gonna grill them pretty hard about where my money is going and if they can give me some references I can talk to in person, I doubt I'll get much cooperation from them. They will undoubtedly feed me some dream chasing BS and *****foot around the subject.

I believe it is a scam and I'm in the same situation as you. I've been told I should model by alot of people. And that is why these scam agencies go after people like us, because we will buy into it. They prey on our vanity and dreams.

If you are serious about modelling, build a portfolio on your own and start trying to get into the business the hard way, by hitting as many agencies as hard as you can trying to get some real actual representation.

Mr. Mystery

DJ4Real

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very much so a scam. Check bbb.com . Search up the grade they have as a company.

Prophett

Don Juan
Reaction score
somewhere in-between where I started and where I a
Sometimes there isn't any thing wrong with beginner models paying for their own portfolios and/or comp cards. It really depends on the agency (i.e. if it's a high fashion editorial agency or a commercial modeling agency-this is the case with the latter).

However, hate to break it to you, but this modeling school business is bollicks. Seriously, they are scam artists. They know they can't get you any work so they will derive their income from these bs modeling classes they are offering (that should have tipped you off). Any reputable agency will see you as an investment and therefore be willing to take a chance (albeit a a well assessed one) on you. When you buy a company's stock do you ask the company to pay you a little fee upfront to insure that you will recoup on your purchase; no, that would be utterly ridiculous!!

Another popular scam conducted by these specious agencies is requesting that you need special photographs that can conveniently be taken by photographers they recommend. Most of the time these photographers are working in conjunction with the agencies (sometimes if they are brash enogh and know they have a real sucker on their hands they won't even deny it).

Dude, I even have a story involving an agency like this. Now I am an actor but sometimes modeling can be a great supplimental career if you have the right look (now, I am a pretty good looking guy but I am 5 9 which is a big drawback in the modeling field, except for commercial, so I was always a little wary).

Anyway, I met with the agency and the director of the agency took a look at my headshots and basically said that they were unprofessionally done-now, my pictures were taken by a family friend who has taken portrait shots for celebrities like samuel jackson, julie delpy, and 50 cent. At once upon hearing that, a little bell went off in my head. Moreover, he tells me I won't be able to get any real work unless I get better pictures and a comp card (a special picture composite for models). Even though my suspicion had risen a little I was still rather intoxicated by that ego boost of possibly becoming a model as well as a little desperate (don't ever get caught up in that ****) and the director was really friendly and seemed well informed about the business (relatively to myself because back then I didn't know jack ****).

So anyway, I agree to sign with him and take the pictures with the "great" photographer he recommended who get this, just coincidentally happened to be in the same building on the same floor as the agency - ain't that just a big ass red flag waving in front my face?!

Still a little naive I decide to go through with it and I get the photograpaher's number which happens to be the same number as the modeling agency's except for a slight variation on the last 2 digits (basically a fvcking extension!!). Despite this being brought to my attention, I still decide to give them the benfit of the doubt (dumb!!)- I rationalize and figure that maybe they used to work together or it's just because they are in the same building.

So I meet up with the photographer and she seems to be an ok person at first; she had a small space set up with a camera and a mini sized square background (in hindsight, knowing what I know now about the business, that should have been another big ass red flag considering the fact that most reputables photogs have studios that are fully landscaped in white as opposed to a small space that barely covers a wall).

I find out the price and it's like 350 dollars and this was my parent's money I was spending ...so I started asking a lot of questions. Now there were a lot of suspicion answers that inevitably tipped me off but the following two sealed the deal. Firstly, I asked what qualified her as a good photog and if she was in anyway affiliated with the agency that I was about sign up with. Her answer to the first question was, " I am a photographer, that's what I do". Seriously what the **** kind of answer is that?! The answer to the second one was absolutely not. Perhaps
I would have believed the validity of her second answer if not for the utter ridiculousness of her answer to the first question.

Needless to say, I got the hell outta of there. Lol and the funny thing is that in the following week I was barraged with like a million calls from this b1tch and everytime I checked my caller id her number came up listed under the name of the modeling agency. One time when I confronted her she just flat out denied it and gave a bunch of bs reasons my baby cousins wouldn't even fall for.

Well I never went back to those crooks. Anyway, I did research, discovered some reputable agencies, tried my hand and was accepted by one but decided to opt out since I scored an ok job just in time and in all seriousness the lives of most models aren't that fulfilling..maybe in the future when I get broke again lol But anyways, this should serve as a lesson because more often than not these modeling agencies are scams and the majority of them won't be as sloppy and stupid as the one that tried to bilk me. They will be more sophisticated- so just be on the look out and always ask questions.

p.s. I think you said that according to your contract you get to keep 80 percent of your pay (another red flag; I believe agencies are required by law to be entitled to 10 percent). Check out model network.com. Also, I believe there is a site with a list of scam artist agencies that have been collated over the years thanks in part to countless victims. I forget the url so just google it.

peace

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Mystery II
I recently got excited about being recruited by AMG. But I have passed the excitement phase and started thinking rationally.

www.artistmanagementinc.com

This is the site for my "AMG" management agency I was given...

Smells like a scam to me. One thing that really bothered me was the sh!tty office they had. If they were successful, why was their office so dirty? That and after the open call when they asked me to come back and talk to them they started asking me for money to get added to their system so they could start sending me out to open calls for extra roles in movies.

I still haven't told my contact there that I'm not interested, I just told them I don't have the money right now. Next time I talk to them I'm gonna grill them pretty hard about where my money is going and if they can give me some references I can talk to in person, I doubt I'll get much cooperation from them. They will undoubtedly feed me some dream chasing BS and *****foot around the subject.

I believe it is a scam and I'm in the same situation as you. I've been told I should model by alot of people. And that is why these scam agencies go after people like us, because we will buy into it. They prey on our vanity and dreams.

If you are serious about modelling, build a portfolio on your own and start trying to get into the business the hard way, by hitting as many agencies as hard as you can trying to get some real actual representation.

Mr. Mystery
You live in DC/Nova area right? So you got scouted too? Damn thats crazy...

Reaction score
No its not a scam. Its just a waste of $500.

I have a friend who is a male model. So far he paid around $2300 since he started 2 years ago. Hes only made $900 from a 30sec "im loving it" commercial by mcdonalds.

-$1400 form all the "work" hes been doing. Pretty sweet eh? If youve got around $1400 to spend on nothing you should go ahead and do it.

You have to diet, keep in excellent shape. Have alot of promising auditions (which are conviently located far away) that dont go anywhere... overall it sounds like a great job.

Reaction score
Originally posted by DrBeard
male models are ponces! they think they can get the women but they are pwatty bwois who have no balls and women dont like em!
Whoops! Forgot about that. Yeah, thats one of the upsides of male modeling. I mean think about it. Before you didnt think you could get women and you didnt. Now you think you can and you still dont. :up: