Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Thinking about taking an improv class

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a comedy shop in the area that I live that is fairly popular and has some semi-famous performers come through. They offer improv courses for people without any experience in comedy, and I've been thinking about taking one for a while now.

I have some interest in comedy, but I'd be taking it mainly just to improve upon my public speaking. I have a job where I have to speak occasionally in front of large groups of people, and while I'm comfortable in front of crowds, I'm not good at being candid. If I haven't prepared something written or at least some bullet points before speaking, I have a hard time getting my point across.

I've read online that an improv class can really help me out in this department. I've never done toastmasters, but I did do some public speaking courses in college. It just seems like they were only good for preparing people to speak from prepared texts. That's all I got out of it at least.

Like I said, I also have some interest in comedy. I doubt I'd ever be a stand-up comedian or anything like that, but I could see me getting involved in writing scripts or jokes for a sitcom or something like that.

Thoughts? Has anyone ever taken one before?

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that you should do it.

It would give you multiple new skills, expand on ones you are currently developing, and also you'd make new, interesting friends.

For YOU specifically especially, I'd see it as a BIG win in terms of choices.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A friend of mine took Improv class last year. He's a nerdy, but fairly social guy. It's made him bolder and more articulate, and while we're out performing in public (dancers), I've noticed that he's talking more to the crowd (before that, it was just me and maybe another girl) and he's doing pretty well.

Doing Improv is on my list this year.

Live-n-learn

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've also signed up for an Improv 101 course,spanning over a series of 6 classes. Did it mainly b/c I'm pretty random, and I'm witty and can make up random stuff on the spot. Taking this class seems like a good chance to improve upon these traits and to become more self-assured when speaking in public.

Keep us updated on how you enjoyed the classes.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
****, I should look into this. I've always thought about getting into comedy because everyone thinks I'm a pretty funny guy and when I get in the right mood my timing is really good. Thanks for reminding me.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that will help your game immensely. Several pick up gurus have taken stand up classes, and they said it kicked ass. Maybe I'll look into it.

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I am in the same boat as you guys kind of. I get told I am pretty funny by a lot of people, but for some reason, it never comes out when I am speaking in front of large crowds. I talked to the guy who was teaching the class and he told me that it is because I am trying to be funny, as opposed to just standing up and being funny. Improv teaches people to overcome this.

I'm gonna take the class. It starts today so I will keep you all posted.

DavenJuan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeYikes122 said:
Yeah, I am in the same boat as you guys kind of. I get told I am pretty funny by a lot of people, but for some reason, it never comes out when I am speaking in front of large crowds. I talked to the guy who was teaching the class and he told me that it is because I am trying to be funny, as opposed to just standing up and being funny. Improv teaches people to overcome this.

I'm gonna take the class. It starts today so I will keep you all posted.

Mike,

I took improv classes in College and highschool. Even did small community theater afterwards. i can tell you it was one of the best things i have ever been apart of.

the guy teaching the class is absolutely right when he told you its not about TRYING to be funny. hell, its really not about being funny at all. its about the creativity of your mind. you will notice in Improv classes, all of it is situational, but not ALL comedy.

i can say for myself that Improvisation as helped me not only with my public speaking, but molded me into the SOCIAL being that i am now.

good luck brother. the one thing i will tell you while in these classes that may help is remember. THERE IS NO BOUNDARIES" whatever you THINK, comes to life. you create evertyhing. i have seen so many people in improve limit themselves to what they THINK is SUPPOSE to happen. dont fall into that trap.

good luck and keep us postyed MY