Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Thinking of learning a Martial Art - Which One?

aftershock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of learning a martial art. I think it would be a pretty cool thing to do.

Which one would you recommend? Anyone got any links to any basic information or tell me what to expect?

Eb9#5

Reaction score
muay thai

because you will get a great cardio workout + an efective and simple way to defend yoursefl

Randallpink83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i would suggest trying afew diffrent ones out... knowing multiple styles is always cool..

but i would go more for fighting styles that are geared towards cage fighting.. See cage fighting is the closest thing to a REAL street-fight... most martial artist will get their asses stomped by a dirty street fighter.

I've personally been in MANY street fights, I win most the time but I have gotten beat so bad before that I was literally sick and dying for almost 3 days straight.
Matter of fact let me take back the "win most the time" statement.,.. YOU NEVER WIN A FIGHT.. you simply can come out better then your enemy.

wow i'm going off on a rant.

Martial arts is more advanced then just simply FIGHTING... If you really care to learn about what happens in a real fight and how to get used to it.. find a place that is geared towards "All form fighting", cage fighting rules. Good luck!

noneother

Don Juan
Reaction score
perhaps you can tell us what styles will be useful in a 'caged' fight?

Sean O

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For striking, Muay Thai.

For grappling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

If you can only pick one, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

petah2001

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to learn how to hurt others then go along with what other people said.
If you want to strictly have fun with a less effective fighting style try Taekwando or Capoeria.

Charm&Style

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anything that works full body.

my friends in muay thai...loves it...says its an addiction to him.

anyways u should start with some kick boxing..move over to muay thai..and then try some other fields like brizilian jitsu..or shan hi nizo (idk how the fudge u spell it =/ )

Randallpink83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
learning to kick period is pointless... especially those insane dramatic 360 kicks in the air... hahaha I would like to see someone try that in a REAL bar fight.
The only time I MIGHT kick if I was taking someones knee out or stomping onto their foot (like if they holding me from behind). but even in those relatviely safe kicks that are below the waist, you are still psuhing your luck.

Thats why I say martial arts isnt good for learning how to REALLY fight. The stuff they teach is unapplicable.
A GrandMaster at the art might be able to pull off a fancy move.. But you would have to be really good. and lucky, cause rarely do you get in a position where you can pull off a "practiced" move.
I watched a friend fight once, he was a very serious martial artist. But of course, like everybody... as soon as the fighting started all his training went right out the door.. and both men jumped and punched and battle each other like a couple wild dogs.. it was a chaotic and quick fight. The same exact story I have seen many times.. real fights are chaos.

now again i'm not sure if you want martial arts for the fighting ability, or if your taking it up purely as a sport.
whatever you do.. Buy yourself a 100lb body bag. Beat the hell out of that thing. Get your punch strong and lethal. And learn how to attack with Insane power and aggression.
In I fight I usually determine pretty quick that its gonna be fight. I usually ALWAYS punch first, and then I keep punching, ALOT!!! I literally cut the enemy down... Strike first, strike hard and fast.. and keep striking until the enemy is utterly cut down.
Thats the best defense, To completly take the offensive side and remove the threat (the other a$$hole starting crap).

dammit i'm ranting again, but i'm tired of martial artist thinking they are learning something useful... Its all about mentality really.. Be confident.. thats what it boils down to.

and to someone asking what styles are involved in cage fighting... I dont fvcking know. I never cared to take a class on how to fight. But i'm pretty sure cage fighting is a clash of ALL styles... The reason I bring it up is because if you trained in it. It would simulate real life fights. You have two men that can fight however they want and do whatever they want.. the whole point is to win..
only major diffrence from cage fights and street fights is street fights usually start with a sucker punch.

michaelhctam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Definitley Tae Kwon Do

A few of my friends do Tae Kwon Do and they are incredible in it!

What basically sums up Tae Kwon Do is very solid and robotic like movements with very dazziling kicks and high air type kicks (Both intimidating for men but also very attractive to women who like a man of action :p )

But it is quite exhausting after an hour or more of training.

But its worth it, a kick from a Tae Kwon Do master is like getting hit in the chest with a hammer at full human speed.

