THIS IS SO BIZARRE Read at own RISK>

LikerOfWomen

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is really, really stupid.

It had me really interested until he started prattling on about thought waves. They don't exist any more than fire-breathing dragons and the tooth fairy. This is crazy-person-with-a-tinfoil-hat stuff through and through.

I'm a very open-minded person, but there's a big difference between being open-minded and being a sucker for a gimmicky superstition.

The fact that so many people would seriously consider these ideas shows me how horribly our educational system has failed to provide people with an understanding of critical thinking, standards of evidence, and the scientific method.

saki

Don Juan
Reaction score
this is all about positive thinking which DOES influence the brain and our physical reactions.

xanderbaz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LikerOfWomen
This is really, really stupid.

It had me really interested until he started prattling on about thought waves. They don't exist any more than fire-breathing dragons and the tooth fairy. This is crazy-person-with-a-tinfoil-hat stuff through and through.

I'm a very open-minded person, but there's a big difference between being open-minded and being a sucker for a gimmicky superstition.

The fact that so many people would seriously consider these ideas shows me how horribly our educational system has failed to provide people with an understanding of critical thinking, standards of evidence, and the scientific method.
Maybe one of the reasons you came to this board is the fact that your mind is not open to new ideas.
Think about it for a second: Marconi (the guy who invented the radio, if I'm wrong please correct me) was thought to be crazy after he revealed his invention of portable voice; his friends actually took him to a psychiatrist. So calling an idea that is radical and new and damn bold "crazy-person-with-a-tinfoil-hat stuff" doesn't really differ from the same line of thinking that Marconi's friends'.
Reconsider it, apply it. Remember, you have nothing to lose.
Cheers.

wolfie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Marconi proved it with quantifiable, physical results and evidence. This guy's book just gives past examples and forms his own unsupported theory of 'thought-waves' to explain it.
Hell, I could claim the existence of Magic Sugar Fairies and cite my evidence as the existence of the emotion of 'happiness', which is created by unmeasurable, invisible magic fairies.

catch

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A curious subject, you might be intrested in learning about

KINESICS.. the power of silent command! using body language for controle over people!!

PROXIMICS..using area and personal space for power over others.. the structure of silent command!!

body language has become, to say the least, an amazing subject..
watching the sub-concious behaviour can be an edjucating experience..

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, there are no "micro thought wave particle beams" that "seep into the persons head and change their anti-linear organic structure" thereby causing you to like them. If this was true, everyone in society would be walking around with tin foil hats to prevent others from unduly influencing their thought process.

However, what is correct is the person who wrote the book's assumption that when you believe in something enough, it has the tendancy to become true - especially in the case of interpersonal relationships. It's whats called a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you take any basic communications classes in college you'll learn all about it. According to an online dictionary, this is 'a predetermined idea or expectation one has toward oneself that is acted out, thus "proving" itself.'

Nothing more, nothing less. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm taking off my aluminum foil hat.

wolfie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by catch
A curious subject, you might be intrested in learning about

KINESICS.. the power of silent command! using body language for controle over people!!

PROXIMICS..using area and personal space for power over others.. the structure of silent command!!

body language has become, to say the least, an amazing subject..
watching the sub-concious behaviour can be an edjucating experience..
Kinesics is about how you hold and move your body and face to subcommunicate.

Proxemics is about how distances communicate certain relationships.

You might also be interested in paralanguage, which is the non verbal component of speech - i.e voice tonality, speed, inflections and rythym.

disciple

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This really does influence people because it creates what psychologists call a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Basically, if your non-verbal communication and body language says that you are a loser, other people will unconsciously read your non-verbal communication and respond to you as though you are a loser.

The same would apply if your non-verball communication were that of a winner.

The reason it works this way is because body language and non-verbal forms of communication don't speak to the conscious, analytical mind but instead bypass it and speaks directly to your subconscious mind which doesn't analyse incoming messages (that is your conscious mind's job).

So anything that speaks directly to your subconscious tends to be accepted and acted upon as true regardless of whether it is or not.

