Techniques 101: The anecdote

Valdez

Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing that I have found to have worked consistently in a wide variety of situations is having a short but funny story that catches someone off guard. I have quite a few of these and I have practiced them to the point they just come natural.

Now, I'll be honest, being ****y/funny does work, but I do find newer DJ's tend to overdue the ****iness. In my opinion, confident/funny would be a better term to use, as although they are similair, there is a fine line between being ****y and being confident that many fail to understand.

Back to the original point, always have a story or two ready to go. For example I was invited to have dinner with a girl, her friend, and her friend's boyfriend, both of whom I had never met. Now, as we were sitting down I was able to identify that they weren't really too sure how to act and it was up to me to put them at ease, so I had to transition into a greet to a story right off the bat, here's how it went..

As we sit down I say,"How's it goin guys?" They reply with the usual "good, how about you." Most people tend to pass up this chance to get things started but personally I don't, so I was like

"Oh, I'm doing great now, this morning was insane, you wouldn't believe what happened..." I stopped there and gave them the chance to interact and respond with,

"Oh, what happened?"

"Well, I was running late to work right, like, I was already kind of worried when I pull up to the light right before work when all of a sudden I get rear-ended..."

"You serious? That sucks."

"well thats not the crazy part, get this, the guy jumps out of his car and its this red hot dwarf, like steaming out the ears, waving his arms everywhere shouting profanities. Like, I'm thinking to myself,"Holy crap, I'm going to have to fight a dwarf". It was just crazy..."

"Well, what happened"

"Well, the dwarf runs up to my window and screams to me at the top of his lungs,"I am not happy!", so somewhat confused, I'm like..."Well...than which one are you?" (this one requires some comedic timing)

It took them a few seconds to get the punchline and realize I'm not serious, but after that they were at ease and their guards were down, making it much easier to use a few tactics here and there. By the end of the dinner the guy's stomach was hurting and I swear to god not only the girl I was with wanted to f*ck me, but her friend as well.

Stories like these will work wonders.

Schmuck

Don Juan
Reaction score
took me a few... seconds....

where did you get this story ?

AND

One BIG problem I have is that I tend to laugh prior to the punch line. I can't keep a straight face.

Valdez

Don Juan
Reaction score
The story is actually just a joke that was applied as if it really happened to me. Actually very easy. But the best stories are actually your real ones. One story I like to tell when things are going good is my Krispy Kreme story.

It goes something like this,

"Yeah, when I was younger I was a party animal like you wouldn't believe, but of course there were consequences. Like back when I was 17 I was working at Krispy Kreme over the summer, worst job ever let me tell you, and I frequently would have to wake up around 5am, problem was I wouldn't get home from partying til around 2 or 3. Well this one time I happened to come home around 3...I was drunk, so I passed out, all of a sudden my mom is waking me up telling me I'm late for work...I look at the time and I'm like "oh crap". Still tipsy and half asleep I throw on my work clothes as fast as possible and run out the door, but before I could exit the house my mom stops me...I'm like,"what is it, I gotta go" She says something that I will remember for the rest of my life....,"Brian, you are wearing my pants." I look down and the pants only go down a lil below my calf and are skin tight. Needless to say, I called work and quit that instant.

Kid Style

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo. This post is golden! I agree that the best funny stories are YOUR life situations. They are new to everyone and it seems like you are not trying to ACT funny. If you can't think of anything funny in your life, just add something. Turn one situation in your life into a big twist. Who would care if it is only 80% true?

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great technique I love it. I hate those instances of tension when you meet someone and you feel that barrier around her that you have to work your way into penetrating, but for some reason a funny joke always breaks that barrier. I remember one time we were all bored and my friends brought these girls I didn't know and we were never introduced. Five people, the two girls included, decided to make a star by holding hands. I had my right hand out shaped as a gun and told them "Hey you guys know I can make a star with just this thing?" They were like "What the hell I wanna see," I was like "Are you really ready for this? ok." I slowly raised my hand towards underneath my chin as if I looked like a Hollywood star, and then gave them a smile. They all bursted out laughing and I got to know the two girls.