Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Cardinal Rule of Relationships

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In any relationship, the person with the most power is the one who needs the other the least.

This is a foundation of any relationship, not just intersexual ones, but family, business, etc. relationships as well. It is a dynamic that is always in effect. For my own well being and that of my family's, I need my employer more than he needs me, ergo I get up for work in the morning and work for him. And while I am also a vital part for the uninterrupted continuance of his company and endeavours, he simply needs me less than I need him. Now I could win the lottery tomorrow or he may decide to cut my pay or limit my benefits, or I may complete my Masters Degree and decide that I can do better than to keep myself yoked to his cart indefinitely, thereby, through some condition either initiated by myself or not, I am put into a position of needing him less than he needs me. At this point he is forced into a position of deciding how much I am worth to his ambitions and either part ways with me or negotiate a furtherance of our relationship.

The same plays true for intersexual relationships. Whether you want to base your relationship on 'power' or not isn't the issue; it's already in play from your first point of attraction. You are acceptable to her for meeting any number of criteria and she meets your own as well. If this weren't the case you simply would not initiate a mutual relationship. This is the first comparisson we make with another individual - call it 'sizing up' if you like - but we make innate (and often unconscious) comparissons about everything and in the case of initial attraction we decide if the the other person is acceptable for our own intimacy. From this point it becomes a cooperative negotiation.

This principle isn't so much about 'power' as it is about control. This might sound like semantics, but it makes a difference. It's very easy to slip into binary arguments and think that what I mean by the cardinal rule of relationships is that one participant must absolutely rule over the other - a domineering dominate to a doormat submissive. Control in a healthy relationship passes back and forth as desire and need dictate for each partner. In an unhealthy realationship you have an unbalanced manipulation of this control by a partner. Although control is never in complete balance, it becomes manipulation when one partner, in essence blackmails, the other with what would otherwise be a reinforcer for the manipulated under a healthy circumstance. This happens for a plethora differenet reasons, but the condition comes about by two ways - the submissive participant becomes conditioned to allow the manipulation to occur and/or the dominate initiates the manipulation. In either case the rule still holds true - the one who needs the other the least has the most control. Nowhere is this more evident than in interpersonal relationships.

Too many people who I counsel and read my posts (here and elsewhere) assume that this Rule means that I'm advocating the maintaining a position of dominance at the expense of their partners; far from it. I do however advocate that people - young men in particular - develop a better sense of self-worth and a better understanding of their true efficacy in their relationships (assuming you decide to become involved in one). Don't get me wrong, both sexes are guilty of manipulation; Battered women go back to their abusive boyfriends/husbands and pvssy whipped men compromise themselves and their ambitions to better serve their girlfriends insecurities. My intent in promoting this Rule is to open the eyes of young men who are already predisposed to devaluing themselves and placing women as the goal of their lives rather than seeing themselves as the PRIZE to be sought after. Compromise is always going to be a part of any relationship, but what's key is realizing when that compromise becomes the result of manipulation, what is in effect and developing the confidence to be uncompromising in those situations. This is where a firm understanding of the cardinal rule of relationships becomes essential.

There's nothing wrong with backing down from an argument you have with your girlfriend, but there is something wrong when you continually compromise yourself in order to 'keep the peace' with the understanding that she'll withhold intimacy as a result of you holding your ground. That is a power play, also known as a 'sh!t test'. She initiates it thus becoming the controlling party. No woman's intimacy (i.e. sex) is ever worth that compromise because in doing so you devalue your own worth to her. Once this precident is set, she will progressively have less respect for you - exactly opposite of the popular conception that she'll appreciate your compromising for her and reward you for this. And really what are you compromising in order to achieve? Set in this condition, her intimacy. That isn't genuine desire or real interest in you, it's a subtle psychological test (that all too many men are unaware of) meant to determine who needs the other more. There is no more a superior confidence for a man than one with the self-understanding that he will not compromise himself for the recognized manipulations of a woman, and the fortitude to walk away knowing he can and will find a better prospect than her. This is the man who passes the sh!t test. It's called 'enlightened self-interest', and a principle I wholely endorse.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Finally, another Bible-worthy post.

Thank you.

frivolousz21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that is am amazing POST!

I totally agree 100000 percent

sometimes people forget that there is a power struggle at all.

because sometimes the power is 50.1 percent to 49.9 but its never even

Caveman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent post!

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This baby should stay on top for a while.

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This post is superb.

True understanding of what Rollo Tomassi is saying leads to a whole new perspective about relationships in general.

I happened to read this and later started to talk to many many people. It's interesting when you have this little sentence in your mind and act on it. People crave a hell lot more for your attention.

pressure0354

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heyyy true post man.

I got a question. I am kind of at a lack of people to hang with besides my girlfriend. It seems like she has the power. Ive been with ehr for 3 months. How can I gain some powerback? Not call her and let her call, not initiating sex?

Tazman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Geezus this post was on point! One of my good friends was a (frustrated) virgin until he decided to hook up with a girl who was really into him (although he didn't share the same level of interest in her). She began the power play and he broke it off with her. I was like "way to go man!." However, he hadn't hooked up with any other girls and he started craving her "booty" again. She came over to the apt many times literally crying all fvcking day, and it was getting on my nerves.

