Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Thinking of dropping out of college...

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of dropping out of community college. I want to become a golf teaching professional. It seems like college is a waste of time.

I'd have to leave everything behind me (again) and move to San Diego to go to a golf school. It's a huge step, but I'm willing to follow my passion. Simultaniously I also want to educate myself to become a stock investor cuz that's another passion I have.

Is anybody in the golf biz and can give me some tips?

ps: I'm 18 btw...

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you enrolled now? At least finish the semester if leaving would mean failing. If golf does not work out then your gpa will matter. Plus you don't shut the door on school, it will be there for you if you ever want to go back. I am all for pursuing your passion, but the more you have to fall back on, the less pressure it puts on you to succeed in pursuing that passion. Good luck.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Are you enrolled now? At least finish the semester if leaving would mean failing. If golf does not work out then your gpa will matter. Plus you don't shut the door on school, it will be there for you if you ever want to go back. I am all for pursuing your passion, but the more you have to fall back on, the less pressure it puts on you to succeed in pursuing that passion. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I'm enrolled right now and I want to finish the semester and then go here. I don't see why a career in golf wouldn't work out though. I'm not really interested in doing anything else.

My parents are going crazy about it. They want me to stay in college and tell me to get a computer or engineering degree so that I can work in a safe job that I'd totally hate. I'm pretty much on my own though cuz they live thousands of miles away from me.

Last edited:

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
your parents are mad at you for wasting their time and money and resources.
if you received a loan for the schooling that you are dropping out, who is going to pay that off?
if you received a pell grant, then everyone can be upset at you for wasting our tax dollars, which i personally worked hard for and want back.

please finish your semester out like bible belt suggested, then follow your heart and teach rich kids how to hit a ball with a club into a hole out on a hot field.

NINJA PIMPIN

Banned
Reaction score
I also dropped out of college because I knew I could gain more experience (and a salary at the same time) by simply putting myself in the work force.

College is only useful for

A. Fields that require certification
B. Specialized fields that genuinely interest you and you are learning great stuff every day.

Going for the sake of going, or to make your parents happy is not a good reason.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
18 is awfully young to know what you REALLY want to do....

That said, it pisses me off when so many people say that college is the end all be all. If you have aspirations to become an engineer or a doctor or anything like that, then yea, you need a degree, but some people are destined for a different path.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
On the contrary, it's interesting to note that the majority of people who think college is a waste of time are either drop outs or couldn't go in the first place.

But hell, I would love to go to school in San Diego to play golf for a living. Go for it.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
18 is awfully young to know what you REALLY want to do....
Yes it is. I read ten years ago that the average American changes careers at least seven times over a lifetime. Today, it's probably up to ten times.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fuzzx said:
Finish up your degree/diploma, then get a job...then do your golf thing. You probably have no idea what its like to live on your own, pay your own bills, car insurance, food etc etc. Have you ever worked in a factory? Better try that before you think about dropping out. College MAY be a waste of time, I don't have my degree and I do regret it because the field I thought I was going into turned out to be pretty ****ty in the long run. Now I'm doing something else and I could be paid alot more and make my visa applications alot easier if I had gotten my degree. Stay in school, get your diploma/degree... Then do whatever you want. You need something to fall back, unless you fancy working the midnight shift at Dunkin Donuts.

Millions of people around the world would love the opportunity to be able to get an education, ANY education. Your parents are right STAY IN SCHOOL.
I'm gonna finish the semester, but I seriously see it as a waste of money and time.

I have worked in a factory when I was younger and it felt awesome to earn my own money. I have also worked as a golf assistant at my old golf club and loved it, although I didn't want any money.

I don't see why I would waste my time writing about "How to make a PB&J sandwich" or "How to parallel park" could help me in life (That's what we basically do in the English classes)

To my mind the benefits are...

+ working outside

+ meeting new people all the time

+ tell people they suck and show them how to correct their swings

+ lots of job opportunities

+ good money

...now the negatives...

