Tell her I was engaged before?

BULL3TPR00F

Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently broke up with my fiancé in January. I am very happy with my decision and have begun dating other girls. I met a new girl and am not planning to hide the fact that I was engaged before. When the topic comes up, how should I go about telling her?

Should I tell her that I was in a "serious" relationship and save the details for later? should I tell her that I was engaged and it just "didnt work out and is in the past"? Or should I tell her I was engaged and tell her why it didnt work out?

I am hoping that she will still date me after I tell her. She's 22 and I'm 26

ecko280

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't tell her to just tell her. If it ever comes up, then tell her. But tell her in a "whatever" kind of tone.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BULL3TPROOF:

This is actually good for you if you play it right. By having been engaged, you have the "proof" that you were once good enough for some other girl's life plans - and YOU decided not to do it (read: options).

Like ecko said, don't bring it up. And if she does, just say "everything was good, we went our separate ways amicably" and leave it at that. I.e. it just wasn't the right time for you two.

Believe me, I'm getting divorced, have thought this over myself and talked to friends about how to address it.

As an aside, practice saying whatever you say with a devilish smirk on your face. You don't want to look forlorn or angry or relieved. The devilish, knowing smile is a way of communicating a) a dash of hedonism and b) your ability to attract women who want to keep you.

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree I would definitely not hide it. I wouldn't parade it around but if it gets to that I'd tell her. Most women love to hear that you'd even consider marriage.

I remember asking a chick "What would raise more red flags for you ... a 40 year old guy who was married 3 times or a 40 year old guy who was never married?"

Without hesitation the chick said the guy who'd never been married would raise more red flags. This is true for most women who aren't themselves 35+ and never married :)