Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Four Hour Work Week: Book RECO.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At first glance you think, "you've got to be kidding me, anybody working SO few hours can't be doing anything, making any money, or enjoying life, right?" At least that was my reaction. But after wading through about half the book on my home from Mount Washington, it totally flipped my thinking upside down. If you've not yet heard/read the book, Tim Ferriss, author is a Princeton grad who had the high-paying, death bringing jobs most college students seek after college. He began in sales, and moved around, until he founded his own company which put an even greater grip on his time and life. His move to self employment and ownership was meant to simplify life, not complicate it, but thats just what it did.

Throughout the book he zeroes in on doing what "Excites" you (not your passion, but makes you feel alive), and if you're not doing it now, how to transition your current job to free up time to do so. He challenges the reader's current thinking which puts retirement and enjoyment at the BACK end of a career. Tim points out how if you delay life and enjoyment until the back end...1) you may never have enough money to do what you want when the time comes 2) you'll break your balls so hard, you could die before "that day" comes 3) whats the purpose of productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness if we can't benefit from it? He also points out that MORE efficient employees/employers don't get more FREE time, they get more work. And in return, more money. Unfortunately in America we suffer from a GLUT of money, and a LACK of free time. Time is finite. Money, despite all thinking on the matter, IS not.

For example, he asks the question..."Whats the worst than can happen if you dropped everything now to follow your dream or your excitement? Write it out. Use a scale. List it out. Is it life threatening? But what if you GAIN the life you dream of? Isn't that worth it?" See, alot of people won't make the leap to whatever they dream, but remain ball and chained to what they hate for fear of losing...what they hate! lol. I never get that, even with older people or relatives. I think they're all masochists.

He writes very much like a late 20's author would write who attended an ivy league school. In fact, I would swear its tucker max. Not quite as blunt, but with the same creativity, directness, and wit. At one point he notes how firing 80% of his customer base INCREASED his money/income b/c it enabled him to focus on the 20% who were really bringing him big dough. And in doing so, he had to call those clients to effectively fire them, or get them to be good clients. He says about such a client. "I am going to kill you, be afraid. Be very afraid." ...After he suffered a year or more of ridicule and torture b/c he was following the mantra of "the customer is always right." At other junctions, he talks about the mentality of our society, its workaholic tendency, and how most are just miserable zombies filling the void with "stuff". Quite frankly, I'm not doing the book justice. I think it's awesome. It's easily over 300 pages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My feeling on that:

It mixes philosophy/theory with practical application and how-to steps, so it's not another RK. And just b/c he attended Princeton or went self employed, doesn't mean it doesn't apply to everyone. The first 100pages are nuggets of golden wisdom. And the application process is awesome. The minute I read it, I said "aha, that's me. I think like this! I need to do it." Because, like him, I'm self employed, and even if I wasn't, I'd still apply it to get semi self employed and control MY time. There's so many time wasters. But more than that, it puts you in the frame of mind to be EFFECTIVE. You can be EFFICIENT and do jack shyt. Or you can be effective in achieving your goals and highest order of excitement. What it also zeroes in is getting right to the essence of something and doing it.

Check it out, you'll be very happy you did.

A-Unit

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's definitely a good read though it's not for people who follow the norm by playing it safe. He has a unique perception on living life that definitely challenges conventional thinking (like saying 'screw-it' to time management).

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Tim's attitude throughout the whole book is perfect, IMO, for a young guy starting out, seeking direction to arrange their lives and live by a philosophy of work/play balance. I'm finding that much of our generation 21-30ish, are finding the excessive work, no play, save til retirement THEN enjoy life mantra flawed. Very flawed. Tim examines, explains as someone who has lived it, and then combats it with his book, through thinking and action.

One of his action oriented thoughts/tips:

- Don't wait til its perfect, the universe is never in perfect alignment. Act and course correct.

Another:

- Don't ask for permission, beg for forgiveness. Meaning, take action and apologize if it hurts anyone. If it doesn't you won out.

I definately wish I'd had the book when i'd finished college. It's amazing how many of the ineffective, inefficient things I observe daily in my life from other people and myself, both at work and home.

He very much seeks to simplify life. He advocates not tuning into any news, and suggests it can be had by contacting people you respect. He advocates avoiding most non-fiction self improvement books, suggesting you won't remember them, and "what's the point if they don't yield immediate results?" Also...if you have a plethora of time wasters and drama wusses in your life, he advocates getting rid of them. He seems like a guy who's walked the walked, and is now talking. He did the high profile job, had friends who did it, and saw the delayed life as wasted.

Actually...the only people I see who find such a man to be a problem are women who want to KNOW the man is steady and safe and will work 20 years, THEN retire with her. I think that's the aspect I find most deplorable about marriage. Marry, work/provide, then retire. Which is why I like this book b/c I couldn't do that. And I'd already felt like I was delaying life as it was by an If and When de facto policy.