- $$$ depends on the golf club you are in

- takes a while to become head pro

- nothing to really fall back on

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see why I would waste my time writing about "How to make a PB&J sandwich" or "How to parallel park" could help me in life (That's what we basically do in the English classes)
Ah.. well if that's the sort of program you are in then it may indeed be a waste of time and money...

What is your major anyway?

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wutangfinancial said:
Um, college isn't a waste of time if you study a challenging major at an elite school, get internships, and then make a 6 figure salary as an investment banker/management consultant/engineer/software developer/accountant/etc.

I don't want to do that. Why would I work my a$$ off to do something I don't like and sit in an office all day while my days are running out? Although you can also earn a 6 figure salary as a golf head pro I would do it for free. It's not work to me and still I'd get paid for it. Furthermore I merely want to use it as a main source of money to invest.

But yeah, community college is a waste unless you transfer to a flagship state school. Try to get into UCSB and find something your passionate about that also has career placement. That said, anything that seems "cool" when your 18 probably isn't realistic, as millions of other retards probably want to do it. And if a school has to advertise, then it's a total scam.

It's not a scam. That school is actually pretty prestigious and they have a 95% job placement rate once you graduate and it only takes 16months to do it. I also can't afford paying 40k a year just for the sake of going to college. I'd rather invest that money.

Anything that pays well is HARD. Hard to get into, and hard to stay in. That's the real world. Also, what makes you certified to charge money for golf lessons? Rich guys will only pay money if your a world class golfer, not just cuz you went to some retarded training program.

Again, I wouldn't do it just for the money. I'd do it because I enjoy it. Also, it's not a "retarded training" program. It seems like you don't have any idea about the golf biz when you say you have to be a world class golfer. David Leadbetter, a golf teaching guru can't even break 80.

Honestly, college is it worth if your smart and hard working. Otherwise, become a tradesman. But none of this I'm going to be a golf instructor non sense. When I was 18 I thought I was going to be a hip hop producer...and I smoked enough weed to believe it. How do you think that worked out? I'm getting my BA in economics now and studying for the CFA, so..

What steps did you take to actually become a hip hop producer? You sound really bitter because you obviously aren't happy with what you are doing and just do it because of the money.

Precursor

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo wait.. I thought CHris was in a community college..

Thats like not a big deal at all. You can just drop out, or finish your semester, and come back if you need to. It's a community college!! It's only a few hundred at most, nothing compared to state or a university (in terms of costs)

I don't understand this dispute.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If he drops out and gets Fs, then he is basically screwed forever for grad school or anything that requires good grades. A couple months of your life at 18 is not worth fvcking yourself over gpa-wise. But other than that, I agree that leaving JC after the semester is not a big deal.

Wutang also makes a good point that you won't be able to command top prices as an instructor without being accomplished in your play of the game.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suicide said:
On the contrary, it's interesting to note that the majority of people who think college is a waste of time are either drop outs or couldn't go in the first place.
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
iqqi said:
Go for it.

Besides, college is a waste of time, unless you are doing it for the love of knowlege.

Read this.
Terrible article.

Yeah, I'm sure that most of the kids graduating with a B.A. are unemployable. :rolleyes:

I think the author of that article was just pissed that s/he (barely) managed to get an english or journalism degree from "Hollywood Upstairs University".

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, I made my decision.

What can you guys tell me about San Diego? :rock:

The Sperminator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You should only drop out of college if you have a solid plan. If you don't then I suggest you attend. I have a couple of friends who didn't go and are doing very well, running their own business. But I also know a lot who didn't go who are going to be stuck in a dead end job for the rest of their lives. If you think you got a solid plan then go for it but if you don't then I would go to college.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool, good luck with your decision :)

I hope you're a good enough golf player btw, what's your handicap?

-shaun

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oi! I am finishing up my final term at uni...I can't fuggin wait !!! Btw my major is accountancy... I hate it, but I really wanted to do a difficult major just to prove to myself I could do it.

It will be sweet bliss when I graduate !!