Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

this is how screwed up our legal system is

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dante Stallworth, an NFL wide receiver, has too much to drink, kills someone behind the wheel of a vechile, gets 30 days in jail and is still in the nfl

mark peirce, a former arkansas razorback fullback who was just not good enough to play in the NFL, does the exact same thing, gets 22 years.

how can you possibly explain that. neither had records. hell and daunte is black and mark is white.

this is why i dont' put very much weight in someone having a felony record. i've hired felons with great results. alot, not all but alot are people who got ****ecd over. alot of people without records knew someone or just are lucky not to get caught but are just as bad of people.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
how can you possibly explain that. neither had records. hell and daunte is black and mark is white.
Choice/affordability of proper legal representation, the individual facts and circumstances of cases, striking of evidence, along with random assignment of prosecutors and judges are significant factors.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A bit of googling shows that the first guy cooperated with the cops, and plead guilty to manslaughter DUI, while the second guy bolted from the car and ran from the cops after the accident.

And I'm sure the first guy, knowing what a huge blow it could be to his career, had a VERY expensive lawyer dictating his moves every step of the way.

Not sure about the other guy, but it doesn't sound like he could have got anything other than what the state gave him (after the cops chased him down).

That may have something to do with it.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
Dante Stallworth, an NFL wide receiver, has too much to drink, kills someone behind the wheel of a vechile, gets 30 days in jail and is still in the nfl

mark peirce, a former arkansas razorback fullback who was just not good enough to play in the NFL, does the exact same thing, gets 22 years.

this is why i dont' put very much weight in someone having a felony record. i've hired felons with great results. alot, not all but alot are people who got ****ecd over. alot of people without records knew someone or just are lucky not to get caught but are just as bad of people.

Dear OP. There's nothing wrong with our legal system. There is, however, something wrong with you. I am going to assume you are African-American, as those that are skeptical about our legal system are often black.

Perhaps you should do some research before screaming injustice. Pierce had a prior drug conviction and was out on probation at the time that this happened. Then, Pierce proceeded to leave the scene. The dude is doing his best to become a career criminal and is a complete scumbag. So tell me, how exactly are these 2 cases the same.

Problem with a lot of people here in America is you're so quick to point the finger. You're all so desperate to place blame, its sickening.

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:

I understand that this is a sensitive issue for you - but you have to pause and gather information before coming to a conclusion.

The are two reasons why Dante Stallworth received such a light sentence:

1) He did not leave the scene of the crime while Mark Pierce fled the scene on foot (like Wiesman44 mentioned) This is very important in how aggressively the judge will rule against you

2) Dante Stallworth made special amends with the aggrieved party. The victim's family felt no need for retribution, they just wanted Dante to fully learn his lesson. The courts took this into account and rightly so. If you borrow money under a debt agreement, the lender does have the right to override contract law, and relieve you of your debt, if he so chooses.

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wiesman44 said:
Dear OP. There's nothing wrong with our legal system. There is, however, something wrong with you. I am going to assume you are African-American, as those that are skeptical about our legal system are often black.
Having said that, I am surprised you do not acknowledge the bias against blacks, and the bias towards women in our legal system. Can you honestly with a straight face tell Backbreaker that the courts do not generally discriminate against blacks?

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trader said:
Having said that, I am surprised you do not acknowledge the bias against blacks, and the bias towards women in our legal system. Can you honestly with a straight face tell Backbreaker that the courts do not generally discriminate against blacks?
I have my opinions, but they aren't backed by any substantial fact. So, I'll leave it alone. Frankily, I don't really care how biased the courts are (if they are at all). Stay out of trouble and you won't have to worry about which way the courts decide.

Kupid Diggs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't even know why he mentioned race... The black guy got the lighten sentence than the white guy. Was he implying that because Stallworth was black he should of gotten the higher sentence?

Backbreaker you kill me with these posts where you basically drag down black men. You must of forgot the color of your own skin. I guess you wanna be white or something. Oh well just an observation...

JustLurk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wiesman44 said:
Stay out of trouble and you won't have to worry about which way the courts decide.
Sometimes trouble finds you...

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the guy Dante hit was illegally crossing the street- not in a crosswalk, etc. It was the type of case where if Dante had not been drinking @ all there would've have probably been no charges against him or most others that were driving that car.

Powerlifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There are people in this country if you ever were in jail for an offence believe you are the scum of the earth and don't matter the reason either but it's good to know there are level headed employers (backbreaker) who look deeper and hire otherwise good working employees.

Sure there are many who deserve the book thrown at them for an awful offence but being reasonable when judging another maybe coming out of jail is warranted in this world just look at how many have been falsely accused of an offence.

Powerlifter

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So if Mark Pierce didn't run away do you think he would really get 30days behind the bars for killing someone? Sure it might be less than the 22 years he has now but I doubt it would be anywhere near as light as Dante Stallworth's 30 days.

Also the fact that Stallworth killed a man and is still allowed to play on national television in a sport millions of people watch including young kids, don't you find anything morally wrong with that? Its sending the message that if you are good enough at what you do, you can get away with anything! And that's because you'll have all the money and connections to get away. What if any of you were killed in a DUI incident? Will it be really awesome for your family to know that the person that killed you is famous and as a result gets a THIRTY DAY SENTENCE for ending the entirety of your life?

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Powerlifter said:
There are people in this country if you ever were in jail for an offence believe you are the scum of the earth and don't matter the reason either but it's good to know there are level headed employers (backbreaker) who look deeper and hire otherwise good working employees.
If I were an employer, I would never hire a convicted felon. The problem with being an employer looking to hire people, is that you suffer from asymmetric information.

So how do you compensate? By being cautious. Sure, by automatically weeding out felons (or state-school grads for that matter) I might miss out on some black swans who end up turning out to be rockstars, but I protect myself from devastation should my judgment be incorrect. The risk-return just isn't there for me to hire someone like that. The only exception would be if I personally knew the felon, or someone I trusted knew the felon well, then that reduces the risk and information asymmetry.

I am much safer and better off in the long-term sticking to ivy-league grads.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I find most pronounced is the discrepancy between people's line of thinking, between mandatory sentencing guidelines and individual case-by-case evaluations and considerations. As much as people seek to eliminate biases and disparities, they seek to inject and retain the favors of human judgement, which introduces the biases and creates the disparities. It's a perpetual catch-22.
What if any of you were killed in a DUI incident? Will it be really awesome for your family to know that the person that killed you is famous and as a result gets a THIRTY DAY SENTENCE for ending the entirety of your life?
That is an unfair comparison. The family agreed to the sentence, I presume. The family reached an undisclosed settlement prior to the conviction and so the light jail time was part of the packaged deal, which includes eight years of probation, 1,000 hours of community service, and a lifetime driver's license suspension.

manish

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:

On July 10, 2009, Stallworth was released from jail after serving 24 days of a 30-day sentence....This is really bad...u kill some one..and u serve only 24 days..think abt the guy[Mario Reyes, 59] who got killed..abt his family.. feels bad...