Raikojo17

Banned
Reaction score
Randallpink83 said:
learning to kick period is pointless... especially those insane dramatic 360 kicks in the air... hahaha I would like to see someone try that in a REAL bar fight.
The only time I MIGHT kick if I was taking someones knee out or stomping onto their foot (like if they holding me from behind). but even in those relatviely safe kicks that are below the waist, you are still psuhing your luck.

Thats why I say martial arts isnt good for learning how to REALLY fight. The stuff they teach is unapplicable.
A GrandMaster at the art might be able to pull off a fancy move.. But you would have to be really good. and lucky, cause rarely do you get in a position where you can pull off a "practiced" move.
I watched a friend fight once, he was a very serious martial artist. But of course, like everybody... as soon as the fighting started all his training went right out the door.. and both men jumped and punched and battle each other like a couple wild dogs.. it was a chaotic and quick fight. The same exact story I have seen many times.. real fights are chaos.

now again i'm not sure if you want martial arts for the fighting ability, or if your taking it up purely as a sport.
whatever you do.. Buy yourself a 100lb body bag. Beat the hell out of that thing. Get your punch strong and lethal. And learn how to attack with Insane power and aggression.
In I fight I usually determine pretty quick that its gonna be fight. I usually ALWAYS punch first, and then I keep punching, ALOT!!! I literally cut the enemy down... Strike first, strike hard and fast.. and keep striking until the enemy is utterly cut down.
Thats the best defense, To completly take the offensive side and remove the threat (the other a$$hole starting crap).

dammit i'm ranting again, but i'm tired of martial artist thinking they are learning something useful... Its all about mentality really.. Be confident.. thats what it boils down to.

and to someone asking what styles are involved in cage fighting... I dont fvcking know. I never cared to take a class on how to fight. But i'm pretty sure cage fighting is a clash of ALL styles... The reason I bring it up is because if you trained in it. It would simulate real life fights. You have two men that can fight however they want and do whatever they want.. the whole point is to win..
only major diffrence from cage fights and street fights is street fights usually start with a sucker punch.
martial arts works better than jus brawling tho. i helps if u kno how to fight and how to react to your opponent instead of just mindlessly swinging and hoping to beat him. in a fight, or anyting competition for that matter, the one who has a calm mind and knows wat he's doing often is more likely to win over the one overcome by anger and panic.

taking a martial art doesnt make u invincible tho, just gives u and upper hand. there's always someone who could kick ur ass, no matter how trained you are.

Cloudtopsun2100

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would think that since most people are going to rushing u with a series of wild punches that a good thing to learn is boxing.. of course u can knee people when u are in close but having good boxing skills means u hitting like a frieght train -- it seems people always end up in a tugging and getting in close-- imagine a trained boxers uppercut on someones chin.or to the ribs.and of course u throw that in with weight training and u can be downright dangerous
do boxing seriously and maybe dabble a bit in judo

Bigworm

Don Juan
Reaction score
you guys r all gay... the best by far is boxin... not muay thui not ju jitsu..
i wanna see you go to the aspahlt ground or in the floor of a club trying to put the man in a submission move. Muay thai i will admit may be good in a open area such a school playground where u could lay out elbows and knees. But if u fightin n*ggas in a club u aint even gonna be able to lift ur legs. The best thing u could do is jack a cat in face with a good hoook or a cross cause thats all youll have time for. the bouncers will come in and take every one out in 30 secs after the fight starts.

SO TAKE BOXING - itll make a man out of you.

Themanthatcan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow.I'm glad you asked.Mixed martial arts.I'm a blackbelt in kickboxing,grappling,weapons,karate,krav-maga.Muay thai+Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu too.

Depends on what area of fighting your into.Kickboxing is probably the best for standup,Muay thai is good for all around fighting, and brazilian jiu-jitsu is awesome for groundfighting.

Freddy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have studied martial arts for years myself.
(like what everyone has said) I would highly recomend Brazilian Jiujutsu and Muay Thai.
I would also recomed Escrima/Arnis if you want to deal with weopon defense.

Arts like Jeet Kune Do, Krav Magda isnt too bad if you mix it the the BJJ and Muay Thai.