Current Weight

145 pounds

Goal Weight

180 pounds lean

Status

Hardgainer

Supplements

Flaxseed oil (30g day)

It's been painful (and amazing) watching my gains wither away, but its time to get em back :cool:

2 Years ago I was 6 ft, 167lb, ripped etc. In that year, I gained 24lb of muscle, through training, supps, etc. Considering I have an absolute rocket metabolism, I was pretty happy with it, and the results definetly showed.

I did not train last year at all, yet kept the gains as my job was labour intensive, and I still ate like a horse.

However since I quit to go back to study, in the space of a few months of barely eating and not training, I watched all 24lb drop off... couldn't believe it.

Now back in the game, at 145lb, with an aim to get to 180lb lean.

I'm just after some advice regarding muscle memory, and how long I can expect it to take to get back to where I was, as well as gain that extra poundage, with proper training routine?

Also, is my money better spent on consuming 425g tuna in oil (or even half a can, being 210g) per day for protein, or on whey protein shakes?

Any advice appreciated! :cool:

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm about 2 weeks in, so might as well start off from what was done last week.

And...

Take note though... I usually take 3 seconds to complete the contraction, 3 seconds sitting at the top, and 4 seconds on the way down.

Tuesday - Chest / Triceps

DB Bench

4 x 20 kg in each hand
4 x 20 kg
4 x 17.5kg

BB Bench

4 x 30kg
4 x 30kg
4 x 30kg

Vertical Chest press

4 x 42 kg
4 x 42 kg
4 x 42 kg

Bench dips

3 sets of 6 reps

Overhead DB Extensions

4 x 7.5kg
4 x 7.5kg
4 x 7.5kg

Didn't realise until now how bad the stats had gotten.

Last edited:

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Friday - Back / Biceps

DB Rows

4 x 22.5kg
4 x 22.5kg
4 x 22.5kg
4 x 25kg

Lat Pulldown

4 x 45 kg
4 x 45 kg
4 x 45 kg

Preacher curls

4 x 10kg
4 x 10kg
4 x 10kg

Barbell curls (why are these so much harder?)

4 x 11kg
4 x 11kg
4 x 11kg

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good luck man! i hope you'll be fit again asap

p.s.: i didn't think it was possible to lose all that muscles, you must be the apotheosis of the ectomorph:D

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man, don't think about muscle memory, your results will come quick if you stay focused. Getting muscle back is pretty easy. I bet within 3 months you have all that lost muscle back if you want it hard enough.

If I were you I'd go with skull crushers or JM presses instead of db overhead extensions. And of course I'd advice you to get some deadlifts in there, programs without deads and squats almost make me cry.

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys :cool:

Yeah, i'm also surprised at the loss, but i'm only going by the scales... I guess I could have lost some the muscle over last year and retained water/fat, and thats what went this year? Who knows... either way I want it back dammit!

And cheers LF, never done skull crushers, so i'll give that a try this week. As for deadlifts etc, might have to see if the physio thinks my knees will be up to it.

Chest day tomorrow!! :D :D

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm also surprised at the loss, but i'm only going by the scales... I guess I could have lost some the muscle over last year and retained water/fat, and thats what went this year? Who knows... either way I want it back dammit! [/B]
Not enough protein!

Your money is better spent on whey than tuna, simply because it's more versatile.. although if it was a choice between whey and whole food I'd always choose whole food. If you can afford it, source your protein from whole foods all day and keep whey just for post-workout (so a tub should last you for AGES).

I don't like your workout either - preacher curls AND barbell curls is too much IMO. Stick to barbell curls since they're harder, possibly add a forearm exercise too. This is not to say preacher curls are useless of course, which they're not, they're a staple of my routine.

I also think you're overtraining. (too many sets)

Drop the overhead sh!te, skullcrushers, closegrip bench and reverse grip bench should be your triceps exercises (plus dips of course).

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks man, the whey after workout only sounds good.

Need to start eating properly and get a regular sleeping pattern, i'm goin into the gym drained.

Monday - Chest / Triceps

DB bench press

5 x 10kg in each hand warmup
5 x 10kg warmup

4 x 20kg in each hand
4 x 20kg

DB incline bench press

4 x 12kg in each hand
4 x 12kg

Barbell bench press

4 x 30kg
4 x 30kg

Skullcrushers (god damn... these are awesome!!)

