Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Teach me how to fight

BPH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll be going to college soon and I'll probably need to deal with my fair share of douchebags. I have a black belt in Kenpo Karate and played plenty of football, so I know I can take and deal punishment. But I never had formal MMA training.

So...teach me how to fight. I'm 6ft tall 180lbs if that matters.

The Experience

Don Juan
Reaction score
Watch some Russian systema

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How did you get the karate black belt? How long did it take? Is that a youth rank or adult? Have you competed in any tournaments?

I'd say to just continue your formal instruction in martial arts. Get better at striking and then pick up a grappling art like wrestling or jiu-jitsu. If you can't afford lessons, there might be a club at your school that practices together.

The more well-trained you become, the less interested you will be in getting into street fights. That's just one of the many benefits of martial arts.

Senzoi

Don Juan
Reaction score
BPH said:
I'll be going to college soon and I'll probably need to deal with my fair share of douchebags. I have a black belt in Kenpo Karate and played plenty of football, so I know I can take and deal punishment. But I never had formal MMA training.

So...teach me how to fight. I'm 6ft tall 180lbs if that matters.
You're not going to learn sh1t about scrapping from words on a screen. Get out of the house, scout a local MMA gym that fits your bill, and hit the mat.

That is all.

~ Senzoi

Hustlaz Ambition

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would advise you to try to avoid fighting as much as possible to avoid criminal charges and all that **** on your record. But sometimes you gotta kick some ass I know(been there before). Only advice I can give to you other than to go to a boxing or MMA gym is to stay in good condition. Most are not going to be willing to fight you if you are jacked, and 99% of the dudes are dumb enough to ACTUALLY fight you are going to get their ass kicked cause they will gas in 20 seconds and have a glass chin while you will not. If the person is taller than you keep it inside, if they are shorter use your reach.

BPH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok I don't know how to multi-quote, so I'm just going to address a few things.

1. I don't expect to learn how to fight from text on a screen. I'm hoping somebody will point me in the direction of videos that can teach certain techniques (pressure point, disabling, etc.)

2. I wouldn't get criminal charges if I were defending myself from somebody who is 18 years or older, and stopped when I had won. But I expect that I'll have to deal with some rowdy guys in college after they get drunk at a bar or I end up with a girl they lost.

3. I feel like these questions were rhetorical but I finished Kenpo Karate with a black belt after 7 years at the age of 14. It is a youth rank because I was not really big and tall and didn't practice with adults. Competed in 3 tournaments. Always finished 1st in sparring and placed among the top 3 in Kata.

I'd like to learn pressure points because that could teach me how to end a fight before it even had the chance to begin.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. Learning from books and videos can only give you ideas for training with a real-life sparring partner and trainer. Otherwise, you will just develop bad habits in form and a false sense of confidence. I would prefer quality in-person instruction in any martial art over training off youtube. I don't care if it's Tae Kwon Do. 'Kick 'em in the nuts and run away before the cops arrive' is the best street fighting move you're ever going to learn anyway :D

Shockwavedave

Don Juan
Reaction score
You sound as if you go looking for trouble.

People who go looking for fights are arseholes who will make nothing of their lives.

How about going back and learning another martial art, i.e. how to defend yourself

BPH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shockwavedave said:
You sound as if you go looking for trouble.

People who go looking for fights are arseholes who will make nothing of their lives.

How about going back and learning another martial art, i.e. how to defend yourself
Do you really think that after spending 4 years in college...between parties and hanging out at bars, that I won't come across some d!ckhead drunk off his stool that wants to fight?

I just want to know how to end a conflict quickly. Doesn't mean I have to beat the crap out of him, I just want to know how to disable somebody. Got me thinking after somebody posted a clip from Louie on the Discussion Forum where a guy tried to pick a fight with Louie.

I just want to be ready for things like that.

And as far as learning another martial art, I'd want to learn boxing, I don't know if my college has any clubs like that though.

Senzoi

Don Juan
Reaction score
BPH said:
Do you really think that after spending 4 years in college...between parties and hanging out at bars, that I won't come across some d!ckhead drunk off his stool that wants to fight?

I just want to know how to end a conflict quickly. Doesn't mean I have to beat the crap out of him, I just want to know how to disable somebody. Got me thinking after somebody posted a clip from Louie on the Discussion Forum where a guy tried to pick a fight with Louie.

And as far as learning another martial art, I'd want to learn boxing, I don't know if my college has any clubs like that though.
Any of the **** that is 'taught' over youtube are things you can learn from applying common sense.

For example:

If it's not an ego-based engagement (i.e. this mofo really wants to hurt you bad), then you go for anything you can get your hands on and don't go light on using rocks and tire irons to bash his worthless head in.

If it is a fight to 'prove a point', you better have worked up your stamina by training with boxers, wrestlers, or MMA stylists to make sure you're conditioned against taking blows and feeling the rush of a fight before deciding to stick your freshman face straight into a set of brass knuckles.

~ Senzoi

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You really should be careful with what you think you can be prosecuted for. The guy has to make the first move, often physical for it to be considered self-defence. This doesn't mean you have to take the first punch, but don't retaliate until he becomes agressive and pushes you or so.

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BPH said:
Whose to say you won't be that d!ckhead drunk off his stool? :cheer:

If your drinking at college and partying, you well could find yourself in that role. And if you get in a fight as that drunk, expect it to be real real scrappy, no matter how much training you've done. Drunk = uncoordinated!

BPH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gaucho said:
Whose to say you won't be that d!ckhead drunk off his stool? :cheer:

If your drinking at college and partying, you well could find yourself in that role. And if you get in a fight as that drunk, expect it to be real real scrappy, no matter how much training you've done. Drunk = uncoordinated!
Based on track record I'm not an angry drunk. But good point.

Shockwavedave

Don Juan
Reaction score
BPH said:

I did it for 4 years at college.

Boxing is definitely a good thing to train at. Will keep you super fit

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Street fighting is a waste of time. Waiting for someone to make the first move is asking to get injured. Not waiting invites legal problems. The law of self defence makes little sense, except maybe in Florida, and you saw how that worked out.

Natural thugs always prefer to strike first, and with the support of a group. They also like weapons, so maybe you should take a martial art which specializes in dealing with knife attacks from a group of attackers or how to deflect a broken glass thrown at your face. The world is not "Karate Kid". They don't reluctantly kick out your bad leg, they joyfully punch you from behind, when you aren't ready.

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ElChoclo said:
Street fighting is a waste of time. Waiting for someone to make the first move is asking to get injured. Not waiting invites legal problems.
Very well said.

Its a lose-lose situation!

elite7

Don Juan
Reaction score
systema,judo,mma,boxing I live in florida got easy access to them:):cheer:

Juan Don

Don Juan
Reaction score
dealing with douchebags on the street and mma are totally different. you can't armbar a bullet or getting jumped by a group. there's no ref. choose your battles wisely. house parties are not the octagon. beer bottles are fair game and so are bar stools. believe me i know lol

if you want to learn pressure points train jeet kune do or wing chun.

you learned kenpo. nice. so do you know a little arnis too? roll up a newspaper and hit a guy with an forward upward motion to the nose. it'll break their nose.

be aware of your surroundings and what you can use as a weapon.