The Laugh At Yourself Thread

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are YOU taking yourself too seriously? You may well be. 'HOW CAN I TELL?' you ask! Here's a list of symptoms:

1. You think that you're not.

That's it!

Now, I'd like to remind my fellow man that in one hundred years time we'll all be dead. Heard that before? Perhaps you haven't understood it, because what that means is that EVERYTHING YOU DO IS FUNNY. Become an artist? That's funny. Run for president? That's funny. (George Bush is a great example, but by no means the only). Give a damn what a LITTLE WOMAN thinks of you -- that's hilarious!!

This site is funny! You guys -- obsessing over -- what? At the same time, who the hell am I to say that? :D

You want to be confident? It's easy! JUST LAUGH! You don't need to force it -- laugh because the world IS funny. Laugh at yourself and others in equal measure. Then you'll see things in perspective.

So, gentlemen, let us take it in turns to imagine, JUST IMAGINE that we're not quite perfect yet. I'll go first. :D

EDIT [I wrote this in a later post, but for people who just read the first post before replyingI wanted to have this here]:

Guys... I recognise that it's uncomfortable and all. It was a struggle to start this thread: you see, laughing at myself is my current biggest problem. But it's necessary.

Forgive me: but listen up.

Who is going to be BRAVE enough to take this opportunity to laugh at themselves?

Tell your story, tell a CONCRETE thing that you can laugh at. It's scary isn't it? But that's how to become confident. A harsh, harsh reality that'll never become less harsh if we ignore it.

Also. I figure that I may be the only one who's willing to do this (I mean the laughing at yourself thing)... but anyone else who wants to participate in this crazy idea... I had another thought.

How about... we mock each other too! Just make your post laughing at yourself, then, for additional bonus points, write this at the end:

PLEASE LAUGH AT ME!

We will laugh at you anyway ;)

I've been working for three years on finding out the meaning of life for myself -- and the answer was that I was lonely! I withdrew from people and obessed over a question... and I kept on getting worse and worse and making the most absurd theories. I became higher and higher in my ivory tower and better and better at seperating myself from others. I repeatedly thought I'd changed and wrote long manifestos listing all that I'd "discovered"... and even when I intellectually understood everything, I just found subtler and subtler ways of hiding from myself.

FU'CKING ABSURD!:crackup:

Also, I've just noticed that this whole post I've not been totally honest with myself: I've tried to say all these things but not mean it. And I want to say that I mean it now... but I think just to be sure I'll say that I don't mean it at all. The joke's on me :D

PLEASE LAUGH AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

JackPrescott

Banned
Reaction score
I dont laugh at myself. I laugh at the males I am in competition with for the women, when I am leaving with a woman, and they arent.

Magnatolia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course I can laugh at myself. If you're able to laugh at yourself it shows the girl that you're not full of yourself and it usually makes her laugh. When a woman is laughing she's generally having a good time. And you can also accuse her of having no heart etc.

It's also a good way of getting her to open up. Say you tell her about some huge stuffup you made and you're both laughing. Then you can turn it around on her and say 'so what about you? What's the most enbarrassing thing you've done?' If you got a half-decent rapport with her she'll admit to something.

sam3083

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA

Thats me laughing at all the women I've obsessed over, and still am (I'm at sosuave still, lol)

That feels better.

The Deacon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gubby said:
I've been working for three years on finding out the meaning of life for myself -- and the answer was that I was lonely! I withdrew from people and obessed over a question... and I kept on getting worse and worse and making the most absurd theories. I became higher and higher in my ivory tower and better and better at seperating myself from others. I repeatedly thought I'd changed and wrote long manifestos listing all that I'd "discovered"... and even when I intellectually understood everything, I just found subtler and subtler ways of hiding from myself.
You came upon this realization and you are 18 years old. This is by far and away the wisest thing I have ever heard from a teenager. Kudos.

sandman6991

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha this makes me think of all the stupid things I've done in the past when it comes to getting girls

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think, however, that most of us actually do take it too seriously ;)

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I laugh at myself all the time! Some times the sh*t I do is just ridiculouse, I'm talking stand up comedy slap stick funny!

I obviously don't take life to seriously. I have a dream career in my opinion and I live in an incredible town in a phat house. What should I be overly concerned about? My clients pay me to be loose and relax them, this is their vacation time so I have to oblige them:up:

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hope you won't mind me using your replies to make a point, Jack Prescott

I dont laugh at myself. I laugh at the males I am in competition with for the women, when I am leaving with a woman, and they arent.
and Magnatolia;

Of course I can laugh at myself. If you're able to laugh at yourself it shows the girl that you're not full of yourself and it usually makes her laugh. When a woman is laughing she's generally having a good time. And you can also accuse her of having no heart etc.