He decided to get back with her, but guess what..............it was on HER terms from that moment on. He even told me that she was withholding sex at certain times. Now he's confinced she is a great person (she is a very nice girl), but he doesn't realize that it came at HIS expense. Damn near everything he does is with her, and if she has a problem with him doing something she will nag the fvck out of him until he submits.

One time he invites me to hang out at this club him and her were going to. He knows I don't dance and stuff, so I thought it was a little weird that he invited me. It turns out that when they go to these clubs it's also with "her" friends and she pays more attention to them rather than him when they go. Poor guy.............

BrWnSugaMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi,

What do you do for a living? You mentioned something about counseling people.

BigFoot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alot of lofty rhetoric to explain something that is pretty basic and commonsense.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The way i see it, a relationship where you worry about every single compromise and "power shift" is a lrelationship not worthy to be in. How many nice guys fall in the trap of being a jerk becuase they started reading Sosuave tips on power struggle. How many of them disected every single move and every single conversation in order to figure out if they are more worthy or less worthy becuase of it?

I noticed something lately: when i am hanging out with friends and girls, i dont think twice about anything. I say what i think, and i do what i want. However, when i look back, and the "master yoda DJ" inside me tried to analyze all that, i realize that i was doing everything right... subconsciously! It is a great confidence boost.. to know that being yourself is THE WAY you always wanted to be.

I advice you guys not to become stubborn and notice every detail. Some arguments should be backed out from.

The way i see it, SEX should NEVER be used as a tool in arguments. (and power struggle). Sex is on another level. We have it this many times a week. No questions. If she is trying to use sex...well guys, i would laugh as im slamming that door behind me.

Caveman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oxide
The way i see it, a relationship where you worry about every single compromise and "power shift" is a lrelationship not worthy to be in. How many nice guys fall in the trap of being a jerk becuase they started reading Sosuave tips on power struggle. How many of them disected every single move and every single conversation in order to figure out if they are more worthy or less worthy becuase of it?

I noticed something lately: when i am hanging out with friends and girls, i dont think twice about anything. I say what i think, and i do what i want. However, when i look back, and the "master yoda DJ" inside me tried to analyze all that, i realize that i was doing everything right... subconsciously! It is a great confidence boost.. to know that being yourself is THE WAY you always wanted to be.

I advice you guys not to become stubborn and notice every detail. Some arguments should be backed out from.

The way i see it, SEX should NEVER be used as a tool in arguments. (and power struggle). Sex is on another level. We have it this many times a week. No questions. If she is trying to use sex...well guys, i would laugh as im slamming that door behind me.
Oxide, you are very right. But I must say that it takes theory and practice to obtain a skill, any skill.
The AFCguys, if you will, that come here haven't got a clue. They need to understand these things to realize what they are doing wrong. They still have to change their way of thinking.

By trying to apply these rules, some slip into the phase of being a jerk but it's all about trying to balance their former AFC and transforming into a 'DJ' or better man. At first they will try and analyze every little thing but once they find the balance and get more practice, eventually, they know this stuff from within and they will act subconsciously.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SUGAMAN: I'm actually the art direct for Van Gogh Vodkas at present but I'm pursuing my Masters in Psych at FSU in the fall this year.

OXIDE: I understand what you're getting at, and yes it 'should' be a natural understanding of control and balance in that control, but all too often there isn't. We all know 'natural' DJs who for some reason seem to innately attract women or know how to maintain this control balance in an LTR. This understanding is generally due to having a role model (such as a strong father) that they pattern after or in other cases come from a family where they were raised learning the dynamics of control in a healthy way. Sadly this is fast becoming an uncommon case in western society, but you can see this evidenced in many latin cultures. Without turning this into a rant about the evils of feminized assimilations in western culture (notice I didn't say 'feminist'), positive masculinity is hardly encouraged and quite often ridiculed.

That said, men with this innate understanding are in fact 'being themselves' and don't tend to recognize why any other guy would need to have control dynamics or the cardinal rule of relationships ever spelled out for them in the first place. They ought to know, right? But they don't make this connection naturally or never learned it from their upbrining and in response to this they develop coping techniques or internalize mental schemes that help them, albeit misguidedly, come to terms with their own lack of understanding.

What you say is definitely true, there shouldn't be a need to pick apart every little nuance of control in an LTR, but unfortunately a lot of young men allow themselves to devolve into a position of impotency in a relationship because they lack a fundament understanding of their own self-worth from never having learned the cardinal rule of relationships.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bump

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True, but has to be GENUINE

What I mean by that is to watch out for siutuations in which you and the gal are both aware of this... it could turn into a "2 mirrors reflecting off each other" situation.

In other words, don't "play chicken." Just do what feels right, rather than playing too hard to get for the sake of appearances. If she overdoes it, too bad for her, you have others, after all...

AMF

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its easy being a jerk

Its easy being a nice guy

The hard part is the balancing act.

There is only oine way to balance a set of scales:

trial and error
add and substract

PUSH and PULL, in other words.