Thinking about getting my first motorcycle

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do not have a car, and while I technically do not need one, I am going a bit stir-crazy without the freedom to go where I want when I want. Uber/lyft are ludicrously expensive now, so it's out of the question. And cars are just too expensive all around, especially now.

I was thinking of getting a basic dual-sport motorcycle. I am mostly concerned with practicality and handling. I do not anticipate doing much highway driving (my job is remote, so no commute).

I'm thinking of getting a either a 2022 Kawasaki KLX 300SM or Suzuki DR-Z400SM. Would either of these be decent choices? They're selling for about $6-7k new.

Last edited:

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a fun maintenance free bulletproof Suz or Kaw. Yesterday I was looking at the 22-Honda
XR650L. Big enough for longer rides, and <<<< you can cruise around with a little Hottie. It's now "white" again
With black rims, looks cool and no stinking gadgetry/component/ride mode crap.

In regards to beginner status. Nothing you're looking at in regards to "handling" matters. Even though those bikes
Can be made to handle, you would need to get serious in the nasty off road stuff to even notice what they are capable
Of. In Supermoto mode you would really really have to get on it to know how it handles. For local dirt roads & town riding, especially sitting down, you are good to go.

Last edited:

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At some point when my financial situation turns around, I was thinking of a Honda NC750X. Being 5'6, I'd have to find one and sit on it, to see if I can reach the ground.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Idk where you are located, but look into a safety course if you can. This is the one in the US

And budget for gear. You dress for the crash, not the ride.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Idk where you are located, but look into a safety course if you can. This is the one in the US

And budget for gear. You dress for the crash, not the ride.
Yeah I'll definitely take a course of some kind, especially if its about defensive driving.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a fun maintenance free bulletproof Suz or Kaw. Yesterday I was looking at the 22-Honda
XR650L. Big enough for longer rides, and <<<< you can cruise around with a little Hottie. It's now "white" again
With black rims, looks cool and no stinking gadgetry/component/ride mode crap.

In regards to beginner status. Nothing you're looking at in regards to "handling" matters. Even though those bikes
Can be made to handle, you would need to get serious in the nasty off road stuff to even notice what they are capable
Of. In Supermoto mode you would really really have to get on it to know how it handles. For local dirt roads & town riding, especially sitting down, you are good to go.
That looks nice, can't find any nearby though. Wouldn't a lightweight dualsport bike handle much better than some bulky Harley? I want to be able to manuever well, cornering, dodging retards switching lanes, etc.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I'll definitely take a course of some kind, especially if its about defensive driving.
The possibility of hitting a deer would be my biggest concern. If you don't need a car, then that means your in a big city, so it wouldn't be much of a worry for you I'm sure.

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That looks nice, can't find any nearby though. Wouldn't a lightweight dualsport bike handle much better than some bulky Harley? I want to be able to manuever well, cornering, dodging retards switching lanes, etc.
Here is some reality. My XR-650R weighed 279lbs The Xr650L would be about 350=battery starter lights, blinkers, blah blah. That bike will get blown off course getting passed by a big truck on the highway.
A big Harley is 900-1000 Lbs. Don't be silly.
You keep saying (handling) stop. it means nothing to a beginner. They all work fine.
I do agree with your idea of a small around town only bike. Maybe a big scooter?? You can carry groceries with those (between your knees).

Redwolf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
100% take the riders training course. It will teach you a lot even if you have riden before. I can't believe they let people get a motorcycle license without it. The course teaches a lot of great safety content.

ZenDancer

Reaction score
Definitely echo the advice to do a safety course... I've been a biker for many years, and have a close friend who is involved in promoting motorcycle safety... in the UK and Ireland, motorcycle fatalities have gone through the roof during covid, precisely because so many guys who either haven't owned a bike before, or haven't owned one in a long time, have decided to alleviate the cabin fever by getting back int he saddle... be careful out there!

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dont forget the maintenance side, some motorbikes can be left outside under the rain for months with no damage while other cant.

Also if you plan to bring stuff with you (bags, backpacks) you need a comfortable sitting position.

Racing bikes are made for racing.

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do not have a car, and while I technically do not need one, I am going a bit stir-crazy without the freedom to go where I want when I want. Uber/lyft are ludicrously expensive now, so it's out of the question. And cars are just too expensive all around, especially now.