It's also a good way of getting her to open up. Say you tell her about some huge stuffup you made and you're both laughing. Then you can turn it around on her and say 'so what about you? What's the most enbarrassing thing you've done?' If you got a half-decent rapport with her she'll admit to something.
Jack: the "males" you are in "competition with"? Can't you make friends with men too? I figure you've got into the whole "passing on your genes is the meaning of life" thing. Well, if you're gonna go all evolutionary psychology on us, think of this: even people who are CASTRATED or TOO OLD TO FU'CK can be happy! There are people who willingly choose the life of a monk! How can this be? Well, thinking about evolutionary psychology (something I do a lot) I realised that LOVE has a huge part to play in human instincts: if, through love, you can help to ensure the survival of the human race, it doesn't matter that you don't pass your genes on personally.

I'm not trying to put you down, I'm saying this cos I hope you'll appreciate hearing a harsh reality rather than staying comfortably stuck with bad ideas (yea... I know. I haven't even considered I might be wrong... proud aren't I? ;) ). This goes to show that you can't work out the meaning of life by trying to second-guess nature -- she'll always have something more subtle in store for us that we haven't worked out yet.

Magnatolia: YES! YES! YES!!! EXACTLY! SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!

Only... how can you talk about being funny in such a serious manner?

Humour is MASSIVELY useful. But.. I haven't explained in this thread all the things I think it's useful for. You see, explaining it all is JUST NOT FUN.

Humour lets you be confident.

How? Nervousness, fear etc is the OPPOSITE of fun and humour. Fear and nervousness have their place. I sure as hell wouldn't like to be relaxed and happy when there's a battle being fought on my doorstep. But when you don't want these emotions... you just need to laugh.

THEN you realise that the thing you're scared of is not so big at all. When you laugh, the MEANING OF LIFE itself can be unimportant! Let God go about his business while you go about yours! :D :D :D

[BTW: I'll update the first post in this thread with what I've written next:].

Guys... I recognise that it's uncomfortable and all. It was a struggle to write this thread: you see, laughing at myself is my current biggest problem. But it's necessary.

Forgive me: but listen up.

Who is going to be BRAVE enough to take this opportunity to laugh at themselves?

Also - I figure that I may be the only one who's willing to do this... I mean the laughing at yourself thing... but anyone who wants to participate in this crazy idea... I had another thought. How about we mock each other too! Just make your post laughing at yourself, then, if you want to, write this at the end:

PLEASE LAUGH AT ME!

And because you've asked for it, you'll have to take the other people's words graciously.

I can see a lot of things to make fun of in my posts here, so...

PLEASE LAUGH AT ME!!!

Last edited:

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Deacon said:
You came upon this realization and you are 18 years old. This is by far and away the wisest thing I have ever heard from a teenager. Kudos.
Thanks a lot Deacon, it was hard work and I appreciate your recognition :D

Birdem

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm laughing at myself right now and tomorrow will be no different...We live in a funny world...

PLEASE LAUGH AT ME!!!!!!

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Birdem said:
I'm laughing at myself right now and tomorrow will be no different...We live in a funny world...

PLEASE LAUGH AT ME!!!!!!
What, you think that it's FUNNY that you're laughing at yourself??? You think that by saying it's the world that's funny you can shift the stigma from yourself? :kick:

Do pay attention!:moon:

Birdem

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, everything is so funny. I'm also laughing at all your girl problems that's a comedy to me. = )

Señor Fingers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Awesome post!

I wish more people would realize this because it would make them much more fun and interesting.

Much respect for figuring this out at such a young age.. I know 40 year olds that still dont get it.

iqqi said:
I think Gubby is Fingz.
Nope. You are batting 1 for 3 though, so I will still give you some credit. ;)

Gubby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update: I've just been thinking (I do that a lot ;) ) Well, I've tried applying this laughing at yourself thing to more and more things about my life. Bascially my idea was just to find all the things that were absurd about myself and laugh at them.

It's INCREDIBLE. I had an anxiety that was obviously irrational and I couldn't find any rational (NLP, TA etc) way of solving it. Just now? I decided to focus on how ABSURD I was being, and LAUGHED at myself, and BAM! It's gone!

(Seeing as this is technically a pick-up site I'd like to interject right now with the obvious conclusion that it could cure approach anxiety).

Laughter is like our body's mechanism for keeping perspective. I reckon I could make it a habit and just automatically cure any warped perspective, any time when I become aware of it. Ego, vanity, irrational emotions...

Funnily enough, now, the really serious things seem much more serious because I have contrast.

I've heard of "laughter therapy"... I figure there's nothing new under the sun... but it seems to me SO FEW people understand how important humour is.....