Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Tired of CRAPPY shakes? Here's a good one!

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ingredients:

2 cups lowfat milk
1/2 cup oatmeal
couple big spoons of lowfat yogurt
1 banana

Nutrition:
450 calories
25 grams of protein

I realize that some of you guys will ask "but wheres the whey protein?" Although I dont agree with the idea that you need whey (considering I average 140 plus grams without any sort of protein supplement), go ahead and add a serving in if you feel really desperate.

Note: I commonly like to drink this shake after an afternoon workout. It provides great nutrition for someone during the night.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do you post this garbage?

Your knowledge of training is limited at best.

Unless you weigh 140 lbs or are a sedentary pud, 140g of protein a day is NOT ENOUGH FOR A WEIGHT TRAINING ATHLETE. (especially if you are a teenager) .. What? Are you going to build muscle out of thin air?

450 calories is way too much calories for a bedtime shake. Especially since it's only got 25g of protein - meaning that the bulk of the rest of the calories are coming from carbs... and low-glycemic carbs at that.. PRECISELY WHAT YOU DON'T WANT IN A POST WORKOUT SHAKE

... It's also got way too much sugar for a nighttime shake (the banana and lactose overkill) - and finally, what the hell are you going to do with all that oatmeal while you sleep?? It's just going to sit there.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you take this after an afternoon workout as you say, there is no way that it is going to be working overnight. Even longer acting proteins arent going to stay in the system for what could be over 12 hours (nowhere near it) based on your assertion that you take it after an afternoon workout. Can't quite work that one out!

Of course, whey protein is not necessary all the time but after a workout is precisely when you do need it. However, I would have no qualms in taking such a shake at other times - perhaps earlier in the day.

Sorry you seem to be getting a bit of a hard time for your troubles lol!

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diesel, then can you provide some info of WHAT to put into a post workout shake then.

Remember, its easy to criticize.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A good postworkout shake should have a minimum of 40 grams of protein... ideally in whey form because it's the easiest for the body to digest. The whole point of this is to take advantage of your body's anabolic window post training.

As for carbs you want around 60-100g of HIGH GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBS in there such as dextrose (ideal), bananas, or some fruit juice (grape, pineapple..)

Here's my post workout shake: (keep in mind I weigh 260 lbs. less according to weight - or if you're a hardgainer you may want to try this...)

1 Packet of Myoplex Plus (Strawberry Cream)
1 Scoop of Phosphagen HP (Fruit Punch Flavor)
1 cup skim
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup of frozen strawberries or blueberries (optional)
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups water
1 scoop Optimum 100% Whey (strawberry)

About 70 g Protein, 80-90 grams of carbs (of which at least 60 are HIGH GLYCEMIC)

1 hour after that shake.. I will have another shake as follows..

2 scoops Optimum Pro-Complex Whey Protein (Chocolate) w/ 1 cup skim and 1/2 cup water, some crushed ice, and a teaspoon of chocolate syrup.
eat with a small oven-baked potato on the side.

and about 90 minutes after that I'll eat a regular meal...

That's how you eat post-workout to get big....

I've shoveled at least 40% of my daily calories in the 3 hour post-workout period... notice how there is very little fat in those shakes... all that does is slow down the absorption process.. I'll have fat with my first solid meal 2.5 hours after my workout.

peace,
D

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting post workout nutrition Diesel. Looks a winner. I may try the inclusion of the second shake. Do you think the addition of the skimmed milk immediately after the workout has any effect upon the absorption of the whey?

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DIESEL:

Perhaps you could explain to me what is so wrong with my shake. It has both high and low glycemic carbs in it...And it has good protein from the milk, as well as very low fat. Seems like a fantastic way to add some mass.

jive

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL
450 calories is way too much calories for a bedtime shake. Especially since it's only got 25g of protein - meaning that the bulk of the rest of the calories are coming from carbs... and low-glycemic carbs at that.. PRECISELY WHAT YOU DON'T WANT IN A POST WORKOUT SHAKE

... It's also got way too much sugar for a nighttime shake (the banana and lactose overkill) - and finally, what the hell are you going to do with all that oatmeal while you sleep?? It's just going to sit there.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Templeton
Interesting post workout nutrition Diesel. Looks a winner. I may try the inclusion of the second shake. Do you think the addition of the skimmed milk immediately after the workout has any effect upon the absorption of the whey?
Not according to anything I've ever read... the big culprit is fat, rather than the lactose carbs or casein proteins in the milk. I pretty much add it for the extra calories and protein (even if those 8 grams are primarily casein proteins and not whey) not to mention flavor.

When I start cutting up, then I just kill the milk and extra fruit.

The second shake is key, given that your body can process whey in about 45 minutes - probably even faster post workout. Why not hit it with another blast of protein 60-90 minutes after that first workout to take advantage of your body's anabolic state ?

Note how you don't need as much carbs in your second shake as you do in the first one - presumably an infusion of a lot of high-glycemic carbs immediately post workout would have gotten your blood sugar levels/ glycogen reserves back to normal.

For this second shake you just a need little bit of carbs 25-40g as insurance - i.e. "the protein sparing effect"

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
DIESEL:

Perhaps you could explain to me what is so wrong with my shake. It has both high and low glycemic carbs in it...And it has good protein from the milk, as well as very low fat. Seems like a fantastic way to add some mass.
There is nothing wrong with your shake, per se. However, IT IS NOT THE BEST AVAILABLE OPTION - it's sort of like driving a Hyundai when you could be driving a Benz-o.

Here's the list why:

1. No whey in the shake at all - all your protein sources come from milk - i.e. casein - a very slow digesting protein.. good for bedtime, bad for postworkout.

2. Not enough proteins for the amount of calories - Your postworkout shake should at least get 40-45% of its calories from protein (at least 80% of that being from whey) - yours is barely 25% (with less than 10% coming from whey)

3. Your carb sources, also terrible. Lactose and oatmeal are amongst the LOWEST GLYCEMIC carbs available. The only thing you have even close to high-glycemic is a banana.

Basically what I'm saying is that this would be a good "wake up" shake but a crappy post-workout shake. Your body has different nutritional needs then. Speed of absorption and digestibility are the keys, then.

D

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Diesel.

Could you tell me alternatives other than whey?

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The fastest digesting protein, after whey, is egg. So for your post workout meal eat something like 40-50g. dextrose + 10-20 egg whites. Put it all in a blender if you need it to be a shake.

But honestly, do you see how ridiculous this is? Just buy some god damn whhey protein. It is the cheapest protein on the planet. Cheaper than tuna, cheaper than eggs, cheaper than milk. Not only are your gains suffering from a lack of whey, your bank account is too.