Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The next level of virtual life

Attraction

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey nice discussion!!
it makes me think of some things that sports (wrestling/fitness)coach Matt Furey says. he compares the physical strength of modern man to that of primitive man, or even the men that lived onlya 100 years ago.

advancements in technology made people develop DEVICES, while primitives developed THEMSELVES. so this advancement of technolgy did some really bad things to teh quality of life and health. this "IMPROVEMENT" in the quality of life is i believe an illusion only. the quality has deteriorated. wel all know that sitting in front of computer and doing "enlightening" discussions on forums liek this feels nowhere as good as going out and running around teh city. and, lets admit it... most people today do not even think about leaving teh couch and stepping out.

considerign teh human potential, we can very well expect man to turn sims into a complete virtual life program. but that will fvck up our lives more than anything ever has.

and yea, as eternal says:

I'll stick to Vice City. Much more fun.
i agree .. vice city is awesome!!!

n hey .. eternal .. i just can't complete the mission where u have to save Lance from Diaz's men. how do u do it??? wheevr i take him out of teh junkyard ... a dozen cars come and crash through my car, and lance is dead. wtf!?:mad: i really get pissed off.

Attraction

Don Juan
Reaction score
fuzzx

there is a bug for that... somehow I managed to get Lance back into a car and drive.
what kinda bug??

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The cool thing about the GTA games is that things don't happen unless you are ready for them to, and you have to actively trigger these events by walking into one of those markers.

This gives youas much time as you want to prepare for the mission.

I generally buy the building in downtown with the helicopter on top, (do stufff until you have enough money, like other missions or taxi missions, or even jump pedestrians. ) and I then fly the chopper to the malibu club. I find out about lance, and then I fly the chopper to the junkyard where lance is being held. This is better than taking a car b/c you can fly over stuff and you dont have to dodge traffic, so i get there w/ plenty of time to spare. I park the chopper, and go save lance. I get him into the chopper, and fly to the hospital with diaz's guys harmlessly trying to get me. Mission passed.

The next two missions are even harder.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by squirrels
"Comfort" has replaced "accomplishment" in today's world as the ultimate goal.
This very idea has turned me against the idea of having a capitalistic/free market society. People are inherently driven by some desires, but our society is not only functioning through those but through pointless desires that it creates. EVERYTHING has become a commodity... even sex.

People don't want to "do" anymore, they want to "have".

I-am-someone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damnit, why did you guys have to make me read this thread after I had finally begun to stabilize the view of the kind of woman I want?
I'm lookin for a woman that doesn't care too much about posessions, and certainly doesn't show off with them. I cannot STAND women that wear jewelry, expensive clothes and other sh!t like that. I'm not kidding, it annoys the heck out of me.
Second, she has to be short. And preferably have dark hair.

But, the meaning of this thread is that there are no such women, or they are extremely hard to find? What now?

P.S.: STOP PLAYING GAMES, it's a pure waste of life!

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nocturnal
People don't want to "do" anymore, they want to "have".
But doesn't the "have" make the "do" worthwhile? For example, if all you do is work ("do") without the rewards ("have"), is there a point to it?

EverywhereMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo
Just out of curiosity, how would they support this habit if they chose to live in a virtual world? Virtual money?
Absolutely! You could set up Virtual Money as a new, truly global currency, with it's own excahnge rate etc.
People could then get virtual jobs: the transition would be easy, since many jobs are already office jobs, where the onus is on organising data, organising people. People could still log off and go back to real life and convert their hard earned money to $ or £ according to the exchange rate.

People would want jobs tranferred to virtual reality because the conditions could be so much better: the comfiest chair, the most inspiring view, a golden pen, no commute, all for Bob the middle manager. He could still organise his workforce, because they will all be in the same luxurious virtual office.

This virtual world be allowed to start and flourish simply because "money is an idea". People would want to spend time inside, because materials are free, distances are reduced to zero, and most importantly- the limitless pleasures and possiblities.

I'm not saying all people will live there all the time, just some of the people some of the time.