4 x 10kg
4 x 10kg
4 x 10kg

Bench Dips

3 sets of 5

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skullcrushers (god damn... these are awesome!!)
Skullcrushers hurt my triceps like no other .. reverse grip bench coming a close second.

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, they're just about my new fav. Close grip benches and me never agreed all that much.

Back / bicep day

Only had 4 hours sleep, so didn't go as bad as I had imagined I would.

DB Rows

4 x 22.5 kg in each hand
4 x 22.5kg
5 x 25 kg
5 x 25 kg

Lat Pulldown

4 x 45 kg
4 x 45 kg
5 x 45 kg

Assisted chin ups

3 sets of 4

Barbell bicep curls

4 x 11 kg
4 x 11 kg
4 x 11 kg

Deadlifts

4 x 40 kg
4 x 40 kg
4 x 40 kg

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also think you're overtraining your back and biceps a little (too many sets) BUT .. it's your own body, if you're making progress and growing stick with it. If you're not, might be time to review your sets/reps..

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No dramas, what do you suggest?

I've pretty much always figured that we had to do no more than 10 sets per bodypart.

Would cutting down to two sets be better?

Also i'm not sure growth will be all that great, as my diet is absolute shoit, just can't afford any decent stuff till some decent bucks come in at end of semester.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't believe in x parts per bodypart as such .. better to undertrain and gain more slowly than overtrain and not gain at all.

Especially if your diet's bad (another huge cause of overtraining is undereating) you're likely to overtrain .. listen to your body, what's it telling you? ie, are you tired, uninspired, miserable whatever a lot?

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting... Procrastination moreso than lack of inspiration lately... definetly zoned out a lot and unrelaxed. But I can attribute that to other things this year, but I guess overtraining definetly isnt helping.

So yeah, I tend to forget everything at the gym and just put 100% into it, but sounds like thats a flawed approach...

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In which case I'd view your workouts as some sort of stress reliever and not expect any especial gains from them. Leave that for when your diet and head are sorted out, serious bodybuilding needs dedication in spades.

But I'd actually recommend that you went to the gym to 'escape' as it were, if you're stressed out it'd help a lot IMO.

And you won't gain much with a helluva lot of cortisol washing around inside you either, so might as well not worry about not gaining! :)

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha... thanks man, help is appreciated.

I'll try and tone it down in there from now on. I gained quite well a few years ago, and I don't remember going this hard.

Im also spending nearly 10 secs per rep, more on the last of each set, so that can't be helping either :p

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Todays foot filler...

Meal 1 - 7 Vita brits, 300ml milk, 15g flaxseed oil

Meal 2 - 2 slices thick home made wholegrain toast, 2 apples

Meal 3 - Large bowl of pasta with parmesan

Meal 4 - 4 random biscuits, 2 slices thick home made white toast with vegemite

Meal 5 - Large bowl Pasta bolognese

Meal 6 - 2 cups dry oats mixed with honey and 300ml milk, 15g flaxseed oil

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
as little carbs as possible for the last meal man! good luck with your journal!

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hehe thanks mate :cool: But i need all the mass I can get! I guess I should get some cottage cheese or tuna for the evening instead eh?

chest / tricep day

Another day on 5 hours sleep, and freezing in the gym, but felt ok. I now go with a mate, so I think its helping.

DB Bench press

4 x 20kg in each hand
4 x 20kg in each hand
4 x 20kg in each hand

Barbell Bench press

4 x 30kg
4 x 30kg
4 x 35kg

Bench dips

4 x 10kg on lap
6 x 15 kg on lap

Skullcrushers (suffered because of the above)

4 x 10kg
4 x 10kg

Assisted bar dips

Chest press

4 x 41kg
4 x 41kg

Overhead extensions

4 x 12kg
4 x 12kg
4 x 12kg

So yeah... did a bit too much today... but was just feeling like it wasnt enough the whole time. Plus I was showing a mate some different stuff.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hehe thanks mate But i need all the mass I can get! I guess I should get some cottage cheese or tuna for the evening instead eh?
I stick to lean protein sources (tuna, chicken etc) and veggies in the evening, used to have cottage cheese before I got totally sick of the stuff. But either is fine IMO.