Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Perils Of Getting Set Up

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Remarkably, there are little threads on this topic. Ever get set up by a friend, a cousin, someone's mom, your sister, brother, anyone? I've noticed these are the POF girls of real life. I've learned my lesson a long time ago, and have evaded this type of meeting since. And I've always been right when I finally saw the monster they were trying to hook me up with. Dayamn! It never failed me. Some signs to look out for are:

- You're perfect for each other!
- I know a girl who is funny, like you!
- Oh, don't you worry, you're a great guy, I know just the girl for you!
- So and so's daughter is your age, single, and pretty!
- My girlfriend saw you in a picture and would love to meet you!

Notice no indications of body type. Never do you hear "my friend models, she has a fantastic body and can't find a date, do you wanna go out with her?"

So those of you who've had successes I wish you eternal luck, but for the most part, please be warned on such meet ups. Usually it is the fat friend who doesn't get around much, or the crazy girl who's 39 and still has her 1990 high school hair do going on. These people generally just feel sorry for you and will scrape up the bottom of their social barrel to find you someone without really knowing anything about you. A need to play Cupid, if you will. Yeah, sounds well intended, but generally I found it leaves you with some girl you'd never pick up or approach.

If you have any stories regarding a good or bad set up, do share, it's a common thing with being single.

LP700-4

Banned
Reaction score
Yup. My sister tried to set me up with her friend once. Man, was she ugly. Probably the worst date I've ever gone on.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
VladPatton said:
Remarkably, there are little threads on this topic.
You're right, this is rarely discussed here, other than the occasional warning not to do it. This is surprising, since I'm sure the set up is a pretty common occurrence out in the real world. This used to happen a lot back when I was growing up, even if it was just as simple as "my girl will bring someone for you".

I recall some fairly attractive women being involved in these, so it wasn't all fat girls. I don't think I remember an instance when it turned out really well though (I mean there were lays but I can't remember anyone hooking up long term from it. I'm sure there are some success stories out there though somewhere).

GS750

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My buddy's girlfriend tried to set me up with one of her friends once. They were on the track team so she was in shape. But I just wasn't into her. I had seen her picture before though so I had an idea of who I was meeting. Blind date? No way in Hell.

Uncharted

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was more AFC in college I really liked this one girl and she tried to set me up with her friend.

I banged that chick on the first date to try and make the first one jealous. The chick I banged was actually hotter than the first girl. But I could not give a sh!t about her and she loved it the next few times we hooked up until I just stopped calling her. I never realized why until I read this site. That was probably the first SS thing I ever did.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
The other issue is that, IMO, women don't like being set up either.

If her gf (or even worse her family) tries to set her up with a "great guy they know," she will almost always resist or find something wrong with the guy.

Despite the best of intentions, being "fixed up" rarely works out well for either sex.

Being introduced is ok, but that's about it. The rest should be natural.

Uncharted

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything in this thread is true. Also - never ask a girl you know (even relative) if she has any single friends. Wait for a party or something to happen and when someone shows up that's cute, just introduce yourself.

HumbleNinja

Banned
Reaction score
VladPatton said:
Remarkably, there are little threads on this topic. Ever get set up by a friend, a cousin, someone's mom, your sister, brother, anyone? I've noticed these are the POF girls of real life. I've learned my lesson a long time ago, and have evaded this type of meeting since. And I've always been right when I finally saw the monster they were trying to hook me up with. Dayamn! It never failed me. Some signs to look out for are:

- You're perfect for each other!
- I know a girl who is funny, like you!
- Oh, don't you worry, you're a great guy, I know just the girl for you!
- So and so's daughter is your age, single, and pretty!
- My girlfriend saw you in a picture and would love to meet you!

Notice no indications of body type. Never do you hear "my friend models, she has a fantastic body and can't find a date, do you wanna go out with her?"

So those of you who've had successes I wish you eternal luck, but for the most part, please be warned on such meet ups. Usually it is the fat friend who doesn't get around much, or the crazy girl who's 39 and still has her 1990 high school hair do going on. These people generally just feel sorry for you and will scrape up the bottom of their social barrel to find you someone without really knowing anything about you. A need to play Cupid, if you will. Yeah, sounds well intended, but generally I found it leaves you with some girl you'd never pick up or approach.

