Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The good and the bad

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well after a whole year and a half of dealing with the aggravated assault case, I was found not guilty.

After this was over, I was set on becoming a marine officer but it apparently didn't work out. I didn't factor in that a huge portion of the population is trying to joined the military since the economy is so bad. I was told even though i meet the requirements i most likely wouldn't get accepted. My gpa was not high enough and my SAT scores were high enough to compete with the current competition. Although I would have almost aced the PT test being able to do 20 pullups and 100 crunches in 2 minutes, they still said that wouldn't get me an interview.

This has been my second attempt. I almost signed my papers to enlist 4 years ago. No one in my entire family agree's with my decision to join the marines either. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
Well after a whole year and a half of dealing with the aggravated assault case, I was found not guilty.

After this was over, I was set on becoming a marine officer but it apparently didn't work out. I didn't factor in that a huge portion of the population is trying to joined the military since the economy is so bad. I was told even though i meet the requirements i most likely wouldn't get accepted. My gpa was not high enough and my SAT scores were high enough to compete with the current competition. Although I would have almost aced the PT test being able to do 20 pullups and 100 crunches in 2 minutes, they still said that wouldn't get me an interview.

This has been my second attempt. I almost signed my papers to enlist 4 years ago. No one in my entire family agree's with my decision to join the marines either. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Are you serious!? You cannot join the marines? The only people that I knew that could not join the marines were either one guy I knew that did not graduate high school, and another that had a bad back injury.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep applying if it's what you really want to do.

Hang around the recruiters office, pest them and call them every day.

Chances are somebody will be dropped out or kicked out or made ineligible, and if you're hanging around the recruiting office, you're likely to get in.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
enlisting is a lot easier than getting into OCS.

Quiksilver-that's what i've been hearing. Just keep re-applying, calling, show interest and don't give up. I want to join the corp and make it a part of my life but NOT my life.

I'm looking toward reserves, possibly active but i would be done once my contract ends.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have your undergrad behind you? I assume so if you want to go to OCS. Why not try another branch such as the Army? And what's this nonsense that "maybe it's not meant to be"? You'll get nowhere telling yourself that sh!t. The Army was one of the best experiences of my life. I'd do it again. Explore your options with the military and get on with it if that's really what you want to do.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not interested in any other branch really. I will call my local office and schedule a time to fill out the application. I already called 2 offices where they told me my chances are slim to none but that i could try.

I have my undergrad, a clean record, no traffic violations, no visible tattoo's, and am in great physical condition. I don't have a great GPA or SAT score. I've finaled in a business competition, led many projects all my original idea's, managed a business, was a nationally ranked swimmer, participated in volunteer work and extra-curricular activities.

I always push myself to strive for the best and the hardest which I believe is the marines personally.

I'm physically prepared and mentally prepared to finish OCS which is not my main concern.

My main concern which is the reason why I am not enlisted now is that I don't want to lose 4 full years of my life or possibly longer which would be required for being active or be tied down for 6 years in reserves. Even though i'm prepared to go, i'm probably not ready if I can't overcome this obstacle.

I don't like being indecisive so I always force a decision upon myself to do it so I won't have any regrets. This is what i'm aiming for now.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
I'm not interested in any other branch really. I will call my local office and schedule a time to fill out the application. I already called 2 offices where they told me my chances are slim to none but that i could try.

I have my undergrad, a clean record, no traffic violations, no visible tattoo's, and am in great physical condition. I don't have a great GPA or SAT score. I've finaled in a business competition, led many projects all my original idea's, managed a business, was a nationally ranked swimmer, participated in volunteer work and extra-curricular activities.

I always push myself to strive for the best and the hardest which I believe is the marines personally.

I'm physically prepared and mentally prepared to finish OCS which is not my main concern.

My main concern which is the reason why I am not enlisted now is that I don't want to lose 4 full years of my life or possibly longer which would be required for being active or be tied down for 6 years in reserves. Even though i'm prepared to go, i'm probably not ready if I can't overcome this obstacle.

