Telling Whether a Girl Is Interested in You

REd-xL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Really, most guys are completely oblivious when a girl is showing interest. What I'm going to try to do here is coach y'all into noticing the most subtle cues girls give.

These are the basics everyone should be aware of (primarily for when you're talking to a girl):

1. Laughing at every joke you make, even the lame ones.
2. Touching you in anyway, from a tap on the wrist to tickling.
3. Lots of eye contact.
4. Leaning forward, shoulders square towards you.
5. Heightened posture.
6. Lots of head-nodding, head-tilting.
7. Smiling (of course).
8. Mirroring your body stance.

*note: Beware of very extraverted girls, as they naturally display all these attributes to anyone. They're very hard to read, and often you can't tell how they feel about you until you make a move.

Less noticeable (these all have to do with eye contact, the most essential tool at reading people):

1. If you find a girl making lasting eye contact with you. When we stare at girls, 95% of the time it's because they're attractive. Guess what? Women are just as human.
2. When a girl looks down, then rolls her eyes around when you catch her looking at you. I don't know the sceince behind this one, but trust my experiences with it: it's gold.
3. When you catch her looking at you at least 3 times. Unless you look familiar or you look like the elephant man, there's only one other reason she's looking at you, playa.

Now the point of all this: act on these cues (to confirm them)! It could be from a simple head-nod to a wave of the hand. If you get some sort of positive reply (commonly enough a smile), then go in for the kill. If you don't react to the subtle clues, she's gonna lose interest. If you react but do nothing, you'll look like even more of a pansy.

It's fine to be able to read people, but it does no good if you don't act on it. My bud and I were chillin at a bar, and he was pointing out how well he could read the flirting language of people at the bar. He sounded really sure of his readings, and they were usually spot-on. Then he told me to calmly look over my shoulder, because he just noticed a girl check him out. Of course, he sat there and did nothing about it, so you can see how far inaction gets you. (I later dragged him to the dance floor and got some girls to gang-freak him so he wouldn't feel at a loss for the night.)

Please don't be like my friend. What good is knowledge if all you use it for is observation? We live in a passive world, and it's the ambitious individuals who get results.

Rx

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like being able to read people well. I can spot girl's who are interested pretty well, and in general i can predict what women/men will do next.

I love when you are looking at someone, and they see you looking and look away. That just makes me feel so good ;) :p

thejuice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
An interesting i find is that when i see an ugly girl, i keep on looking at her...because shes so, well, ugly

Its like i need to find out why she is so ugly and im curious how somebody can be so unattractive. I dont know...i cant explain it

Then comes that moment when she catches you looking! You quickly look away and wait for her to look away with your peripheral vision. You focus and when she turns, its back to staring

Youre thinking, damn, shes so ugly

You would think that that sort of thing would make you look away but instead it makes me want to look more!

And when the process is repeated a number of times, you think, oh crap! She thinks i like her!

Then you try to avoid contact with her. Still, that urge is there to keep looking...but you dont want her to think you like her...i mean, shes ugly

So now youre fighting yourself from looking again at that beast. You look with some quick glances and keep in that cycle. The more you think she thinks you like her, the more you think about looking

How weird is that

Anyway, whats my point? Its that when a girl looks at you, it dosent mean that she likes you. It might mean that youre really ugly...

lol

Red, i like being reminded about these sort of things. Although you see a lot of this posted...i got someting new out of it. Its that thing about flirty chicks. I think i knew before but now i know for sure that its something i will consider

REd-xL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by thejuice
Anyway, whats my point? Its that when a girl looks at you, it dosent mean that she likes you. It might mean that youre really ugly...
That's my point about the elephant man.

People need to realaize that they're going to naturally be checked out by people of similar or less attractiveness. But then you get lucky, sometimes.

Play with the cards you're dealt, is the common sense. Don't feed the kitty with all your chips when all you've got is a pair of eights, jack high.

Rx

StuartScott x 2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
RED great post as always. It's been about 6 months since I posted about getting girls while waiting tables and in that 6 month span I've gotten over 10 numbers of attractive girls at the job but I reeeealllyyyy messed up bad yesterday.

Some chick that came with 2 fat girls sat in smoking. It was my first time seeing her so I waited on them and noticed in my peripheral vision that she was checking me out and making sure Iheard her say thank you bla bla bla. So they leave, the girl that was checking me out came in again about 3 hours later with some other chick and some dude and I talk to her for a second saying stuff like "you must love IHOP b/c this is your second time back tonight" and I talk to the table for a while and the girl keeps making funny comments and smiling at me even hwen I'm not looking at her. Anyway I fukked it up as usual by waiting for the perfect opportunity. It slowed down and I was waiting for them to leave so I could talk to her as she walked out but as they were leaving it got really busy and I got slammed with a few tables and they ended up leaving. :mad:

Just wanted to get that off my chest but good post red.

Evil-Rom

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
,-._|\ ................... ............ / Aus \ ..
Originally posted by thejuice
An interesting i find is that when i see an ugly girl, i keep on looking at her...because shes so, well, ugly

Its like i need to find out why she is so ugly and im curious how somebody can be so unattractive. I dont know...i cant explain it

Then comes that moment when she catches you looking! You quickly look away and wait for her to look away with your peripheral vision. You focus and when she turns, its back to staring

Youre thinking, damn, shes so ugly

You would think that that sort of thing would make you look away but instead it makes me want to look more!

And when the process is repeated a number of times, you think, oh crap! She thinks i like her!