Not all jobs could be transferred: we need people to maintain energy production to fuel this world (e.g. oil pumping, power plant work), and maintain the computers that run the world. People will still need to plow the fields and raise cattle and make Doritos. But even they will go home at the end of the day and log in to watch TV and chat with their family. At his own will, this example worker would then instantly appear at the local bar, and chat with friends. That night, he will virtually f*ck his wife (or a virtual girl, if he's not yet a Don Juan, but either way, he's getting laid, whether there is a woman receiving his pleasure or not), sleep on a the most luxurious bed, and wake the next morning to log off, and go to work.

After a while, people could set up their own companies inside the virtual world. There would be no distinction on the stock market over virutal or real businesses, and people could buy and sell shares in the vitual world just as in the real world: a lot of stock market workings are done by computer already (correct me if I'm wrong).

What possible value could a virtual business have? A guitar manufacturer, a vinery, a retail outlet... all their value would be distilled and refined in the virtual world. Firstly reduced to it's ideas- the patents owned by the company. Buy a guitar in the virtual world, and you are buying the right to make one copy of the design. Buy a bottle of wine, and you are paying for the patented taste. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure patent is the right word for a taste, but I can't think of anything better).

The patent laws will have to change drastically. They will be extended to cover things like "the taste of a Merlot red wine produced at this location in California". The time limit on patents will have to be reconsidered: a taste patent might never expire, but maybe a car design would last for 100 years (We would keep cars in the virtual world, because they are fun). Idea protection will be important, since information and ideas are the only thing of value in this virtual world (that and the amount of money you have).

Physical jobs would have a small place in the virtual world: take the example of building a house.
The architect would specify the design and materials, and the computer could instantly create it. Bam! No need for raw materials. No need for builders.

So to summarize, the only jobs to partially transfer would be ones that a computer could not currently do, ones requiring a little or a lot of creativity: e.g. managers, CEOs, entertainers, engineers. Some of these professionals will still work in real life, because the real world still needs running, just at a reduced intensity.

==========

Think of the resources we could save if a lot of people decided to live a portion of their lives in virtual reality. Of course, it would have to be very, very advanced for people to want to go there often.

Suppose it is sufficiently advanced, we could help solve many of the problems currently facing mankind this century:
+less destroyed rainforests,
+less cars on the road, because people would not need to travel as much,
which means less fossil fuel burning.
The list goes on, with regard to saved resources.

+People will meet virtually, and not physically, so there's an exteremly reduced risk from epidemics. Things like the reportedly oncoming bird flu would never happen, simply because there's less of a global movement of the masses. If someone in China, for example, did contract the bird flu, his family might get it, his co-workers might get it (I'm assuming he works in a chicken farm here!), but that would be it. Contained infection, limited (but tragic) life lost, no more problem.

Of course, we would still need to generate electricity in the same old way, in order to fuel this massive network of virtual lives. It is debatable if this would require more energy, because less energy in the real world would be used up (people would not need artificial lighting as much, nor escalators, nor trains).

======

What is required for this world to flourish is SECURITY. This is nothing new, we are already faced with computer security with online trading. We are already faced with the problems of people bugging other people- corporate espionage- that type of thing. But critically, we want to avoid people killing other people inside (see for reference, the Matrix). Any system that is wired to give stimulus to the brain could conceivably over stimulate to lethal levels.

We may need to iron out a few of the basic, mundane problems: a machine that takes your piss and shyt out of your body, so you don't have to log off every hour. This sounds very gross, but no more gross than a WC and sewage pipes, if you think about it.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lie
But doesn't the "have" make the "do" worthwhile? For example, if all you do is work ("do") without the rewards ("have"), is there a point to it?
that is exactly the mindset I have trouble fully accepting. What happened to enjoying the process itself? The whole idea of "doing what you love," instead of working for money alone.

why can't part of the reward be included in the process? People don't like experiences anymore, they enjoy tangible goods and commodities. They only enjoy events by labeling them as something to physically have, as if once they become married, they actually "have a wife." People measure their self worth in property, with a de-emphasis on intellectual property.

it wouldn't be so bad if people could just enjoy whatever rewards were a side effect of living a life they love to live, but instead they sacrifice what they have for labels. "I have a nice car." Ok, but you just spent half of your annual salary to get it. Is it really worth it? What about when you sacrifice doing what you love to get a salary just so you can buy a nice car and a big house with 3 rooms that you will never use?

the happiest people often live the most modestly.