I don't like being indecisive so I always force a decision upon myself to do it so I won't have any regrets. This is what i'm aiming for now.
I'd like to see you post here in a couple days that you went and filled out the app. From what you said, you are qualified. Maybe you are set on the Marines. That's cool. Don't rule out the Army though. Special Forces, maybe the Rangers? Lose 4 years of your life? What else would you do? You said you WANTED to join the Corps. Sounds to me like that's your goal. Go make it happen brother. :yes:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
was a nationally ranked swimmer

There are plenty of over-the-top crazy jobs in the other branches as well. I had a Master Sgt in Army ROTC who was a Green Beret, but specialized in swimming and scuba diving. He was trained to do things like swimming underneath ships at night and planting explosives; he went all over the world to train with the combat dive teams of other countries.

I'm guessing the Coast Guard might value your swimming skills as well. You could be a rescue diver. Those guys are nuts. There are plenty of high-adrenaline jobs out there.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver-that's what i've been hearing. Just keep re-applying, calling, show interest and don't give up. I want to join the corp and make it a part of my life but NOT my life.
Sorry, you can't 'part-time' the Marines. They can sense this apprehension and "part time" attitude and the recruiters are there to sniff it out and make sure the ones who join for a selfish cause are rooted out and kept out.

If you want to join the Marines, you have to want to become a Marine and be a Marine until the day you die, regardless of your period of service and whether you are active/inactive.

Here's my suggestion:

Keep that thought of 'Life after the marines' alive, lock it in a box in the back of your head and bury it deep. Then embrace the idea of becoming a Marine to your heart and committing every ounce of your mind and body towards it. Don't think of "once I'm out" or "once I'm done" or "once my MPS is over". Think about THAT at the end of your 4 years of active, when you can decide to remain active or transition to inactive and back to civvy life.

If you want to be a Marine but don't want to be deployed and don't want to be in a war zone, then I think you have a conflict of interests and the USMC will chew you up and spit you out.

Embrace everything it means to be a Marine, including combat and risk of death or serious injury, and let everything else go for the next few years. Either that, or don't bother going back to the recruiters office.

Just my thoughts.

cheers

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the ultimate truth is i don't want to be stuck with d1cks for 4 years straight. with limited and restricted time with women. I want to go reserves as well since there are other things in life that I want to accomplish such as pursue a PhD in Archaeology, which will be tough since i have no background. I have no problem otherwise.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Plinco said:
Are you serious!? You cannot join the marines? The only people that I knew that could not join the marines were either one guy I knew that did not graduate high school, and another that had a bad back injury.
He is talking about becoming an officer, it's not the same as enlisting. Becoming a Marine Officer is a whole new ball game.

Quiksilver said:
Keep applying if it's what you really want to do.

Hang around the recruiters office, pest them and call them every day.

Chances are somebody will be dropped out or kicked out or made ineligible, and if you're hanging around the recruiting office, you're likely to get in.
Impossible, this is not the same ball game. Enlisting is not the same as going into OCS.

They don't even get the same training.

AAAgent said:
enlisting is a lot easier than getting into OCS.

I'm looking toward reserves, possibly active but i would be done once my contract ends.
The officers that do the best are the ones that make it their life. Otherwise you're going to get wiped out by the "up or out" rules they have in there.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver

Ah my bad! I see your context now.

Yes, becoming an officer especially in the Marines, you are a Marine for life!

The baddest proudest mother****ers on the planet. In my home country, the Marines are the ones with most cost effective use and the proudest history in military / war history.

You can't go wrong with the Marines, but you can't go in and say "it's just part of me". It IS you. You ARE a Marine. Period.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
the ultimate truth is i don't want to be stuck with d1cks for 4 years straight. with limited and restricted time with women. I want to go reserves as well since there are other things in life that I want to accomplish such as pursue a PhD in Archaeology, which will be tough since i have no background. I have no problem otherwise.
You won't make it with that kind of attitude.

You need to know you are the best and be the best you can be. There are people in OCS that got kicked out because they didn't yell loud enough or didn't show enough initiative or etc. They'll find so many reasons to give you points and you're an easy target. You need to be the absolute best, the top. You cannot say **** like that.