A-Unit

sparky0000

Banned
Reaction score
The book is just plain silly. Much too vague to be of any real assistance. He lists absolutely insane ways to make money (example: become an inventor :rolleyes: ). He lists websites that are of no use. His recommended book list is odd to say the least. He mentions countries that are more in tune with the "gay" lifestyle than what most straight males would like. He brags non-stop. Hey! Being a tango star is not impressive. Sorry. Just isn't. Maybe the boys down in South Beach would like it, but any normal male will find it not too sexy.

His idea of how to find work in foreign towns is so funny. Take it from someone who spends every day he possible can in Ukraine - HE IS SO FULL OF IT. You gotta make your money back home. Then you leave until it runs out. It is the same process. Over and over. It isn't sexy, but it does work.

Meeting people is SO HARD in the places he mentions. Just is. It is easy in a place like Ukraine because so many beautiful girls will act interested in you if they know you are from the West. It is hard to not get a gf in Ukraine. In places like Germany and Argentina you will get very lonely if you do not have someone with you. Being lonely far away from home is tough for most.

The best advice he gave was to study a language. Just make sure you study one that will lead to what you want.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I with Sparky on this. It seems like a typical self-help book that's all philosophy and pipedreaming, and no action.

I love his philosophy and felt really inspired when I started reading the book, but I just wanted to know HOW to achieve this fantastic lifestyle and what ACTIONS to take. But he kept rambling on and on about how great it is living his life and all the things you could do if you only had to work 4 hours per week, yet it never gives any instructions on how to achieve it.

Telling you to become an inventor or set up your own business with no instructions how to do it, is as useful as saying, "Become a billionaire, then you don't have to worry about working".

It started annoying me when he starts talking about going out and holding eye contact with people, learning tango and things like that. How is any of that going to help keep a roof over my head and pay my bills? I don't need to be told how to spend my free time, I just want to know how to get more free time, that's why I read the book!

Sorry for the rant. I just hate self-help philosophy books that don't offer what they claim.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

As someone who is self-employed and still searching, I found alot of value in the beginning of the book. What he says for jobs? Well, I will see about that. However, HOW he arranges business, talks about batching, managing a business, in conjuction with the EMYTH, I can't see many other books so spot on about management, time managment.

I glanced over the tango rant. And didn't care about the international living so much. If he/you want to, go for it. My bigger concern was having a job not consume my life. His ideas on time management and thought process of Not SACRIFICING for more time for money intrigued me. He does give action plans on that.

I personally don't want succeed in a career or in business and have it gobble up more of my time, EVEN IF IT MEANS MORE MONEY. I don't want to play the IF AND WHEN again. When and IF i have enough, I'll do XYZ. Even RK talks about that.

And if people don't agree with the book, are there parts they do agree with? Who wouldn't want to work 4 hours a week? And if we could make it possible, better for us, and the customers of the world, why not? Personally speaking the more you unencumber a business the MORE you can focus on the best parts of the business FOR customers. Being there for them and giving them constantly the best product. But over time, sales will be dominated by service as you increase sales. So that's another area I found value. Plus, he gives alot of insite on SUBCONTRACTING your life, something very new for our generation.

All in all there's value. It's not a bible. It may not wholly revolutionize your life, but it WILL do things for you. It does provide value to the reader. If not at 100%, then pick pieces that do.

-his ideas on time management.
-how he reorganized his business to stop being a bottleneck and increase sales and time off
-his lesson on the $100 problem
-the Esquire magazine spot about the editor who outsourced his life.
-his thoughts on simplifying life and stopping the over analysis and paralysis we exp wtih too much information at our finger tips.

That's what I've gotten in just 140+....I've still got 50% to go.

A-Unit

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit said:
..All in all there's value. It's not a bible. It may not wholly revolutionize your life, but it WILL do things for you. It does provide value to the reader. If not at 100%, then pick pieces that do.

-his ideas on time management.
-how he reorganized his business to stop being a bottleneck and increase sales and time off
-his lesson on the $100 problem
-the Esquire magazine spot about the editor who outsourced his life.
-his thoughts on simplifying life and stopping the over analysis and paralysis we exp wtih too much information at our finger tips.
I dug his concept on time management (basically do away with it) and I've been practicing "delegation by empowerment" for years (huge time savings). The Esquire editor spot is making me expand my ideas about outsourcing. I already have people providing the upkeep of my house but I need to think about actually outsourcing my work. I know for a fact that I won't let some admin from India run interference between me and whatever woman/women I'm seeing at the time (talk about supplicating). But all in all I can see everything he expounds upon being done regularly by the new rich.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I apologise and stand corrected. I realise he does actually give some practical advice afterall. I had skipped over it trying to avoid his philosophic drivel (let's be honest, there's a lot of that), but he does tell you how to set up an online business and gives plenty of useful resources and tips.

This may actually be a very decent book if it was made more concise. But that can be said about most books!