Then you try to avoid contact with her. Still, that urge is there to keep looking...but you dont want her to think you like her...i mean, shes ugly

So now youre fighting yourself from looking again at that beast. You look with some quick glances and keep in that cycle. The more you think she thinks you like her, the more you think about looking

How weird is that

lol

Red, i like being reminded about these sort of things. Although you see a lot of this posted...i got someting new out of it. Its that thing about flirty chicks. I think i knew before but now i know for sure that its something i will consider
LOL, are you me? Cos thats what I've done plenty of times! :D

bob2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by REd-xL
Really, most guys are completely oblivious when a girl is showing interest. What I'm going to try to do here is coach y'all into noticing the most subtle cues girls give.

These are the basics everyone should be aware of (primarily for when you're talking to a girl):

1. Laughing at every joke you make, even the lame ones.
2. Touching you in anyway, from a tap on the wrist to tickling.
3. Lots of eye contact.
4. Leaning forward, shoulders square towards you.
5. Heightened posture.
6. Lots of head-nodding, head-tilting.
7. Smiling (of course).
8. Mirroring your body stance.

*note: Beware of very extraverted girls, as they naturally display all these attributes to anyone. They're very hard to read, and often you can't tell how they feel about you until you make a move.

Less noticeable (these all have to do with eye contact, the most essential tool at reading people):

1. If you find a girl making lasting eye contact with you. When we stare at girls, 95% of the time it's because they're attractive. Guess what? Women are just as human.
2. When a girl looks down, then rolls her eyes around when you catch her looking at you. I don't know the sceince behind this one, but trust my experiences with it: it's gold.
3. When you catch her looking at you at least 3 times. Unless you look familiar or you look like the elephant man, there's only one other reason she's looking at you, playa.

Now the point of all this: act on these cues (to confirm them)! It could be from a simple head-nod to a wave of the hand. If you get some sort of positive reply (commonly enough a smile), then go in for the kill. If you don't react to the subtle clues, she's gonna lose interest. If you react but do nothing, you'll look like even more of a pansy.

It's fine to be able to read people, but it does no good if you don't act on it. My bud and I were chillin at a bar, and he was pointing out how well he could read the flirting language of people at the bar. He sounded really sure of his readings, and they were usually spot-on. Then he told me to calmly look over my shoulder, because he just noticed a girl check him out. Of course, he sat there and did nothing about it, so you can see how far inaction gets you. (I later dragged him to the dance floor and got some girls to gang-freak him so he wouldn't feel at a loss for the night.)

Please don't be like my friend. What good is knowledge if all you use it for is observation? We live in a passive world, and it's the ambitious individuals who get results.
Rx
All of that plus kino, and trying to change me. Asked me why I didn't smile enough (donno if thats positive). This girl seemed really interested. I'm about to ask her to the prom. And "she" asks someone else. Boy did I read her wrong.

I'm a semi pro poker player btw, and I read people on a daily basis, males / females alike, not just in the game but in life.

dip

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great to see u back Rx...nice post...the main point was good ACT ON IT!! dont just let a girl do these thigns to you, and you to sit in the corner...GO TALK TO HER!

qustion-if you already know the girl and she does these things to you - set up a date? number close?

RedHerring

Don Juan
Reaction score
How about her asking you if she looks alright or apologizes for her appearance when there's nothing really wrong with her?

Means she's interested in your opinion?

REd-xL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dip
qustion-if you already know the girl and she does these things to you - set up a date? number close?
Depends on the nature of your relationship. If it's a casual friendship, then go for it. Just remember that being friends with a girl is never a total loss either. Some of my best friends are girls, and we'd give the world for each other. Funny though, because I approached most of them with the intention of dating. And remember, cute girls have cute friends, so it's definitely to your advantage to have them in your corner.

But yeah, no reason you shouldn't try to seal the deal.

Rx

REd-xL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedHerring
How about her asking you if she looks alright or apologizes for her appearance when there's nothing really wrong with her?

Means she's interested in your opinion?
Not so much interested in your opinion as fishing for flattery.

Rx

Dee-Zy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RED XL IS BACK BABY!!!

I'll read your tip latter but what's your email/AIM/MSN so we can talk? I need to exchange some words.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3. Lots of eye contact.
Very true in most cases, but there have been times when I was out with a more reserved girl that would specifically avoid eye contact early on.

Also, I've heard from younger female friends that they are intimidated by older men. They might have interest, but if they see you as being on a higher plane they may hesitate to look you in the eye in the beginning. Gotta warm 'em up.

Clint Eastwood

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a few to add

9. She compliments you. Yes! Women do compliment men that they like. Compliments aren't just something AFCs do to try to get women.

10. If you're silent, she asks, "What are you thinking?"

11. She's very curious about you. She asks lots of personal questions because she wants to size you up and know what makes you tick.

12. She takes the initiative to sit closer to you or be near you. This kind of goes along with her touching you.

sAxyguy83

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Rx
Couldn't be more true. I've let too many lose interest after I've seen signals and ignored them, or chickening out like your buddy. Acting on cues are KEY. Don't act on the first ones or you will come off as desperate or lose the fun of chasing. After a couple when she seems a little more frustrated or blatant is when you move in for the kill.

Another thing you should notice from a couple of these post is the use of "peripheral vision" It lets us (DJ's) see what is going on and keep an eye on things without "keeping an eye on things" I do it all the time, so even if you are giving girls tons of attention, they don't know it.