Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

To the entrepreneurs: I'm becoming 27, now what do I do?

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi gents,

Long time no see... In a few days I'm becoming 27, I've done a job for the last 3,5 years which takes me around the globe and puts me in a position above my level (technical superintendent of a big working boat). So far, life has been good, although I've become a massive workaholic, working 14 hours per day. Last year I worked 275 days in total, at that schedule. I've got to the point I wanted to achieve, be responsible for the biggest vessel of this type and now... I'm fed up :crazy: . The job has taught me a lot of things and I’m grateful for the experience I’ve had, but I feel it’s time for something new.

Considering my devotion my boss is of course trying to get the most out of me, pushing me to work even more. Now I'm teaching the new guys how to do the job, but the ridiculous part is, they're earning more than me (25% more), because I have a lower degree. Anyway, that's aside the point, but it has helped me make my decision that I want to quit (and I have given my resignation). I talked to my boss about this wage difference and told him he has to bring me to the same amount or I'm out, he said no, I said bye.

And honestly, I'm tired of working on somebody else his dream and not my own. I would like to start a business on my own, that's my dream, try to help people while doing my own thing. But my problem is I don't know in what. I don't have anything that I specifically like an extreme lot, and my old profession does require boats to which I of course don't have the capital, so that's no option. I do have ideas that I think could work:
- Nondestructive measurements (Can't lose too much money on this one)
- Mechanical designer (I think I need to work in a designer company for a while first though, smarter to learn the techniques from them first)
- Study on my own on the subjects I prefer (C++, tribologics, thermodynamics, regenerator theory, chemistry)
- Study specific topics which interest me at a college (C++, tribologics, thermodynamics, regenerator theory, chemistry)
- Try again for my masters...

- (my last craziest idea: start a brewery in Brazil in the city my gf is from... I know you think it's stupid, but I honestly think it can work)

I've also thought about taking a year off and working on my skills, because due to my job I've not had the time to do so yet. I have raised a good capital now, so I can do what I want now, enough to pay my next education. In the past I've made the decision to learn technical things such as mechanical design, yet I was always better at programming. I did this because I thought I could learn programming on my own and in the short time I've had, I have learned C++. Of course I still have to work more on it but I have a good basis which I would really like to work more on. My family is not supporting me much and is pushing me to get a job AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, but then again, it's my life.

So what do I do? Any advice please?

On top of these decisions I have to make, my gf is Brazilian who now lives in Portugal. With my job it's been 'ok' because every 3 months she sees me 1 month, but in this summer she's going back to Brazil. I actually don't really have a home anymore so I wouldn't mind following her, but it is really a life decision there and I feel that we need to get to know each other a lot more before I can make that one. (She's here until August so I'm better of waiting until then to see if I'm still willing to follow her) Is it crazy to follow your girlfriend to another country? ...

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
John Assuraff{sp?} has some programs on business... take a look and see if there is anything that trips your trigger. It MAY give you an idea or not. Brazil???? not sure what the regulations are on business.... You'd want to check it out before spending money on ANYTHING

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Credos,
Like dating you never jump off your branch till you have another one to hang onto...just taper off your effort,how can you think straight when you are playing eager Bveaver trying to impress?...Brazil?...a brewery?what a dreamer you are,these people don't play by the Marquess of Queensburies rule book!

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Oxide,
"Marriage is the triumph of imagination over Intelligence."for my next post how to nail jello to the ceiling!

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I forgot one idea, I have all the info to develop a program which can predict the damage you will have on a big marine engine with particular fuel. I think making that and putting it on the market could make some decent money and if not I will have learned at least a lot about programming, fuel and engines so it wouldn't be a waste of time.

I knew that brewery idea is crazy and I'm not jumping on anything without researching first. Thanks for the input so far guys.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Credos said:
I forgot one idea, I have all the info to develop a program which can predict the damage you will have on a big marine engine with particular fuel. I think making that and putting it on the market could make some decent money and if not I will have learned at least a lot about programming, fuel and engines so it wouldn't be a waste of time.

I knew that brewery idea is crazy and I'm not jumping on anything without researching first. Thanks for the input so far guys.
any sort of robust systems to detect early signs of damage I would imagine could have some demand. With that in mind, research what kind of systems exist as there probably is something that does this in some capacity. But since you actually work with the technology, this puts you in the "know" and could feasibly do something in this space.

Start with the end in mind, and make it happen. Programming is something you can teach yourself. As you said, at the very worst, you have something in your portfolio to build credibility, and a whole dearth of new skills to use on any venture of your choosing.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scaramouche said:
Dear Oxide,
"Marriage is the triumph of imagination over Intelligence."for my next post how to nail jello to the ceiling!

I'm not following. The quote in my sig is from when I was 23. Seven years ago.