That explains why people are able to do incredible things while under the influence of hypnosis because the hypnotic suggestions speak to the subconscious mind and bypass the conscious.

So to put it in simple terms, if you practice walking, acting, and thinking like a confident, sexual, charismatic man, your behavior and body language tells your subconscious mind that this is the kind of man that you are and eventually you will carry yourself like this automatically or naturally without thinking about it.

Other people's subconscious minds will pick up on your non-verbal communication and will begin to accept it as true without interference from their rational, logical minds.

Have you ever liked someone but didn't know why you did?

Have you ever not liked someone even though that person never gave you any reason not to?

Have you ever had a funny feeling about someone but couldn't explain why?

This principle is also the reason why is imperative to first change one's self and then how the world, and specifically in our case, hot chicks perceive you will change accordingly.

This also explains why the person with a stronger will usually dominates a person with a weaker will.

The more dominant person's non-verbal communication says that they are dominant and more powerful than the other person and the other person's subconscious picks up on this and accepts it as true without them consciously being aware of it.

I've been in situations where I knew someone wanted to fight me or kick my ass but they looked in my eyes and saw something that made them apprehensive and caused them to think twice.

Then again being 6'2 and 225 of solid man helps also(hahahaha!!!!).

This was a very interesting post.

S0LID

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's dead true!

Darren Brown (u brits know him), was on tv and he had a loosing horse ticket, walked up to the ticket bootyh, looked the woman in the eye and said "this is the winning horse", she gave him 100 pounds. Once the moneys handed they are not allowed there are no returns. So he asked her why she gave him that? She looked stunned and said "you told me to". He was saying he uses it to get women.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This sh1t happens

This, like meteors in the 18th century (when people though anyone was insane to think that "rocks could fall from the sky"), is merely a scientific fact that we are not yet able to explain.

I can cite so many instances of it happening in my own life that there's not space for it in this puny little post.

So I'll just leave with a couple questions:

How many of you have picked up the phone to call a certain individual without either of you having any particular reason to expect a call from the other, and had that person be on the line, having called you at the same time?

Or have you heard from someone you've been out of touch with for a while after you've been thinking of them a lot more than usual, just "out of the blue"?

I've had these things happen too many times to list...

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
xanderbaz:
Marconi (the guy who invented the radio, if I'm wrong please correct me)
It was actually Nikola Tesla who invented the radio, a fact that has been almost forgotten by historians. Nikola had seven patents for the radio but Marconi added on a few things and beat Tesla to the punch in sending a transatlantic message. Hence, Marconi is commonly credited as "inventing" radio. Tesla sued in court and years later the US Supreme Court invalidated Marconi. Tesla invented the radio. But, this is straying off-topic.
Bonhomme:
How many of you have picked up the phone to call a certain individual without either of you having any particular reason to expect a call from the other, and had that person be on the line, having called you at the same time?

Or have you heard from someone you've been out of touch with for a while after you've been thinking of them a lot more than usual, just "out of the blue"?
You may want to read Miracle on Probability Street --

“In the course of any normal person’s life, miracles happen at a rate of roughly one per month.” Dyson explains that “during the time that we are awake and actively engaged in living our lives, roughly for eight hours each day, we see and hear things happening at a rate of about one per second. So the total number of events that happen to us is about thirty thousand per day, or about a million per month. With few exceptions, these events are not miracles because they are insignificant. The chance of a miracle is about one per million events. Therefore we should expect about one miracle to happen, on the average, every month.” --

and Law of Truly Large Numbers.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Calculations

I had a go at calculating the odds of having simultaneous phone calls occur on several occasions, and the odds against such were truly astronomical. Way worse than the odds of winning the lottery. Especially considering that some of those instances occurred when calling people I don't call and don't call me very often.

Transmission of some sort of "thought waves" is the most reasonable explanation I can come up with, and that's my current hypothesis until some better explanation comes up. And "mere coincidence" is too highly improbable in this particular case to be it.

Styles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder about this stuff

To me, people DO seem to be hypnotically inclined...