I was thinking of getting a basic dual-sport motorcycle. I am mostly concerned with practicality and handling. I do not anticipate doing much highway driving (my job is remote, so no commute).

I'm thinking of getting a either a 2022 Kawasaki KLX 300SM or Suzuki DR-Z400SM. Would either of these be decent choices? They're selling for about $6-7k new.
Can't ever go wrong with Japanese engineering and technology. Both are great choices.

I've had motorcycles and custom build them for several years now (currently I just finished a Cafe Racer project based on a Yamaha XS1100).

It comes down to maintenance and parts. Some bikes are harder to find parts for. Given that they are both Japanese brands and 22's, parts are easy to find and labor is easy to find for those types of bikes. Although I recommend to anyone that has a bike to learn to do most of the maintenance yourself (including cars) and stop depending on mechanics unless it's something more intricate.

Then your next factor is retention value (if you plan to sell it at some point), followed by price point vs functionality/gadgets etc.

Your last factor should be user experience: Sit on it, take it for a rip and feel it. You'll know then.

Hope this helps.

Modern Man Advice

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If possible, ride away from cars. Cars are the devil when it comes to getting hurt. Dualsport allows you to go offroad, which is nice.

When you're thinking about getting it, you have to factor in maintenance. Chain maintenance and tensioning is a never-ending task, and motorcycles eat tires a lot faster than cars do.

Also something to consider: dualsport seats get very uncomfortable if you're riding on the street for more than an hour.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If possible, ride away from cars. Cars are the devil when it comes to getting hurt. Dualsport allows you to go offroad, which is nice.

When you're thinking about getting it, you have to factor in maintenance. Chain maintenance and tensioning is a never-ending task, and motorcycles eat tires a lot faster than cars do.

Also something to consider: dualsport seats get very uncomfortable if you're riding on the street for more than an hour.
Yeah for sure, I know that the danger isn't with the actual rider, but other drivers. I've heard having a loud engine can help with that...

Comfort is literally my least concern.

Dont forget the maintenance side, some motorbikes can be left outside under the rain for months with no damage while other cant.

Also if you plan to bring stuff with you (bags, backpacks) you need a comfortable sitting position.

Racing bikes are made for racing.
I had always assumed backpacks and things like that would throw off your balance too much to even bother. I suppose groceries would be fine though, I'm only a mile away from the store

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't ever go wrong with Japanese engineering and technology. Both are great choices.

I've had motorcycles and custom build them for several years now (currently I just finished a Cafe Racer project based on a Yamaha XS1100).

It comes down to maintenance and parts. Some bikes are harder to find parts for. Given that they are both Japanese brands and 22's, parts are easy to find and labor is easy to find for those types of bikes. Although I recommend to anyone that has a bike to learn to do most of the maintenance yourself (including cars) and stop depending on mechanics unless it's something more intricate.

Then your next factor is retention value (if you plan to sell it at some point), followed by price point vs functionality/gadgets etc.

Your last factor should be user experience: Sit on it, take it for a rip and feel it. You'll know then.

Hope this helps.

Modern Man Advice
One more question, do motorcycles help with getting poon or is that a myth? Not that that has anything to do with my decision.

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One more question, do motorcycles help with getting poon or is that a myth? Not that that has anything to do with my decision.
Let's just say motorcycles are much better than using OLD...

But yea don't get one with that agenda. Get one because YOU want one and YOU are going to enjoy it. The rest should only be secondary or a byproduct of that.

Modern Man Advice

Stuffnu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All great advise here.
Don’t buy new as you may drop it.
I’m more of a Harley guy but the Yamaha VStar 650 was one of my early favs.
Good price used, reliable and easy to handle (sits low).
Not sure where you live, but you have insurance considerations too, especially on the CC size.

djreez88

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ebikes are coming along way as well if you're not doing much highway/freeway driving

kekePower

Don Juan
Reaction score
My first bike was a Suzuki GSR600 and it was a great ride. Light enough and with 98hp and revvs up to 14000 rpm.
It's a naked bike, so not much of cover from the weather, but the feeling of freedom and fun cannot be understated on this bike.

I guess they're pretty cheap to buy second hand these days and the later models came with ABS as well.

It was a great starter bike and I spent hours and hours on it :)

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll stick with the well-engineered safety belt, airbags & crush zones of my quadruped vehicle. The human body is ill-evolved to survive rolling around at 60 mph.