If you have any stories regarding a good or bad set up, do share, it's a common thing with being single.

LMAO! Yep! I used to quietly get pissed and go along with it as I KNEW it would be a heffer or nutcase. A loooong time ago. Now I simply tell them "No thanks".

Why? Because I take it as they are clueless as all single people "need" to have someone to feel complete about themselves. Not me.

I also take it as an insult because 99.999% of the time it's ALWAYS the worst of the worst exactly like you said. Nah. I'll pass.

You think the same people doing you the "favor" would date the same type of person they try to set you up with? Hell no. If they were single and the person was such a great catch they'd try to put you down and or take them for themselves.

Not "setups" for me. I'd rather be setup by the mob. At least I'd know what they were after me for.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exactly! There is no way in hell THEY themselves would ever be seen with that person. But for you, it's ok, because after all, you're a desperate poor soul who is in constant misery because you're single. Unreal. Now, I just tell them:

"No, thanks, I'm an animal when it comes to relationships. I bang girls, dump them the next day, and I blog about them on a very popular sex website, where I have millions of weekly readers. I get into very explicit details including a rating system and possible hidden video and/or photos. So you see, I couldn't do that to anyone I know!"

The looks you'll get are priceless, and more importantly, you'll be left alone with future setups lol

HumbleNinja

Banned
Reaction score
VladPatton said:
Exactly! There is no way in hell THEY themselves would ever be seen with that person. But for you, it's ok, because after all, you're a desperate poor soul who is in constant misery because you're single. Unreal. Now, I just tell them:

"No, thanks, I'm an animal when it comes to relationships. I bang girls, dump them the next day, and I blog about them on a very popular sex website, where I have millions of weekly readers. I get into very explicit details including a rating system and possible hidden video and/or photos. So you see, I couldn't do that to anyone I know!"

The looks you'll get are priceless, and more importantly, you'll be left alone with future setups lol
The insane sh1t is it's done by REALLY GOOD CLOSE FRIENDS! Not just people you're "friends" with! It's like they feel sorry for you as if you are helpless and "can't meet anyone" so let's throw this one with that one like we're going to mate mutts for sale.

They simply do NOT get it! It's a waste to even explain sh1t that you aren't desperate and are complete on your own OR with someone. They'll yes you to death to your face if you explain things but behind close doors STILL feel sorry for you! LMAO.

I swear I don't bother explaining things anymore or trying to open dudes eyes let alone chicks to anything talked about on here. They either look at you, yes you to death (which you can tell they aren't taking it in or believing you when they don't add more to the conversation as if they truly agree like as done on here.) or they keep pushing to "help" the "poor soul".

I simply say thanks but no thanks and don't bother explaining further. They either think in their minds you are too stubborn, or are just putting up a front. Meanwhile I'm looking at them thinking: "Riiiight. As if YOU "helping" me would snatch that same person you are trying to hook me up with for yourself if you were single"....again if that same person was in high demand they would more likely put you down if that person didn't want THEM and wanted YOU or they'd say NOTHING at all to you about them and trip over themselves chasing that person till they either caught them or didn't and never mention nor put in a good word for you. F that noise!

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thinking back on all the times I've had friends set me up, it's always been a disaster. I don't remember ever being interested in any of them except one, but it turns out she wasn't interested in me. she had recently caught her boyfriend cheating on her, who was a youth pastor at her church, nonetheless, and anyone short of Brad Pitt showing up that night had no chance with her. It was a shame too because out of all the blind dates I'd been set up on, she was actually very cute. Too bad she was damaged goods though.

What's even worse is being set up on a blind date and then double dating with the couple who set us up. Good Lord let the awkwardness flow! I felt like I was 13 with a chaperone.

Now whenever my friends wives or girlfriends want to set me up it's ALWAYS some hog, or some drug addict looking girl with a couple of kids, or someone who I absolutely positively wouldn't touch if I had been single for 10 years. I mean he11, if I wanted to date the bottom of the barrel I'd just make a d@mn POF profile. Plenty of losers to pick from there!