However, I side with LikerofWomen.

Why in the hell would I waste my precious mind waves on some girl?

No, seriously though...

Lots of freaky mind fvcking **** goes on...

But I really don't care about it enough to try and learn how to control someone's thoughts...

It's a waste.

If some freaky ass miracle happens, the I just simply accept it and not wonder. I take it as probability's gift to me and move on.

xanderbaz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Deep Dish
It was actually Nikola Tesla who invented the radio, a fact that has been almost forgotten by historians. Nikola had seven patents for the radio but Marconi added on a few things and beat Tesla to the punch in sending a transatlantic message. Hence, Marconi is commonly credited as "inventing" radio. Tesla sued in court and years later the US Supreme Court invalidated Marconi. Tesla invented the radio.
Funny thing is, I remembered this fact a few seconds after I finished writing my post, but was too lazy to fix my error. I first thought of Marconi because Napoleon Hill mentions him as the founder of radio in his "Think and Grow Rich" book, which is by the way an excellent read.
Cheers.

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, this is a DJ forum, not geeky science dudes forum. The universe is complicated enough as it is without quantum physics and black holes (and fairies for that matter...)

The point is, i dont realli care if its brain waves or what.

<<IT WORKS>>

Confidence is being comfy in your own skin. If it means little voices in your head, then be it! As long as u dont CONSTANTLY talk to yourself, its fine.

Oh, and listen to "lifeforce," PLEEASE go to the gym. :D

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Calculations

Bonhomme
Transmission of some sort of "thought waves" is the most reasonable explanation I can come up with, and that's my current hypothesis until some better explanation comes up. And "mere coincidence" is too highly improbable in this particular case to be it.
Think about it this way: think of all the times you think about someone and they never call.

KOSR

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Calculations

Originally posted by Deep Dish
Think about it this way: think of all the times you think about someone and they never call.
Are you an atheist?

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It takes 2 to tango, DD

Of course there are lots of times one thinks of someone else and they don't call. And the radio waves for dozens of radio stations are in the air at most any given time, but you won't pick up the signal unless they're transmitting and you're tuned in.

"Skeptics" are hung up on the idea that all this stuff can be done by force of will. Like reading zener cards on cue. :rolleyes: It just ain't that tidy. In fact, I'm inclined to think one cannot do it if they try. I'm convinced it has to be subconscious and unforced. The thought process creates "noise" that obscures the signals. Conscious thought is "louder" brain wave activity.

Still, the most telling phenomena are the simultaneous phone calls.

The probabilities dictate a simultaneous phone call should occur maybe for one call made in the whole United States per year. Not several times for any person within a few years, with many friends reporting the same thing.

Let's run some #s:

This happened with my brother, at a time I was calling him about once a month, and he was calling me about twice a year. Let's say there was about a 1/2 second interval we had to make the call so one of us would pick up the phone before it rang, which is probably a bit generous. There was no particular expectation for either of us to call that day, so it can be treated as random. The odds were shortened by the fact we typically called during weekday evenings and weekend days, about 30 hours of the week.

So, with my making about 1 call per 120 hours of likely calling time, the odds of my calling him within any particular half second during calling hours were about 1/2 second per 120 hours (= 60 min/sec * 60 sec/min * 2 half secs/sec = 1 in 7200). The odds of him calling me in any particular half second were about 6 times longer, or 1 in 43,200. Multiply these for simultaneous occurrence and you get odds of 1/(7200*43,200) = 1/311,040,000. That's about 300 million to 1 odds against this having occurred purely by chance. If he continued to call twice a year, such an occurrence would be expected to occur once in about 150 million years!

This has happened many times for me, usually with the same people. Many friends I know have experienced the same thing. The more common and widespread such improbable occurrences are, the less likely they are artifacts of coincidence. Probability divergence is greatest with the least number of events. I don't know anybody at all who has won a major lottery prize, though probability would dictate it's more likely than even 2 or 3 instances of these simultaneous phone calls. Coincidence is not the most reasonable explanation for these simultaneous phone calls.