The great threat of technology

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was talking to someone recently and I realized this person had no genuine contact with anyone, ever. It makes me wonder how many people fall into this situation since "modern living" has made it so easy to avoid face to face contact.

Putting the pieces together this guy 1) Works doing phone based work from a cubicle so he never deals with anyone face to face. Im not even sure if they have weekly meetings or anything, it sounded like the only time he ever saw a supervisor was if there was a complaint. 2) Looks for women at dating sites. Again, avoids the face to face component of initially meeting. 3) When I asked if he paid bills online, I think he knew I was going to suggest something awful... the need for face to face contact with people.

It's very difficult to realize your vibe, the relational aspects of human communication over a damn telephone. People need to be in face to face situations, to really get a sense for how you mesh with others. I dare say that if one finds his entire life is engulfed in technologies, it is high time to begin making significant changes.

There is a real world out there, but nowdays it would be easy to structure one's life to avoid it, without even putting much thought into it.

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you think that's bad now, just wait for the japanese to keep advancing in robotics to make fembots. In fact, I think they might be right around the corner.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nygard said:
If you think that's bad now, just wait for the japanese to keep advancing in robotics to make fembots. In fact, I think they might be right around the corner.
URL please.

Just kidding, but I've seen some very realistic fembots from over there. I sure hope they can cook and clean.

drak_ool

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this thread reminds me of that South Korean couple who let their infant daughter die while they were playing a video game... in which they were raising a virtual baby!

This shi.t really shocked me at the time and it makes me wonder where our society is heading.

Notice in the second paragraph: they met each other online...

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a good post.

In the modern world, I think this happens to all of us to some extent.

I've given up on online dating partly for this reason (partly also since for me it's not as efficient, time wise).

I also don't have facebook or myspace, so I am perhaps a bit ahead of the pack.

JustLurk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would have thought a person whose job is talking to people would be good at talking to people...

The technological addiction part is pretty bad, though. Fb is not too terrible in my opinion, but things like 24/7 WoW addictions can really f your life up.